PDA

View Full Version : PR at the gym

Catrin
11-01-2012, 05:28 AM
This may seem a small accomplishment, but I am very pleased with a PR this morning. I had my Thursday morning trainer session which focuses on the upper body, and afterwards I headed to the leg press machine to do some lower body work. While I didn't start at this weight, of course, my final set was 430 pounds for 6 reps - which is 3.33 times my body weight. I still had more in me, but decided that was enough work for one day - especially since I did my "official" 1-rep max for 6 times. My legs didn't even feel stressed after that - much to my surprise, and my knee was quite happy. This was using the plate machine, so I manually loaded 410 pounds of plates. Who knows what the sled weighs, I don't factor that in.

Dogmama
11-02-2012, 05:10 AM
WOW! What an animal you are! Congratulations!

OakLeaf
11-02-2012, 05:17 AM
Dang. Rrrrrrrowr!

Catrin
11-02-2012, 05:34 AM
My group trainer uses a computer program to calculate the 1 rep max at each assessment, but I keep surpassing it (much to my surprise). I think I would like to determine my current 1-rep max for leg presses the old fashioned way. I think squats are better for me in the long run as it is more of a whole-body exercise than a stationary leg press, and my t-spine is finally getting loose enough that we are starting to do a bit of that. That being said, leg presses are useful and it is pretty cool that I can do this :) It does make me feel better when I can't push press an unweighted 45-lb bar bell :o though I CAN now push press an unweighted 35 lb BB :)

I just noted a typo in my original post that I can't change - the official weight for that last set was 430, not 410.

Crankin
11-08-2012, 02:58 AM
Good work, Catrin.
I had a PR this morning. It's a little icy, so I didn't want to drive to the gym at 5:15 AM. Instead, I warmed up on my treadmill and then did the 3 functional fitness segments from my Cyclo-Core DVD, with 2 intervals of walking/running in between.
I've had this program since 2006 and I could never do a couple of these exercises. And, I often used 2-5 lb weights. This morning, I did all of the exercises, with 8 lb. weights. I can really see how my fitness classes have helped me.

Catrin
11-08-2012, 03:48 PM
That is great Crankin! It is so encouraging to see improvement, for sure :)