PDA

View Full Version : Knicker recommendations

luv2cycle
01-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know of any GOOD knickers with a chamois that can do a century? I own a pair of Sheila Moon's, but the chamois does not offer enough padding for the real long rides. I love my PI microcensor shorts - great chamois, and hate knee warmers (too much elastic). Any recommendations appreciated.

Selkie
01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
PI Sugar Knickers have a light chamois, nothing like the microsensor shorts, though. Wouldn't want to wear them while riding a century. The Sheila Moon knee warmers don't have elastic, if you want to give them a try.

slinkedog
01-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Hey Luv, I don't have the Shebeest knicker that they sell here on TE (I think it's the Pedal Pusher), but I do own a pair of the shorts with the same chamois. I think it would be substantial enough for a century. If you can find any Shebeest bottoms with the SheLastic Chamois, that's the same one that's in the Pedal Pusher. Love that chamois. :)

DeniseGoldberg
01-30-2006, 02:45 PM
If you love your PI shorts, I suspect that you won't be happy with the Shebeest knickers. Just my own experience - I wear PI ultrasensors, tried several of the Shebeest shorts and just couldn't wear them. On in between days I add PI knee warmers and don't really notice any extra elastic.

Hope you find the right answer for you!

--- Denise

maillotpois
02-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I just got a pair of the Ground Effects Witches Britches (they were the subject of another thread here with all the links and everything). I love them. Just tested them out on an 80 miler, and I am sure they would be great for a century.

The knees truly are warm! These are great knickers.

yellow
02-04-2006, 03:35 PM
OK, when I get a real job, I'm getting me some of those Witches Britches. :D

I've been following this thread because I too am a knicker fan and am looking for the perfect pair. The Shebeest stuff doesn't seem to fit me well. The Sugar Knicker's chamois is not enough for a century. And I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate leg and knee warmers, elastic or no. I really like the chamois that is in the Sugoi Evolution short, and apparently they make a hard-to-find knicker that I may track down if I don't go for the Witches Britches.

Oh, BTW Maillotpois, what was the total USD damage?

maillotpois
02-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Oh, BTW Maillotpois, what was the total USD damage?

I don't know. I threw away the evidence (bag w/customs label, receipt) so quickly that I didn't even look at the receipt! DH was kind of looking at them this morning, and I could tell the wheels were spinning and he was wondering if they were new - but he didn't ask. We have made a pact not to spend money right now. Oops.

I estimate they were in the $80 range including shipping. I will amortize them over many rides....

yellow
02-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I'd happily pay $80 for a good pair. I think the Sugoi ones are $90.

Oh, believe me, I understand the pact not to spend $. We have one right now too. Used to be we didn't have to worry about it...but now we do. So, I have to wait until I get a job (we recently did an 800 mile relocation for HIS job) before I get my new knicks! :(

Trek420
02-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I wore the PI knickers on AIDS ride last year, my butt was very comfy.

I also have Terry, REI, and some Castelli. Castelli's nice but the others while fine for training, casual or commute, I would not wear them on a century.

Knee warmers are popular and great for most folks, I have to keep my legs warm all the time so might as well wear the knickers.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=17198

Speaking of keeping knees warm, anyone use the embrocations? I have read they are good

http://www.torelli.com/record/record.shtml

jobob
02-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Hey, warm knees are important ! Better $80-ish spent on a very useful piece of clothing, than the incalcuable amt spent on medicine, phys therapy and lost bike time if you messed up your knees.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Anything else you'd like for me to rationalize for you, MP? ;)

Seriously, my knees were acting up a bit until fairly recently, and I'm finding that keeping them warm helps a lot. I bought a great pair of SportHill tights (no chamois - I wear them over my shorts) from TE which have worked superbly for my early am rides, but they're going to be overkill for daytime riding once it starts warming up a little. So I'm seriously looking into the Witches Britches for that in-between season.

Too bad TE doesn't carry them, but as Susan had explained on a different thread, there's no US distributor at the present time, and they don't choose to be a distributor. Oh well.

snapdragen
02-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Got my Witches Britches about a week ago - tomorrow is their maiden flight....er..wearing. Price came to $79.11, about what you'd pay for a good pair of knickers in the US.

I'll report back tomorrow!

SadieKate
02-04-2006, 04:32 PM
What's the link again and is there a pic of the chamois? Thanks, ma'am.

I love my Shebeest for mountainbiking but not so happy about a road century. The Terry chamois is a close 2nd so again only a mtbike or short road ride option. I like thin, flat chamois for mountainbiking because the chamois and the saddle have an ongoing tangle otherwise.

snapdragen
02-04-2006, 04:40 PM
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product_detail.php?style=WIT&category=WOM#

Danger - you may want to shop...

SadieKate
02-04-2006, 04:41 PM
As long as I don't have to go to a mall, s'okay.

SadieKate
02-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Ooh, I like the names, plus Toasty Pie has thumb loopies.

So, the sizing verdict. Snap and MP and et al, can you compare to the PI Ultra/Microsensor, Castelli or Shebeest sizing? Or anything other brand?

Veronica
02-04-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm thinking hard about ordering some and the ice queen jersey (I think that's the name.)

V.

SadieKate
02-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Is there a savings for volume shipping? Tomorrow is going to be a perfect knicks day as well as when Spring is sprung.

jobob
02-04-2006, 05:13 PM
LOL, I was actually thinking they would be really good for you, V. !

