PDA

View Full Version : Food Experiments

Veronica
01-15-2006, 07:35 PM
One of the things I'm doing on my weekend rides is checking out various food options, so I can have a variety of things to eat on my doubles.

This is what I have discovered so far. Gingersnap and Cashew Cookie Larabars are my favorites. Cliff Shot Bloks Cran- Raspberry flavor are good, but the texture feels weird after a while.

These last two weeks I've been giving various flavors of Hammer Gel a try. I don't really like the apple cinnamon flavor. Raspberry is good, but kind of sweet. Today I had the espresso. I liked that. I also tried a chocolate flavored Honey Stinger. The first word out of my mouth was, "Ughh!" Thom expected me to just throw the rest of it away. It wasn't what I had expected. Since it was chocolate flavored, I expected more chocolate. But it had a predominant honey flavor. Actually, once I knew what to expect I kind of liked it.

I'm getting use to the flavor of Sustained Energy. And I have found that after 3 - 4 hours on the bike, I really want some straight water, rather than Gatorade.

Veronica

traveller_62
01-17-2006, 06:40 PM
What do you eat before and after a long or intense ride?

I usually eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich (on wheat or flat bread) an hour or two before I head out.

I tried the Hammergel stuff this summer for fueling during my longer rides because a good friend of mine loves the stuff. I like GU better for the quick energy. Accelerade works for me for sustained energy.

After a ride I'll have cereal (Kashi Crunch !) or a nice tall glass of low fat chocolate milk.

Veronica
01-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Mostly I'm trying out different things so I don't get tired of anything on my hardest double. I expect it will take me 18 hours to complete it. Here's the elevation profile.

http://www.caltriplecrown.com/images/DMProfile.jpg

I've ridden this as far as the Junction. I expect the worst climb will be Sierra, as it comes so late in the ride.

Veronica

Pedal Wench
01-17-2006, 08:23 PM
ouch!!! That looks amazingly tough! That climb at 120 miles into it looks just brutal to me. Please, we want a complete ride report, and more importantly, I want to know how you train for something like this. Good luck! I'm VERY impressed!

Veronica
01-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, I did the first 116 miles two years ago with no training, just for fun. So this year with a more aggressive approach, I will finish it.

I already have a good aerobic base, so right now I'm working on increasing my strength and long distance endurance.

It's been hard to get in the outdoor rides, so I'm on very good terms with my trainer and Spinervals.

Here's my week as it's supposed to go. :p

Tues./Thurs. DVD in the morning, another in the afternoon or a focused training ride, usually hill intervals.

Wed. Recovery ride/tape

Mon./Fri. off days, can ride easy if I feel like it.

Sat. moderately hard ride 90 - 120 minutes

Sun. long, steady distance ride

MWF - ab/back work

Life has a way of interfering with this plan. But I already can tell that I am stronger than the last time I rode it.

V.

yellow
01-18-2006, 02:42 PM
V, you're an animal!

Of course, I have to put a plug in for almond butter (just a lil' bit) on a tortilla (flour or whole wheat...corn is yucky), rolled up, cut into whatever sized pieces you want. But you know that I'm a big believer in the magical powers of almond butter. :p The trick for you would be how to keep it "together". Are you using a bento box to stash your goodies while you are riding?

SadieKate
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Are you using a bento box to stash your goodies while you are riding?Are you saying that with a straight face?
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Fluffy.jpg

Veronica
01-18-2006, 02:56 PM
I can only imagine what this picture. The work server doesn't allow them to come through. I may need to defned Fluffy's honor when I get home. :D

V.

Trekhawk
01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey V - how often do you eat on a ride of that distance?

yellow
01-18-2006, 03:04 PM
See, there's a Bento Box there! And it's sooooo much easier to reach than the pack on back.

And I thought Fluffy lost a little weight for this endeavor. Am I misremembering (is that a word?) or has Fluffy indeed trimmed down?

SadieKate
01-18-2006, 03:17 PM
V, it is the picture of you holding up Fluffy in Calistoga. Full set of fenders and steamer trunk on board (and the tiara)

I think you mentioned that there had been a diet since then.

maillotpois
01-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Great thread! I just joined this forum, having learned of it from BikeJournal. Hope it's okay if I throw in my 2 cents...

