PDA

View Full Version : LRRH Lodging in Logan

yellow
01-26-2006, 03:13 PM
OK ladies, I've been in touch with a few of you so you know that I've been working on this a little bit.

We didn't meet the minimum number of rooms for the discount at Crystal Inn in Logan. So I think now those of you coming to UT for the ride can decide if you all want to stay together in one h/motel or just make reservations wherever. In any event, I didn't find us any sort of group thing at any other h/motel, so us girls are on our own.

Lifesgreat and her buddy are staying at the Super 8. Prolly the cheapest of the chains, rated one diamond by AAA. Their rates for 2 beds appear to range from $55 for 2 doubles to $60 for 2 queen beds. The reservation # is 800-800-8000. Website: http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/home?pop=no

The Best Western chain has two properties in town, the Weston Inn (a "hotel") and the Baugh Motel. Both are rated 3 diamonds by AAA. The Weston posts an "internet special" of $60.99 for 2 queens. I'm sure they would honor this if you called and asked for it also. (As an aside, I found that places that I called quoted prices the same as or lower than published on the 'net, which is why I suspect the "internet specials" really aren't just for those booking online.) And caligurl!...the Weston apparently allows pets! Reservations for either one can be made at 1-888-829-0022. Websites are here:Weston Inn (http://www.bestwesternutah.com/hotels/logan/westoninn/) and Baugh Motel (http://www.bestwesternutah.com/hotels/logan/baughmotel/)

Finally, the Crystal Inn offers 2 queens for $79. It's a hotel (not motel), rated 3 diamonds by AAA. Reservation number is 1-800-280-0707 and website is http://www.crystalinns.com/logan.html.

I will NOT be staying in Logan on Fri night with y'all (I don't think SadieKate will either since she's doing double duty while in UT). Re: Sat night, it sounds like some gals want to stay in Logan and others may want to come to Salt Lake for the big whoop-de-do nightlife (=3.2% beer, but at least it's tasty). I'd recommend something close-ish to downtown or the airport. Good, reasonably priced downtown choices include the Best Western Garden Inn, the Crystal Inn downtown, and the Radisson downtown.

Sorry I couldn't score us a great deal. :( So.....I think it's up to y'all now to decide where you want to stay and if you all want to be together. I think that next year the club will prolly reserve a block of rooms.

jobob
01-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for looking into this, yellow!

Trekhawk
01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks for all your help its appreciated.:)

yellow
01-27-2006, 08:22 AM
The gal from the Crystal Inn in Logan just called me back and said that even though we didn't meet the minimum, she'd still honor the $72/rate as long as you book by March 15.

I am going to let the ride director know so she can spread the word as well. If you book at the Crystal Inn, just tell them you are with the Bonneville Bike Touring Club ride.

As far as customer service goes, the folks at Crystal Inn have been the most open to working with me. And I'm a big believer in good customer service.

SadieKate
01-27-2006, 08:24 AM
This is so nice of you! Thanks, yellow.

And, you are correct. I will have double-duty in SLC so I will be staying at Hotel MIL.

Trekhawk
01-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Thanks yellow for the info re Crystal Inn. I will give them a call today.:)

Who else is staying in Logan?

bikerHen
01-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Since I'm coming down from the north, I plan on staying in Logan. I'll call first of the week to make my reservation. Took a quick look at the Cyrstal Inn site and it looks like a nice place. I took special note of the hot breakfast bar for pre ride, and the hot tub for post ride! :D Bikerhen

Trekhawk
01-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Since I'm coming down from the north, I plan on staying in Logan. I'll call first of the week to make my reservation. Took a quick look at the Cyrstal Inn site and it looks like a nice place. I took special note of the hot breakfast bar for pre ride, and the hot tub for post ride! :D Bikerhen

Hey Bikerhen are you going to stay there for the night after the ride as well?

bikerHen
01-28-2006, 07:25 PM
I'll be looking for the nearest bed and/or hot tub after that 100 mile ride! :eek: :D I was planning to make reservations for Friday and Saturday night. BikerHen

Trekhawk
01-29-2006, 08:08 AM
I'll be looking for the nearest bed and/or hot tub after that 100 mile ride! :eek: :D I was planning to make reservations for Friday and Saturday night. BikerHen

Sounds like a great plan. Make room in that hot tub for me --- umm if my legs will still move me that far.:D

aka_kim
01-29-2006, 08:52 AM
I was thinking of heading back to SLC on Saturday night to sample the brewpubs in town, then fly out on Sunday.

