PDA

View Full Version : Arm blade roast - cooking ideas

Catrin
09-15-2012, 01:25 PM
I've a grass-fed arm roast that is much too long to fit in my crock pot - so it will have to go in the oven. I've a glass dish it will fit in and aluminum foil will seal it nicely. I've not much experience with cooking red meat - many of the recipes I've seen appear to assume that this type of roast requires marinating for a couple of days :eek: Is that really necessary? I know that it needs slower cooking, pity it won't fit in my crock pot. Right now I can't do anything with it until it thaws - the meat I get from my grass-fed farmer are frozen HARD - it takes longer to thaw then frozen meat from the store for some reason.

Owlie
09-15-2012, 04:13 PM
I've a grass-fed arm roast that is much too long to fit in my crock pot - so it will have to go in the oven. I've a glass dish it will fit in and aluminum foil will seal it nicely. I've not much experience with cooking red meat - many of the recipes I've seen appear to assume that this type of roast requires marinating for a couple of days :eek: Is that really necessary? I know that it needs slower cooking, pity it won't fit in my crock pot. Right now I can't do anything with it until it thaws - the meat I get from my grass-fed farmer are frozen HARD - it takes longer to thaw then frozen meat from the store for some reason.

You might have to marinate it. Those sorts of meats can be tough even with slow roasting. Is it bone-in? If not, you might be able to cut it to fit in the crockpot.

OakLeaf
09-15-2012, 04:38 PM
I haven't thawed anything that big and solid, but most meats will thaw quickly in a big pan of cool water.

You may have to braise it on a weekend when you can be home to watch the oven. I have no idea about an arm roast of beef, but my mom has a recipe for Chinese pork shoulder where you braise it on the stovetop in liquid for like three hours, and it comes out super tender.

Catrin
09-16-2012, 01:45 AM
It does have a bone, which is why I got it as I wanted the bone for the marrow and bone broth. I will be home by earlyish afternoon and can braise it in the oven. Thanks for the idea Oakleaf, that helps. Regardless of marination all of the sites I've looked at say if it is cooked slow enough it will be tender.

Catrin
09-16-2012, 10:50 AM
It is in the oven now, I did cut it in half so it would fit into the skillet for browning. It is good that I looked past the first recipe I found for braising, I was really surprised to find out that it is best to start at a very low temperature for the first two hours! It makes sense though, considering what we are seeking to gelatinize the connective tissue. I've already found out that "low" on my crockpot isn't very low...so the oven method is best. I experimented with seasonings and veggies, so even if it isn't ready in time for dinner tonight it should be very nice for tomorrow's dinner. Hmmmm, thinking about sauteeing extra onions and mushrooms to go along with it :)