It's a challenge to find food that works for a double, but most of the rides I have been on have been so well supported with a variety of things so you can experiment and find out what works for you. I particularly like when they have the hammer gel you can fill your flask with.

Some things that have worked for me are:

v8 - I had 9 v8s during the Death Ride last year and frankly was too tired to keep track at the Mt. Tam Double. For my other doubles, I probably had at least 5. LOVE v8!! I Know some folks who will fill one of their bottles with the stuff.

HammerGel - I have decided I like banana best. Not too sweet. But I prefer the real thing... next...

Dried bananas - my secret weapon. Not "banana chips" but actual chewy dried bananas. You can get them in bulk food section at Whole Foods. I also have a friend who dries them herself with a bit of honey in them. It's a little over the top, but the end product is amazing.

Noah's bagels - For Davis (my first double), we got salt bagels and I carried one with me on the ride. There is also a stick-like bagel thing they have that is wheaty and fruity and nutty. It took me about 2 hours to eat the thing, 1 bite at a time from my back pocket. That was great.

Wheat thins - yum! Very good if your stomach is getting at all iffy.

Nuts.

I pretty much only drink the Power Bar Endurance sports drink. And water. I will throw in a coke or mountain dew, but not til very late in the ride.

I have found that a bento box is only good for me on rides where there's not a lot of out of the saddle climbing. If I am out of the saddle a lot, the bento hits my legs so then I climb all wonky and my knee hurts. I may just have big legs. Well, I know I do!

I have a friend who is a raw food vegan who trained for and rode the death ride with me. I was amazed that he could literally fuel himself only on figs and dates for a ride like that. I say that to make the point that everyone's different, and what works for some may not work for all!

Sarah

SadieKate
01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Figs and dates! Yeah, I can believe this. They're a staple in our household. Fig Nutins are pretty good also.

Cheese and peanut butter cracker sandwiches.

SadieKate
01-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Maillotpois, glad to have you over here also. Introduce yourself on the aptly-named "Introduce Yourself" thread so CorsairMac can chime in and provide an official welcome.

Veronica
01-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I figured it was that picture. :D Fluffy now has no rack and no big bag. That has migrated to Milo my MB1, which is now my commute bike. There is not much else I'll be able to take off Fluffy. Tires will change and the fenders will come off before Solvang, but for now I'm leaving them on.

I don't like to eat while I ride. One of the things I like about having my HRM on my handlebars is I am more aware of passing time. I am now making myself eat on the half hour and hour on my rides. I'm taking a drink of Sustained Energy on the quarters.

I like the bagel idea. Kim, tell Jesse we need Noah's bagels on DMD. :p

I am a little freaked. Due to scheduling conflicts, I'm actually going to do the official DMD ride. I was sort of counting on seeing Thom at every stop. But, doing the real thing has lots of pluses. I can get an earlier start, which means I should be off Hamilton before it's dark. There will be more riders around - at least passing me anyway. :p Jesse thinks I should be able to finish an hour faster, due to shorter rest breaks and being able to work with the other riders. I actually hope it's a warmish day, since I do better when it's warm.

V.

SadieKate
01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Jesse thinks I should be able to finish an hour faster, due to shorter rest breaks and being able to work with the other riders. I actually hope it's a warmish day, since I do better when it's warm.

V.I suspect the same thing. I think you'll find a lot of energy and momentum can be gained from the group. I know it isn't a large group but still there always seems to be a boost of energy on such days. And you'll have the Solvang under your belt by then.

aka_kim
01-18-2006, 07:52 PM
And I always thought you should do the real ride ;) - alot more energy and people to ride with. Plus, Thom will still be there, and me too. I'm not sure about the Noah's bagels... hmmm they'd need to be fresh, could we pick them up before 5am on ride day?

aka - locked myself out of car, stuck at work, starving - kim

Veronica
01-18-2006, 07:56 PM
I feel better already. :D

Are you still stuck at work?

V.

maillotpois
01-27-2006, 02:00 PM
I just re-discovered dates stuffed with walnuts. Yum!! These are great bite-sized ride food. The walnuts give them a bit of protein and fat so there's a little more staying power than just the dates.

I can't wait to use these on the self-supported century I am doing Sunday!!!

CorsairMac
01-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I just re-discovered dates stuffed with walnuts. Yum!! These are great bite-sized ride food. The walnuts give them a bit of protein and fat so there's a little more staying power than just the dates.