Trekhawk
01-29-2006, 03:35 PM
I thought about going to SLC for the night after the ride too but a few reasons make it seem better for me to stay in Logan. My husband and kids are coming with me and because Im pretty slow I imagine I will be out on the course for pretty much most of the day. To keep the kids entertained my husband thought of taking them down to SLC for the day. He will then come back up to get me after the ride. Im thinking that will be enough driving for the kids considering we need to drive back to Cal the next day.

This way I get to keep bikerhen company to if she hasnt already had enough of me out on the course.:D

Trekhawk
01-29-2006, 06:20 PM
With a little planning, there might be a way to get you back to SLC. We'd need to get a real head count and figure out how many bikes can be hauled via our trailer, Yellow's car, etc. Hmmm. I have got to get Bubba working on the trailer capacity.

Nah mate by the time I have finished you could all be relaxing back in SLC. I think its easier for all if I just stay in Logan but thanks for thinking of me.:)

Besides Bikerhen needs me to help her get to that hot tub.:D :D (Im actually thinking it will probably be her helping me).

SadieKate
01-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Would you two quit sandbagging it? Don't sell yourselves short.

Trekhawk
01-29-2006, 06:55 PM

Not selling myself short just being realistic. Thanks again though.:)

DirtDiva
01-30-2006, 02:37 AM
It's the antipodean way. :p

bikerHen
01-30-2006, 09:28 AM

I'm with Trekhawk, just being realistic. :D BikerHen

SadieKate
01-30-2006, 09:39 AM
It's the antipodean way. :pYeah, but what's bikerhen's excuse?

bikerHen
01-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Trust me on this one . . . old + fat = SLOW! :p bikerHen

Tater
03-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey, Bikerhen and Trekhawk, you two better make room in the hot tub for me! :p I just reserved my room at the Logan Crystal Inn for Friday and Saturday nights.

CyclaSutra
03-12-2006, 03:25 PM
I booked rooms at the Crystal Inn a couple weeks ago, and didn't realize I was supposed to ask for the Bonneville club... the lady on the phone couldn't find any "group" so I just booked it anyway... I'm prolly paying a few bucks more, but no biggie. I'll be there Fri and Sat, and I'm bringing at least one other chickadee from Jackson Hole.

Hot tub, here we come! Those plastic cups in the rooms are good for a tub-side beverage ...

Can we order up a side of those tasty guys in grass skirts? LOL. What happens on the road, stays on the road... :D

Can't wait to meet y'all!

tprevost
03-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey Ladies,

I'm booked a bit south (wanted to be on the south 'side' since I have to drive the 12 hour drive home the next day!) at the Crystal Inn Brigham City. Can I come and crash your hot tub after the ride???? Hmmm... its only 30 minutes difference, maybe I should switch hotels....

I'm hoping there will be a pre-ride dinner on Friday?!?!?!? I added myself to the list on bikejournal.com for that ride - did everyone else do that so we know who all is coming???? I'm still working on Caligurl!

Trac'

tprevost
03-12-2006, 03:51 PM
CycleSutra,

I just booked a room in Logan and the lady there (who couldn't find the Bonneville bike club anywhere) said I could call a lady named Linda tomorrow to get the rate adjusted. The initial rate was $89 so dropping it down to $72 would pay for some gas! 1-800-280-0707 is the number if you want to try it!

Tracy :cool:

jobob
03-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Thanks Tracy !

I tried calling the Crystal Inn just now but no one answered the phone. Perhaps it's just as well, I'll hold off calling again until tomorrow and make sure to speak to Linda. Thanks for the tip !

It's going to be so fun to meet all of you :D

- Jo "did someone say hot tub???" bob

tprevost
03-12-2006, 04:07 PM
jobob,

there was supposedly only one room of each kind left so be sure to call early! I kept my reservation in Brigham City too just in case something went wrong between now and then!

Trac'

Trekhawk
03-12-2006, 06:16 PM
WOW thats great. Sounds like that hot tub better be big.
My husband and sons are coming with me so perhaps they can be our waiters while we rest our weary legs after the ride.:D

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Leslie

tprevost
03-13-2006, 07:47 AM
If anyone has reservations and did not get the group rate, I'd suggest calling asap to get it changed! I was able to get mine changed (from $89 to $72) and I think jobob did too (they said they'd just talked to someone else on the same matter!). For some reason they had the rate for the 1st only??? that's why they couldn't find the group name.

Anyway, it appears that a phone call will get you the group rate if you don't have it already. The lady is named Linda.

Looking forward to meeting everyone too!

