PDA

View Full Version : Any skiers/boarders here?

Irulan
12-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Once the snow flies, I ski 2x a week at least if I can work it in. I alpine and tele, mostly. The bike is out, but on the trainer. Our ski season hasn't started yet, so I'm still mountain biking.

Crankin
12-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Nordic, only. Snow shoeing, too.
We had so little snow last year, I am beyond crazy waiting for some snow! We have a trip to Vt.planned for the middle of February.

Trek-chick
12-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Skier here...Nordic and Alpine. Didn't get to go last year--not enough snow and I live near the Ice Coast as they say (Midwest-but close enough) so conditions when we had snow, were terrible.

DH bought me a set of twin tips 2 years ago but, I love XC skiing as well. We hope to XC ski in Yellowstone NP one day. We have been there backcountry hiking/camping a few times, and fell in love--Yellowstone just gets in your blood. Would love to see it in winter. how cool would it be to be XC skiing among the Bison :)

roadie gal
12-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Telemark and XC, both classic and skate. Over the past few years I've done more XC and less downhill. It's just so expensive these days that I have a hard time justifying it.

We're waiting for snow here, too. I'm scared it's going to be another winter like last year. Eeek!

Irulan
12-08-2012, 07:34 AM
It's funny but I rarely think about the cost. DH is a volunteer National Ski Patrol at our local hill, so we've been getting family passes for free for years now. Five more years and we get lifetime passes. It's also just a really important way for us to have fun. If we had to buy all out tickets though, that would change how we budget. I live in an region where there are still quite a few resorts with $35 or so tickets though. If Mammoth or Vail were the only option with no volunteer options, yikes, not sure how we'd manage. I get a lot of gear through deals: I picked up a brand new pair of Tele boots for $149 at the swap this year...you can't beat that.

lph
12-10-2012, 01:11 AM
XC, 2-3 times a week once we have good conditions. If I didn't I'd probably have my citizenship revoked :-P Ski mountaineering in the spring, alpine every now and then to keep my son company on the slopes.

I tried telemark but I suck at it. Problem is I'm surrounded by people who are truly terrific telemarkers and could tele on slush carrying huge backpacks, backwards. But I usually get down the mountainside ok anyway. And fall less :-)