PDA

View Full Version : Spring in Maine

traveller_62
01-28-2006, 05:20 PM
I can't get over the weather in Maine this year. In December it looked like it would be a typical New England winter. But this weekend...for the second weekend in a row..I've been able to abandon my spin bike and get out on the open road.

It was in the 40's here today. In a typical winter it would be in the single digits or even colder with ice and snow everywhere. I know that there is still plenty of time for winter still but this spring interlude has been terrific.

Hope all you other Northeast TE riders have been able to play outside as well!

DeniseGoldberg
01-28-2006, 05:34 PM
It was in the 40s here too when I wandered out on my bike this morning. I think it hit the 50s this afternoon.

We haven't had a mild January like this in a long time. Just out of curiosity this week, I looked back through my exercise logs to see if my memory was playing tricks on me. And no, it wasn't. The last January that I rode a decent amount was in 2002! The three years between now & then I was lucky to get one or two rides in. No complaints here though - I'm hoping this pattern continues (although I'm not really expecting that).

--- Denise

DebW
01-29-2006, 09:17 AM
I just got back from a 22 mile ride at 48 degrees. Definitely an unusual winter. Gotta go put a new chain and freewheel on my bike before I pound up too many more hills. (I've been saying that for the last 3 rides and the parts are in my basement waiting.) Enjoy the weathe everyone.

BikeMomma
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Makes me want to fly out there again, Traveller! :p Although, since your post, I see it's cooled off. Sunny here in Cali today...

Take care NE gals...not too much winter left!
-BikeMomma

mainerider
02-10-2006, 09:18 AM
With the thermometer hovering around 20 degrees this morning and with winds coming out of the NW at 10-20 mph it was really really really hard to get motivated to get dressed and get out on my bike. But since there is no snow to x-country ski or snowshoe, I hate working out indoors, I got dressed and rode.

I'm glad I went. I was dressed ok, the winds were tough though when I was riding into them (don't ask what my average speed was).

Surlygirl
02-10-2006, 11:38 AM
You are one brave woman. I hate the cold. We are looking at 8-14" of snow starting tomorrow night. Maybe some of that will drift north. We are suppose to go skiing Feb vacation at Sunday River but we hear the snow cover is thin. I'm ready for spring.

SpinSis
02-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Way to go Mainerider! That's true maine-iac behavior! I rode last Saturday when we had yet another spring weekend in February. And of course, just when I was getting use to the idea that I could squeeze in more rides with the extended daylight...we get slammed with SNOW! Good for skiing, yes, and I guess good for bike cleaning and tinkering, though I have no clue what I'm tinkering with--I guess I could finally look into getting new tires to replace the gashed back tire that is just waiting to split for real!

Happy skiiing or bike repairing in the basement with coffee (or riding for those among us who I suspect will just pull out the MTBs for the snow?)

-Stacy

mainerider
02-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Have plans to ride with friends tomorrow, one more road bike ride before the snow, then possibly back to the mountain/cross bikes if we get a decent storm Sunday and the snow hangs around.

mainerider
02-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Ok you can call me "crazymainerider" because I rode this morning. 2 friends called to cancel at 8 am because it was only 5. I called my other friend and he was still willing to ride. I don't know what the temp was when we left but my gatorade was slushy halfway through the ride and frozen by the time we finished. BUT it was a nice ride. Very little wind.

Hopefully with the cold temps they are making lots of snow for your vacation Surlygirl. Plus they are forecasting 5-8 inches of the real stuff. It's hard to believe right now because the sky is beautiful blue.

Surlygirl
02-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Ok you can call me "crazymainerider" because I rode this morning. 2 friends called to cancel at 8 am because it was only 5. I called my other friend and he was still willing to ride. I don't know what the temp was when we left but my gatorade was slushy halfway through the ride and frozen by the time we finished. BUT it was a nice ride. Very little wind.

Hopefully with the cold temps they are making lots of snow for your vacation Surlygirl. Plus they are forecasting 5-8 inches of the real stuff. It's hard to believe right now because the sky is beautiful blue.

Glad you had a great ride and I still say you have moxy woman.
I'm in that little belt that is suppose to get 10-15 inches tonight. :mad:
Just came back from a nice hike in the woods with DH and my son. Now where did I put that snow shovel. :rolleyes: