PDA

View Full Version : Close to buying a Bianchi Eros Donna...any experiences to share?

salsabike
01-18-2006, 04:58 PM
Hi there. I have been road bike shopping for the last month, have narrowed it down to Bianchi Eros Donna, Specialized Dolce, and Rodriguez Stellar. Am pretty close to buying the Eros Donna but haven't yet. Who here has ridden one for a good length of time, and how much did you like/not like it? Are there other WSD bikes you liked better? I know I need to go with WSD because a bike fit by a PT says I need a 50.5-51.5 top tube, no longer. Thanks for any info you have to offer.

Pedal Wench
01-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Sorry, no experience with the Eros, but I have two other Bianchis and I'm hooked - I bleed Celeste! I love the bikes, the history and tradition, and they ride like a dream! Neither of mine are WSD, but I can get the fit I need without it.

Dirt Girl
01-18-2006, 07:59 PM
I bought an Eros Donna last spring and have been very happy with it for 600 miles. I'm primarily a mountain biker, but the Bianchi has been a solid road bike for me and most importantly it fits well. For me, the steel frame felt better than anything else in a similar price range. I LOVE the Campy shifters as they fit my hands like no other I've tried. I tried a Dolce and hands down, the Eros Donna was the better choice for me. It whispered to me, "This is the one." Has she spoken to you?

Now, the saddle is a whole separate issue. I did not like the stock saddle and tried 7 others. I'm still not sure I'm happy. The rest of the bike is a good buy for a step above entry-level bike.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

salsabike
01-20-2006, 07:24 AM
Thanks, y'all! I test rode both--thought the Eros Donna was a lovely smooth riding machine, thought the Dolce "would work"---so you can tell I'm really lusting in my heart for the Bianchi. They had to order another one, since the one I test rode got sold a few days later. I'm waiting for it to come in, will have a local PT/cyclist do a fit, and then decide. Steel, Campy (which I also much prefer), bleached Celeste...I did also really like the Rodriguez (local custom bike builder here in Seattle), but it would cost significantly more for about the same bike.

By the way, I have already found some saddles I can live with, including Serfas RX Womens. Dirt Girl, what have you tried so far, and what's your most manageable one to date?

SadieKate
01-20-2006, 09:29 AM
I did also really like the Rodriguez (local custom bike builder here in Seattle)Drool! We almost bought a Rodriguez tandem eons ago, but bought one from a builder in Oregon. PNW bike builders sure know how to do it.:)

Dirt Girl
01-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Dirt Girl, what have you tried so far, and what's your most manageable one to date?

Wow, I didn't keep track of the names, but the Terry Damselfly was definitely not the one. A WTB saddle was close, but the stitching and the slight rise of the nose both bothered me. Tried a Selle Italia for women and knew right away that wasn't it. Loved the women's fizik but I maxed out the positioning on the rail (even with a straight seatpost) and could not get my knees in the right position (I'm telling y'all I have REALLY short arms!), and I have somewhat settled on a Terry Butterfly though I haven't done anything more than 40 miles on it at a time and at that it starts to bother me a bit. Love my Bontrager FS 2000 on the mountain bike though sadly they aren't making it anymore. It doesn't seem to work for extended sit time on the road bike though.

Hope the Eros Donna works out for you. The 2006 color sure is pretty!

salsabike
02-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Got the Eros Donna last weekend, have taken two 27-mile rides on it, and it is a totally sweet bike---smooth ride! Thanks to all who gave advice. I love this bike! See pic below:

http://deenaheg.home.comcast.net/erosdonna06.jpg

SadieKate, who'd you get your tandem from in Oregon? Right now we ride a '91 Burley we got used for $350. Did the Seattle to Portland on it last year and will do again this year, but then may be looking for a new tandem...

Pedal Wench
02-12-2006, 06:41 PM
VERY pretty!!!!!!!! I love the fade to black on the fork. What a beauty! Good luck with it! Let us know when you've got a name for it.

Dirt Girl
02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Got the Eros Donna last weekend, have taken two 27-mile rides on it, and it is a totally sweet bike---smooth ride!
Yippy! Sweet color, too. Why do they always have a really nice color the year AFTER I buy a bike? What kind of saddle are you using and do you like it?

