PDA

View Full Version : CWX tights

yellow
01-18-2006, 02:55 PM
OK, I'm putting this in "other sports" cuz it is most definitely not a cycling thing and not limited to running...and I didn't want to put it in "apparel" since it's not cycling...

The eternal skeptic, I never believed these CWX tights were worth hooey. But last year there was a pair cheap, in a really ugly color, at Ross (or Marshall's or something like that...closeouts/last years/ugly colors) and I can always use more tights for skiing and keeping my butt warm in winter, so I bought them.

Today was the 2nd day that I've used them skiing. I held off reporting after the first day as I wanted to make sure I wasn't just having a "superwoman" day. I do believe that they actually work in that they seemed to provide greeat support to my quads. Normally I only make it about 3 hours of nonstop skiing (except lift rides), less on a "tough snow" day, and today I ended up quitting not because my quads were about to collapse into a pile of jiggly used up muscle tissue but because it was snowing so hard that I couldn't see and was having issues figuring out where I was (and how far away the ground was :p ). (For the uninitiated, telemark skiing is like doing lunges all the way down the hill, so it always results in major quad burn[out]).When I went in (for my almond butter samich!!) I saw that I'd skied over 4 hours and my quads weren't talking to me like they usually do... which is similar to the last experience I had with the tights. I did wear my "normal" tights a few days inbetween, so I'm pretty sure it's not just me.

So I think I'm kind of a believer now. I'm going to try them a few more times before I drop my skepticism completely. Too bad they are so ugly, otherwise I'd try them nordic skiing as well.

Similar experiences or is it all in my head?

Pedal Wench
01-18-2006, 06:25 PM
I love their bra - like you, thought the tights were a bunch of hooey.

On a completely different note, what's the difference between the good ole downhill skiing I did as a teen and telemark? I know the diff between downhill and cross-country, but then folks start talking telemark, Nordic and Alpine?

yellow
01-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Well, I don't have enough to test the CWX bra, so I'll have to go with the tights! :p

Leseeee....skiing has so many names now. Nordic skiing is usually applied to a number of different "styles" including what has traditionally been called "cross country" skiing (aka "classic") and to skate skiing (aka "free"). Some folks lump "touring" (going out into the woods on XC skis as opposed to going to a groomed XC resort) and "telemark" with nordic. I'd lump telemark in with nordic, but others lump it in with more traditional alpine (downhill) skiing. And then there are AT -- "alpine touring" (aka "randonee")--skis that you can release the heel on for climbing up hills (in the backcountry) and lock them down for the downhill ride.

How to describe telemark...bigger, beefier skis than traditional XC skis (which are known in my world as "skinny skis") and with a beefier binding at a different contact point, and with a free heel (see the pic on my avatar). The skis now look a lot like downhill skis, but they are generally a little lighter. The telemark turn is totally different (looks like lunges or genuflecting) BUT you can still parallel turn on telemark skis (good for when you get really tired)! They do it all. I can't imagine trying to ski with my heel fixed. I'm sure I'd break my leg. Oh! And you can telemark anywhere...at the resort or in the backcountry.

All that being said, I wanna do this (http://www.skijornow.com/images/gallery/wclarge16.html)with my pooch. She needs to mature a little bit more, though! I think she'd kill me at her current energy level. (The skier is skate skiing, something I also love to do.)