Tracy :D

oops... that would be for the crystal inn - logan

yellow
03-13-2006, 12:26 PM
When I originally made the deal with Linda, the agreement was 10 rooms and she would only hold them until mid-March. So I suspect that we blew through the 10 rooms (my original "yes I need a room" count was only 5 I think!) before the mid-March deadline...which would explain why none of the other folks at Crystal Inn know about it.

If you are making your reservations now and/or calling again to have your rate adjusted, make sure you thank them profusely. We want to be able to come back next year!!

We'll also be having a Sat nite hot tub party at Casa Yellow after beer and fish & chips, I suspect!

y

jobob
03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
I call the Crystal Inn Logan last night and booked my room (king bed) at the regular rate, and I spoke to Linda this morning, and she very graciously changed the rate from the $89 I was quoted last night to the $72 group rate.

Profuse thanks were offered, indeed ! :)

And while I'm at it, thank you yellow for setting this all up, and thank you tprevost for the progress reports !

- Jo

Veronica
03-13-2006, 04:03 PM
I am really looking forward to meeting so many different TE gals. This will be fun. I do wonder how we will recognize each though.

V.

SadieKate
03-13-2006, 04:32 PM
How about window decals for our cars?

http://avery.com/us/Main?action=product.HierarchyList&node=10210908&catalogcode=WEB01

SadieKate
03-13-2006, 04:34 PM
And don't forget tattoos!!!

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=7396

Veronica
03-13-2006, 04:38 PM
The tattoo is a cool idea. I'm thinking hard about the Castelli knickers for our trip in April, so I'll order some if I get the knickers.

V.

SadieKate
03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Another way to label your car - printable magnet sheets

http://avery.com/us/Main?action=product.Details&catalogcode=WEB01&node=10210841&productcode=3270

SadieKate
03-13-2006, 04:40 PM
The tattoo is a cool idea. I'm thinking hard about the Castelli knickers for our trip in April, so I'll order some if I get the knickers.

V.We could probably get WrenchBoy to open up his tattoo parlor again.;) :p

tprevost
03-13-2006, 05:43 PM
You're probably all gonna read this and say "DUHHHHHH" but, I figured we could all meet friday night somewhere for dinner and such... there has to be someplace that will hold all of us. If Yellow isn't up to it, I'll volunteer to figure something out!

When I went over to BikeJournal I was SO happy that pretty much everyone on the list is part of TE (and it could be that I just don't recognize the others). How cool is that! It would be so great to get to know who's who and maybe figure out a support plan (like who's gonna tow me to the finish ;) )! BTW, I do have a decal on my car that's a female road biker - I'm pretty easy to spot! 8-)

Trac'

ps. I was VERY thankful to the lady who helped me at the Crystal Inn as well... not really very difficult as she was extremely nice!

CyclaSutra
03-13-2006, 06:09 PM
So I called up our friend Jason at Crystal Inn (he helped me reduce my rate today, so sweet) and he said the Firehouse Pizzeria is just a block and a half away and it's big enough for a group of 20, but he DID suggest alerting them to our presence. Here's the web listing I found:

FIREHOUSE PIZZA
880 South Main, Logan
(435) 787-4222
Mon.-Sat. 11 a.m.-10 p.m. $4-14
Cedar-smoked sandwiches, pastas, and pizza

And I called and dude who answered said it's plenty big enough for us, and they DO serve beer and wine (never a given in Utah).

That looks good for pre-ride noshing, eh?

tprevost
03-13-2006, 06:27 PM
That sounds perfect CyclaSutra! You're da bomb!!!

Trac'

Veronica
03-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm staying in SLC Friday night. It looks like Logan is 90 minutes away. So dinner is probably out. I'll be wearing either my Amici Veloci jersey or my Devil Mountain Double jersey - assuming I earn it. :D Wave and say hi if you see either one.

V.

jobob
03-13-2006, 06:59 PM
Gee, I've been known to eat pizza from time to time :rolleyes:
(Shaddup SK!)

jobob
03-13-2006, 07:09 PM
We could probably get WrenchBoy to open up his tattoo parlor again.;) :p Gawd, the last time I visited WrenchBoy's Tatoo Parlour it took me days to get that tatoo off. Days, I tell you! :eek:

CyclaSutra
03-13-2006, 07:37 PM
I vote for temp tattoos on the day of the ride (calf, bicep, whatevah ya feel) and name tags at dinner the night before. (I'll bring, if need be)

I'll be wearing whatever fits me at the time... perhaps the LRRH jersey (which I think I ordered but I don't remember what size or style... it all depended on my self-esteem at the time of the registration and it was a few weeks ago and I really can't recall if I was feeling optimistic or not.) I know this belongs on the "Body image" thread, but my weight swings up 10-15 pounds every winter because of the cold and snow and alcohol I use to deal with the sunless time of year.