Veronica
02-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Shipping is based on weight. Sizing seems right in line with other manufacturers. I appear to be a medium. Sturdy and average. :D

V.

crazycanuck
02-05-2006, 01:15 AM
Hey,

It's good to see you ladies supporting Ground effect...I love my tom thumbs so much.....The ice queen is great too...I could buy all thier gear...In fact I do have almost all of thier bike gear...:D

Anywho, i picked up a copy of the latest Australian mtb mag & they tested 15 brands..And the ones they rated high were from Ground effect, MOuntain designs, oakley & n-zo( a nz based brand as well.).

c

kiwi girl
02-06-2006, 11:29 AM
In case you hadn't noticed, if you click on the little picture of the chamois it pops up bigger (says she supporting Ground Effects whose office is two blocks from where she sits)

maillotpois
02-06-2006, 03:37 PM
So, the sizing verdict. Snap and MP and et al, can you compare to the PI Ultra/Microsensor, Castelli or Shebeest sizing? Or anything other brand?

The sizing does seem fairly well in line with PI and castelli. I wear L PI and Castelli, XL Assos (probably because they have that intimidating model) and pretty much L everything else (I'm about 5'9" and a 10 - 12 in "regular" pants). The L of the Witches Britches are perfect for me.

SadieKate
02-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Thanks! I, too, found the Assos are a bit small so bought one size larger than the other brands.

Susan Otcenas
02-06-2006, 04:47 PM
OK, I'm blatantly asking for some feedback for market research. :)

So, when I was in New Zealand last year, I stopped by the offices of Ground Effect. The people we were staying with are riding buddies of the Ground Effect guys, so it was a natural fit to go talk cycling and cycling clothing.

Ground Effect does not currently have a US distributor (or didn't as of last year, anyway) so at the moment the only way to get their product is to order it directly from them.

What I'd like to know from those of you who've tried their apparel is this: is it good enough, and distinctive enough, that it would be worth my time to talk with one or two of the distributors that WE buy from about setting up relations with the Ground Effect guys. That is, do you think the pieces are nice enough that they would sell well?

Of course, all of this assumes these guys even WANT to sell in the US. I have no idea about that - haven't asked them. But I would if I thought it would be worth their time and mine.

Ladies?

Susan

crazycanuck
02-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Hey susan,

I swear by ground effect and if it's good enough for us Kiwis and ozzies, it's good for anyone...! I like the gear because it's sold by word of mouth, doesn't have huge logos all over & the company is just cool. THey may not have a huge selection but it doesn't matter..it's ground effect. Everyone i biked with in nz wore ground effect & my coach thinks they're cool.

I'm sitting here thinking about your question of selling it on TE. I think it would ruin the feeling of Ground effect in a way. As i said it's by word of mouth & I don't want everyone to wear it just because. I guess i'm being territorial, boitchy.

I'm sitting here at work so i might have a diff view after i get home.

Thanks
C

kiwi girl
02-07-2006, 11:20 AM
I guess I'm kind of with CrazyCanuk on this one. There is a vibe about Ground Effect and the buying direct from them is part of the vibe. They don't have any other distributors even here in NZ - it is solely by mail order (drives me crazy when I have ordered something I really want because my office is only two blcoks from theirs and although it always arrives the next day I sometimes wish I could just go and get it). I wouldn't want to deny a great kiwi company an expansion opportunity - but this is from the ground effect website on their views on mail orderhttp://www.groundeffect.co.nz/about-us.htm

yellow
02-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Since my first century is about 2 wks away, I figured I'd better get on the ball and get my century knickers ordered.

I called TE today and they tried hard to help me get the Sugoi (http://www.sugoi.ca/consumer/product.aspx?id=2064&srtx=38900F)ones ("Convertible Knicker") since I know and love the Ricaro 2 chamois but it appeared that Sugoi was out, thus they were not available. :(

Not ready to give up, I did end up finding a pair in my size on "closeout" elsewhere. So I bit the bullet and ordered. Sounds like with the shipping they are about the same price as the witches britches. I ultimately decided to go with Sugoi since I know that the chamois is a good one for me.

Who knows if Sugoi will make them again for Fall 06??

Susan Otcenas
02-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi yellow,

I have the Fall 2006 catalog in my hot little hands. :) The Convertible Knicker with the Ricaro2 chamois IS in the Fall '06 catalog. You aren't the first person to ask for it, so I think we will be adding it to our selection in the Fall (we haven't carried it before).

Hope this helps!

Susan

yellow
02-08-2006, 03:40 PM
The Convertible Knicker with the Ricaro2 chamois IS in the Fall '06 catalog. You aren't the first person to ask for it, so I think we will be adding it to our selection in the Fall (we haven't carried it before).
Thank you, Susan. I converted from PI to Sugoi and was so disappointed that those durn knickers are so hard to come by.

yellow
02-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I called TE today and they tried hard to help me get the Sugoi (http://www.sugoi.ca/consumer/product.aspx?id=2064&srtx=38900F)ones ("Convertible Knicker") since I know and love the Ricaro 2 chamois but it appeared that Sugoi was out, thus they were not available. :(

Not ready to give up, I did end up finding a pair in my size on "closeout" elsewhere. So I bit the bullet and ordered. Sounds like with the shipping they are about the same price as the witches britches. I ultimately decided to go with Sugoi since I know that the chamois is a good one for me.
Wouldn't cha know it...the place with them on "closeout" just informed me that they are also out...:mad: :mad: :mad: so I'm off to order my WBs. Hope they get here by 2/25!

I'll get a pair of the Sugoi ones in the fall too (assuming I have a job by then)!