Happy riding!

salsabike
02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
There are two saddles I've come to reasonable terms with (although am always looking for the next better one): one is the Serfas Womens RX, which I took with me to the LBS and put on the Bianchi when I test-rode it the second time. That's the one still on there. The other saddle both my husband (not a big guy, but hates the standard road bike saddles) and I like is the Velo. We couldn't figure out which of the many versions we have---we got a half dozen of them free from a local electric bike dealer. They are fairly well-padded but quite firm, not-huge saddles. Just as a point of comparision, the Velos are about 1 1/2 inches wider than the Terry Butterfly, and about a half-inch shorter. See link to them below. They took us from Seattle to Portland last year with reasonable comfort (as much as you can get going 206 miles in 2 days, anyway).

http://www.totalbike.com/products/search/Saddles/velo%20plush/and/

SadieKate
02-13-2006, 01:28 PM
SadieKate, who'd you get your tandem from in Oregon? Right now we ride a '91 Burley we got used for $350. Did the Seattle to Portland on it last year and will do again this year, but then may be looking for a new tandem...We have a Lippy, but Keith no longer builds. Seems to find teaching more rewarding.:confused: :D

You might search around and see if you can find one used. It's interesting how many people we meet who will gives us the details on some Lippy they saw years and years ago. One of the ride volunteers of the Tandem Rally this weekend told us the details of one he saw 20 yrs ago. Keith would handcut brass logos, internally route cables, cut custom lugs and do stunning fillet brazing. Works of art.

I saw some Steve Rex tandems this weekend (local Sacramento builder) that were gorgeous. I've liked the looks of the bikes he's built.

leighton
07-07-2009, 11:22 PM
absolutely love it for steep mountain climbs or an average day out in the hills; haven't had any real issues or even a flat... kind of unbelievable considering the miles and terrain I have encountered along the way, etc -- has a stable ride downhill at 1000 elevation drop in a three mile section which I usually warm up with. I am a female/trail runner (5'3 106lbs) whom had the local guys tweak my frame as much as possible to fit me. currently living in the highgrade/pleasant park area of colorado, which is an incredible ride in itself near deer creek canyon. definitely recommend for my body type. btw; most would suggest a carbon frame etc, yet for peace of mind I am rather attached to a solid frame and I get plenty of speed.

had it 2 years and haven't had to replace anything yet - all stock. 2 tune ups - lovely blue color that isn't obnoxious.

Selkie
07-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Salsa

I've had an Eros Donna for a few years (think I got it in '06) and it's a great bike. The steel ride is very smooth and the Campy components are durable, reliable, etc.

Yours looks exactly like mine---same paint color, same fork, etc.

ENJOY!

MartianDestiny
07-08-2009, 05:32 AM
I know I need to go with WSD because a bike fit by a PT says I need a 50.5-51.5 top tube, no longer.

That top tube length does not lock you into WSD. I'm also a 51.5cm max and rode at least 7 bikes when I was test riding...1 was WSD. I by no means exhausted my options (non-WSD and WSD alike).

A WSD bike may or may not be the best fit for you, but it's not necessarily a requirement just because of the top tube length you mention.

Biciclista
07-08-2009, 05:41 AM
SHe bought the bike and loves it. This thread is 3 years old!

Eden
07-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Salsa

I've had an Eros Donna for a few years (think I got it in '06)........

ENJOY!

Note the OP date, you'll find Salsa did too ;)

aeiea
08-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I was doing a random search on google to find any reviews of the Eros Donna Bianchi and was glad to have found this site! I read elsewhere that the Eros Donna Bianchi is good for shorter women so I'm definitely excited.

Does anyone know where in LA I could get one? Or are bikes like these only ones you order online?

This will be my first road bike; just have a basic mountain bike given to me by a friend right now which is bigger and heavier than I'd like. I used to commute to my old job (4 miles each way), but my new job is significantly further (20 miles) -- but might consider trying a part-bus / part-bike commute.

Also, if any of you have recommendations for another bike to try out besides this one, I'd be happy to hear.

I'm new to the forum (and to road bike research) so apologies if this is the wrong place!

salsabike
08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
You'd have to find a used one---Bianchi hasn't made this bike for a few years.