OK, stopping now and moving over to the "Body Image" thread.... :o

Trekhawk
03-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Pizza sounds good.
I guess all I have to do is open my mouth and people will have a pretty good idea who I am. I dont think too many Aussies will be doing LRRH. I also have a big Australia sticker on the back of my car.:)

SadieKate
03-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Gawd, the last time I visited WrenchBoy's Tatoo Parlour it took me days to get that tatoo off. Days, I tell you! :eek::rolleyes: I'll be sure he brings Baby Oil.

Veronica
03-14-2006, 04:10 AM
I got the TE tattoos - along with the Castelli knickers. I'll post my impressions of the knickers.

V.

Lifesgreat
03-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Pizza? Did somebody say pizza? I will be there! :rolleyes: I am not staying at the Crystal Inn, but I want to come and meet all of you!

As far as IDing, I was thinking we could write something on our numbers like "TE Lifesgreat", in my case. That way, memory challenged souls like me can ID you on the course.

Oh, as far as cars are concerned, my Honda CRV has a "Tri Mom Swim Bike Run" rear license plate frame.

tprevost
03-14-2006, 08:06 AM
I vote for Pizza, tattoos, and adding our TE names to our number.... hmmm, what else? I'm just so excited to meet everyone! I'll probably try to find a picture of me and post that too, just to make it easier! If Caligurl ends up going, she's easy to spot; she looks JUST like her avatar! :D

Lifesgreat - do you live close enough to drive that day or are you just staying in a different hotel? ... just bein' nosy!

Trac'

SadieKate
03-14-2006, 08:18 AM
No way am I going to remember individual details about cars. Bib numbers get covered up or the bib isn't even worn. I generally just fold mine up in a pocket because I hate the things, not to mention the holes in my jerseys.

A tattoo on everyone would be nice as well as something on your car that said TE.

Lifesgreat
03-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Lifesgreat - do you live close enough to drive that day or are you just staying in a different hotel? ... just bein' nosy!

Trac'

I live in Utah County, about 2 1/2 hours south of Logan. Me, AuntieK and some others from our spinning class are staying at the Super 8. I have to head home Saturday afternoon, so I will only be staying Friday night.

Regarding IDing, like you, I vote for all of it! I need all the help I can get. . . ;)

tprevost
03-14-2006, 08:45 AM
Lifesgreat - Cool, you'll be right there too! Tell AuntieK (in case she doesn't read this) to add herself to the bikejournal list... that way we don't miss anyone! Its lookin' like its gonna be a 'regular TE reunion' - lots of people! YIPPEEE!!!

SadieKate, I'm not going to remember individual cars either but I don't want to put anything on the body of my car (scratches). Maybe I can find a TE window decal; that's probably a good thing to have around here too as I hope to run into other TE members at the SoCal rides as well! Sorry, thinking while typing :rolleyes:

Okay, do I get TE or T.E.? Yes, I'm a goober! :o

Tracy

SadieKate
03-14-2006, 08:48 AM
That's why I liked these decals. Not very expensive and can be made on the home printer. Make one for your friends.

http://avery.com/us/Main?action=product.HierarchyList&node=10210908&catalogcode=WEB01

Susan and Jeff -- car window decals to go with the tattoos? Another way to spread the gospel?:p

tprevost
03-14-2006, 08:52 AM
those are great but my printer doesn't print that stuff very well (has a hard time with anything but basic paper) How large are you thinking of going SadieKate?

T~

Tater
03-14-2006, 10:35 AM
Pizza and tatoos?! I'm there! I'll see about printing out a decal for the 4Runner as well.

SadieKate
03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Jeff, aka Mr. Admin, just said told me to check back with him in mid-April to see if they'll be able to have car stickers in time for this ride.