I can't wait to use these on the self-supported century I am doing Sunday!!!

HMMMMMM????!!!!! dates stuffed with walnuts??? where pray tell did you find them??.......or do you make them??? I'm so excited about this new taste treat I had to keep correcting my spelling!!!!

ooo and good luck on your self-supported century! I wanna hear all about it!! (from someone who also does self-supported centuries!)

maillotpois
01-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Well, I remember when I was a kid, my grandmother used to make them. And then one day before a ride I went into Andronico's (a super fancy market I usually don't go to), and they had them already made. So I bought some and they were fantastic.

This week, I went and bought some dates and walnuts (separately), and made a big batch last night. It's very easy - just use a sharp knife to slit the date open, take the seed out and put a walnut half or whatever you can fit in there.

Surlygirl
01-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Hey Veronica, just took a look at your elevation profile and I just have one thing to say. "Holy Crap Woman!!!!" That is some serious hillage.
Good luck from a humble East Coaster

Veronica
01-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks! It's been a good training week. Next week I have a lot going on, so I really tried to keep on track this week.

I wish I could be paid to ride. :p

V.

traveller_62
01-28-2006, 06:38 PM
Veronica,

When I saw your DMD ride elevation my first thought was, "I wish we had climbs like that on the East coast!" We have some very hilly terrain here but nothing like what you are going to tackle.

Best of luck with the training. I'm looking forward to reading your ride report. I might have to add the DMD to my list of dream rides (which includes riding the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park, Montana).

Veronica
01-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks!

I'm from southern Maine - York County, originally. My family is all still there for the most part. We were home last summer and I got in some riding. My family thought I'd get run off the road, but I found the drivers to be very respectful.

I like Maine's pavement - it may be bumpy from the frost, but it's smooth!

V.

traveller_62
01-29-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks!

I'm from southern Maine - York County, originally.

If you get back this way for a visit and want to drive north a bit to do some cycling on Mount Desert Island, give me a shout. There is excellent road and trail riding up this way. After doing the DMD the terrain here will seem flat to you!

DeniseGoldberg
01-29-2006, 06:19 AM
I might have to add the DMD to my list of dream rides (which includes riding the Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier National Park, Montana).

Going to the Sun Highway is one of my all-time favorite rides. I've done it twice - once on a supported tour, and once on my first solo tour. Awesome! In fact, I'd love to go back and ride it again someday.

Mostly I'm trying out different things so I don't get tired of anything on my hardest double. I expect it will take me 18 hours to complete it. Here's the elevation profile.

I've ridden this as far as the Junction. I expect the worst climb will be Sierra, as it comes so late in the ride.
Veronica

And Veronica -
I'm totally in awe of the climbs on your planned ride!

Veronica
01-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Today's pre ride fueling - fat laden chcocolate chip scones! Hmmm... scones.

I've moved up to doing my advanced abs tape - ouch!

V.

Nanci
01-29-2006, 07:02 AM
Large bowl of chicken chow mein with rice and noodles- yum!!! I rode 80 miles, and only took in an additional one pack of Jelly Belly Sport Beans, one bottle of Gatorade, and one Hershey's Strawberry Milkshake.

When I got home, I was entitled to a nice dinner, perhaps some General Tso's Chicken that I would never normally be in enough calorie deficit to eat, but after a hot bath, it was all over, no way was I going to drive somewhere...frozen Stouffer's Chicken Alfredo for me. That was good, too.

I don't see how people can start a ride on a bagel and a bananna, or whatever. I need real food!!

Nanci

Wondering if I have the motivation for dates/walnuts for my 300k Saturday...

traveller_62
01-30-2006, 06:52 AM
Going to the Sun Highway is one of my all-time favorite rides. I've done it twice - once on a supported tour, and once on my first solo tour. Awesome! In fact, I'd love to go back and ride it again someday.

Denise,

What time of year did you ride the Going to the Sun Highway? I was thinking that late August would be a good time (probably not this year, but maybe next).

I was in Glacier for the first time two years ago at the end of May and did a lot of hiking in the snow. We were lucky to be there when they opened the Highway up for the first time of the season. The snow banks at Logan Pass were amazing. They were something like 15-20 feet deep!

DeniseGoldberg
01-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Denise,

What time of year did you ride the Going to the Sun Highway? I was thinking that late August would be a good time (probably not this year, but maybe next).

