PDA

View Full Version : Solvang Century

yellow
01-16-2006, 05:31 PM
The REGULAR (http://www.bikescor.com/solvang/welcome.htm), not the DOUBLE!

Who is going? I think I may go for a visit to the folks (they live in Arroyo Grande) and do the century. Undecided...it means prolly at least of week out of my ski season. Wah! But then folks need to be visited.

It's March 11 this year. They also have a half-ie!

Anyone???

Veronica
01-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Come do the double instead! It's only 7500 feet of climb. :D

V.

SadieKate
01-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Gosh, dang it! I can't get Bubba motivated to deal with the hunting plans. But if you came out I'd prolly have to go do it without or without a driver.

Does registration fill up fast? How crazy is it with the horde of cyclists?

yellow
01-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Uhhhhhh, but it's 200 miles (or close to it). My butt will definitely not be up for that.

My other friend that is doing the double (HotRod... you know him! :cool: ) said the same thing. As if all this cross training would actually work for cycling. :rolleyes: Not!

(I say that with confidence as I went for a swim today, first since September, and felt like I was going to DIE. I'm serously considering couch potato-hood.)

SadieKate
01-16-2006, 05:46 PM
HotRod? You mean Thom will have competition for Veronica's calf-oggling?

yellow
01-16-2006, 05:47 PM
Gosh, dang it! I can't get Bubba motivated to deal with the hunting plans. But if you came out I'd prolly have to go do it without or without a driver.

Does registration fill up fast? How crazy is it with the horde of cyclists?
Yes, it fills. It's a huge ride...5000 riders I think. But it's pretty spread out. I had a blast last year. The food at the rest stops was top notch and it's a pretty easy ride...I think 3000' climbing max or something.

I could come to Davis, pick you up, make you suffer through a visit with my folks, and then redeposit you at home. Visits to the beach and fine dining inbetween, of course.

Hmmm....I see a plan forming.

Veronica
01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
My other friend that is doing the double (HotRod... you know him! :cool: ) ...

OOOOOOOOO..... HotRod. I probably won't see him, since he'll be with the faster folks. Sadness. ;)

V.

yellow
01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
HotRod? You mean Thom will have competition for Veronica's calf-oggling?
I think Thom's been riding more and would prolly win anyhoo! ;)

And besides, instead of "skirt chasing" it's "calf chasing". I predict that it will affect V's time positively!

Veronica
01-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Yep, Thom's got a pretty fine set of calves. Trouble is, as "coach" he tends to ride behind me. :mad:

V.

Bike Goddess
01-18-2006, 12:03 PM
I did this ride last year. It's one of my favorites. If I weren't doing the Death Valley ride the weekend before, I'd be there for sure!!!!!!

Yes, get your application in soon.

Re the course- a few rollers and one quick climb towards the end. Not anything tough even if you haven't been training a lot this year.

Great support and fun pacelines!:) :) :) :) :)

Trek420
01-18-2006, 04:06 PM
V "Yep, Thom's got a pretty fine set of calves. Trouble is, as "coach" he tends to ride behind me. :mad:"

tell him you'll be faster if he rides ahead as "bait" :p ;)

slinkedog
01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Speaking of calves, and sorry to go OT, here, but when CindySue and I were riding last year, we got passed by a guy with epic calves. We didn't exchange any pleasantries because he was passing us like we were standing still (Cindy was being nice and going my pace), but I wonder if it's considered offensive to compliment someone on their calves. I was tempted to tell him they were really nice, but by the time the thought had fully congealed in my brain, he was out of earshot.

cindysue
01-18-2006, 10:07 PM
we got passed by a guy with epic calves. .....I wonder if it's considered offensive to compliment someone on their calves.

ah yes, I do remember him, ;)

I will often compliment nice calves - man or woman. I am SO envious of nice calves, because mine are just bloated masses with no definition at all. I envy all you runners / super cyclists / genetically blessed folks out there!

carimail
01-19-2006, 08:30 AM
I never realized how nice my husband looked from behind until I rode with him! Now he always has to ride in front - it helps me get up the hills to have a nice set of calves and butt to chase. You know, the whole "think happy thoughts" method of climbing.
Sorry, I had to reply - it's a new revelation.
Cari;)

bikerchick68
01-20-2006, 08:51 AM
I did this last year too! It's a really well organized ride... mile 70-80 is a false flat FYI.... I remember wondering what the heck was wrong with me... couldn't get any speed going in that stretch... LOL:rolleyes: :D

Mile 85 is "The Wall"... sounds scarier than it is... only about a mile at maybe 11%...

this ride also follows some of the roads used in the movie "Sideways" if you've seen it! :)

Not sure if I'm doing this one... prolly riding a fundraiser one for a friend who qualified for RAAM this year (Homey from bicycling.com... helluva nice guy! :) and great rider)

SadieKate
01-20-2006, 08:59 AM
(Homey from bicycling.com... helluva nice guy! :) and great rider)He's over on BJ also. Funny thing is he used to live in Davis back when I finally gave up on the local club for a number of reasons. He swears he wasn't part of the problem.:D

Going over to the site to shell out my bucks now. The weather better be good that day.

Bike Goddess
01-20-2006, 11:09 AM
BikerChik- Homey is a great guy! Met him on the 508. He was a DNF- due to upset stomach from drinking too much sports drink at the beginning of the ride.

He's going with the 2 guys I crewed for- RoboRider and ZMan plus one other guy. You'll find them on the BJ site under Team Cyclonauts.

SK- Can't imagine Homey would be one of "those" kinda riders! He's just too sweet! :) :) :) :)

SadieKate
01-20-2006, 11:42 AM
SK- Can't imagine Homey would be one of "those" kinda riders! He's just too sweet! :) :) :) :)Yeah, that's what he says, too.:p