PDA

View Full Version : T-Spine mobility

Catrin
12-06-2012, 02:35 AM
Working on thoracic spine mobility has GOT to be it's own sport. I've never put my body in so many odd positions as I work to break free my VERY tight t-spine! Thankfully I am working with someone very qualified and experienced - and the list of things I do before a workout has got to LOOK painful (perhaps more so than reality)!

I am actually excited about all of this "fun" t-spine work and having fun with it even though it isn't "fun". We finally figured out that this is what limits my shoulders and some other things, and also is the likely culprit with a few other problems. This isn't a new discovery, it just wasn't responding to easier methods. I am very thankful to have access to experts in this area and all of this work should really enhance my riding next year - especially gravel riding.

Catrin
01-15-2013, 09:01 AM
I think this is improving :) This morning my trainer had me do something I've never even considered. He had me lie on a weight bench and reach up to hold the edges of the bench above/behind my head. Draw/swing my knees up to meet my elbows (never thought I could DO that), then slowly relax back down - but under control. The first set of 10 were a little...painful. There are some muscles along my t-spine that can get cranky - but the second set of 10 felt AWESOME! None of this was done quickly, but under control the entire time.

It felt great and I THINK that my t-spine was actually rolling down a rib at a time. I think that is the only way I could have come down that controlled and slowly - and it certainly loosened those stiff muscles.