I was in Glacier for the first time two years ago at the end of May and did a lot of hiking in the snow. We were lucky to be there when they opened the Highway up for the first time of the season. The snow banks at Logan Pass were amazing. They were something like 15-20 feet deep!

I rode it in 1998 in late July. That was my first solo tour - if you're interested, my journal with pics is at http://denise1998rockies.crazyguyonabike.com July was a good time - although the year that I was there it was unseasonably hot - but I think August would be fine too.

I'd love to be there when they first open the highway - that would be awesome. I understand that they will allow bikes on the road on sections that have already been cleared while they are clearing the upper sections. What a fantastic place.

--- Denise

Veronica
01-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Paydays will be in my stash on the doubles for sure!

V.

SadieKate
01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
And on the whole food subject - I re-discovered another great ride food yeaterday: Paydays!! Salty, sweet - very good.

SarahAre you hearing the Twilight Zone theme again? PayDays are a stock item in our household (ask Jo, Veronica, Kim, et al). Bubba always carries extra. We buy the snack size ones by the multiple bag-fulls. Only place I can find them is Rite-Aid.

maillotpois
01-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Are you hearing the Twilight Zone theme again? PayDays are a stock item in our household (ask Jo, Veronica, Kim, et al). Bubba always carries extra. We buy the snack size ones by the multiple bag-fulls. Only place I can find them is Rite-Aid.

Definitely hearing the Twilight Zone. I had thought of them before, and then when I was sitting on the stool at the bar at the Junction, there they were! It was a perfect end of ride food. And the dates/walnuts were great, too.

I find I don't eat a lot on rides. I drink a lot of sports drink, though. For 105 miles yesterday, I had 4 bottles, most of 2 cans of pepsi, a v8, 8 walnut/dates, a small chunk of fig bread, 1 bag of clif blocks, the payday and a cup of chicken corn chowder at quiznos. It was really a perfect amount of food as I was never bonky, but I am sure I burned more than I ate and I'll tell you I had a big dinner. :)

Nanci
01-30-2006, 12:37 PM
I just bought a pack of Necco Wafers and a box of Good and Plentys for my 300k. I like having any candy thing in my bento box to munch on. Jelly Belly Sport Beans are my current favorite, but I like Sharkies a lot, too.

I bought the dates, still need the walnuts. Still need some sushi. Have a choc milk and vanilla creme milkshake milk. And Endurance Gatorade. I _hate_ Gatorade for running, but like it for biking.

I _almost_ bought Corn Nuts.

Nanci

kiwi girl
01-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm getting hungry just reading this thread (trying to work out what the optimal eating/drinking strategy is this afternoon for the 3 1/2 hours between now and tonights 5 k fun run) ..
Anyway can someone enlighten us 'foreigners' as to what paydays are

snapdragen
01-30-2006, 07:17 PM
Anyway can someone enlighten us 'foreigners' as to what paydays are

Real wholesome crunchy roasted peanuts and sweet chewy caramel create the deliciously satisfying taste of PAYDAY peanut caramel bar. Salty-sweet, chewy-crunchy...PAYDAY'S truly unique combination of ingredients is the great tasting way to keep you going.

Yes - I stole it from the Payday website.....

bikerz
01-30-2006, 07:23 PM
I think Payday has finally caught on that they are considered the "poor man's power bar" (as a friend of mine calls them) because the other day in Longs I saw that they have "Power Protein Payday" - or something like that - extra protein, and - whaddya know - same price as a Power bar or Cliff bar...

But the regular old Payday is still well under a buck!

CyclaSutra
02-17-2006, 02:24 PM
One of the things I'm doing on my weekend rides is checking out various food options ...
These last two weeks I've been giving various flavors of Hammer Gel a try. I don't really like the apple cinnamon flavor. Raspberry is good, but kind of sweet. Today I had the espresso. I liked that. Veronica

Veronica,

This is my first post, but had to tell you, I love Hammer Gel. Just buy it in a bottle instead of a foil packet and then cut the sweet stuff by mixing raspberry or apple cinnamon with half "plain" or "vanilla" flavor. Takes the sweet down to a manageable level.

I trained for a double century last summer. Alas, foiled by weather, but I'm still pretty proud of my 100+ mile training rides, and Hammer Gel was just the ticket when I was too lazy to pack food or late in the ride when my guts couldn't handle solid stuff any more.

Granny on!