If all else fails, we can just print out something on paper and tape it to the inside of the car window. Ghetto but effective.

aka_kim
03-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Call me dumb (uh, not to my face), but why do we need to ID our cars? :confused:

SadieKate
03-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Just as a way to find each other since we'll be in a hodge-podge of jerseys, on different routes and leaving/returning at different times. Just increases the odd of actually finding one another.

tprevost
03-14-2006, 12:31 PM
so we can find each other (since a lot of us haven't met before)! I think many of us will meet Friday at dinner but it would be nice to be able to identify someone we might not have met as a TE member :D

T~

Lifesgreat
03-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Call me dumb (uh, not to my face), but why do we need to ID our cars? :confused:

So we know which cars to cover with shaving cream and Oreos:p . Also, if the cars are ID'd and the driver does something stupid, we won't "express our displeasure" with one of our soon to be friends.:eek:

aka_kim
03-14-2006, 01:31 PM
So we know which cars to cover with shaving cream and Oreos:p . Now this I understand.:)

cindysue
03-15-2006, 09:36 AM
looks like we're driving and staying in Sandy, Utah with Andrew's friend - about 90 miles from the ride start. Will be an early morning for me. Hope there is Starbucks in Sandy. Anyone know anything about that town? He moved there for work....

Andrew and his friend will be MTB'ing while the girls are riding. Any suggestions near the Wellsville area for MTB?

Lifesgreat
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Sandy is a bedroom community with most of its commercial activity along State Street and the interstate. This is probably the best Starbucks to go to as 10600 South has a freeway onramp. In Utah, streets are numbered from a central point. For example, if your address is 200 East 300 South, you are located 2 blocks east and 3 blocks south of "ground zero". The following Starbucks is located .77 blocks West and 106 blocks south of "ground zero", on State Street.

Sandy-106th & State
77 West 10600 South
Sandy, Utah 84070
801-523-9267

This store has T-Mobile HotSpot wireless broadband
Internet service.
This store has a drive through window.
Please call this store directly for store hours.

Also, I would plan on at least 2 hours to drive to Wellsville from Sandy. You will have interstate most of the way, but the last part from Brigham City to Wellsville is non-interstate, canyon driving. It is a BEAUTIFUL canyon, though. Disclaimer: I am basing this on my vague recollection of how long it took me to get there last year. I live about 30 minutes south of Sandy and I THINK :confused: it took me about 2.5 hours to get to Logan/Wellsville. Others may want to verify the time.

Logan MTB info:
http://www.trails.com/activity.asp?areaid=11096
www.mtbr.com
http://www.go-utah.com/Logan/Biking/

yellow
03-15-2006, 12:33 PM
Lifesgreat, you are a much better Utah hostess than I! You're recruited for the Utah base team. I now work for you! :p

cindysue, you may want to call Starbuck's and check their hours (seriously). Business hours seem to be funny (as in strange) around these parts. When CyclaSutra came to visit, she didn't get coffee on her drive home until she was in IDAHO! 'Course, that was a Sunday and Sunday's business hours are particularly confusing to me.

You may be better off making a thermos-o-jo and taking it with you. Andrew can hook up an IV.

Re: the mountain biking, consult our local mt biking bible, Utah Mountain Biking (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/index.htm)! There is another one here (http://www.singletracktreks.com/), but it's not as complete.

Lifesgreat
03-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Oh Yellow! I forgot you live in the Sandy area. I am sorry. You know that area much better than I do. I used to work in Sandy many years ago BC (before children).

cindysue
03-15-2006, 09:09 PM
thanks! I really appreciate the info.

Until June............

yellow
03-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Oh Yellow! I forgot you live in the Sandy area. I am sorry. You know that area much better than I do. I used to work in Sandy many years ago BC (before children).
I'm more than happy to have you on board helping me! I suspect you are one of those natural born leaders ;) (I read your profile)!

I actually live on the north end of The Place, up near the U. I think sulis is the one that lives in Sandy.

We gotta find out where mmelindas lives so we can recruit her. Us Utahns (and honorary members from WY and ID) are TAKING OVER! :cool:

fixedgeargirl
03-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Pizza sounds good.
I guess all I have to do is open my mouth and people will have a pretty good idea who I am. I dont think too many Aussies will be doing LRRH. I also have a big Australia sticker on the back of my car.:)

Eh, isn't that "pizz-er" to an Aussie :p ;) ?

I've got a good Aussie friend in Colorado and I love her accent. I've been pretty amused to hear her introduce our mutual friend Gesa and pronounce it "Geezer" :p .

Sounds like a great trip! Hope you all have a great time!

Now back to your regularly scheduled content...

Trekhawk
03-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Eh, isn't that "pizz-er" to an Aussie :p ;) ?

I've got a good Aussie friend in Colorado and I love her accent. I've been pretty amused to hear her introduce our mutual friend Gesa and pronounce it "Geezer" :p .

Sounds like a great trip! Hope you all have a great time!

Now back to your regularly scheduled content...

LOL - Im going to miss the way people say my name here - back home its said as you guessed with the S sounding like a Z.

Have a good one.
Leslie