PDA

View Full Version : Triathlon bike recommendations?

Lise
01-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Hello TE triathletes :D !

This April I'm going to get a "real" tri bike at the Bike Expo in Chicago. I want to do 2-3 sprints, and 2 Oly distance tri's this season. My goal is a 1/2 IM (or as they call it these days, "70.3") next year. I want a light, sturdy bike that won't cost me too much. I am not competitive. I just want to go faster with less effort than it takes on my city bike. I've ridden my Marin Larkspur city bike in 6 tri's now, and ride it all over town (though not in the winter, yet). When I rode it on a 100K ride at the end of summer, I was in good shape, but I was smoked by older, heavier women on lighter bikes. I am aware that they may well have been older, heavier, better trained and harder working women, but....I like to think the bike may have had something to do with it! :p

So--what do you ride? What do you like/not like? It's time to start the serious research, and like any good scientist :rolleyes: I start by asking my friends!

L.

drlaura
02-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Last summer was my first triathlon season, and after doing some research, I purchased a Quintana Roo Trueno and LOVED it! It's a hybrid between a true triathlon bike and a road bike (ie., middle of the road seat angles to save your legs for running versus more comfort for longer rides), very light, and had good quality components for the price. Most entry-level tri bikes are $1200, and this was priced at $900.

You need to try lots of bikes in your price range, however, and choose one that fits you best. You'll know it when you ride it. Good luck!

Laura:)

Lise
02-08-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi, Laura,

Thanks for your input. I finally got back in the pool yesterday. After my last tri in August, I just focused on run-training for the marathon, and hadn't hauled out the swim suit since. I've read the latest Triathlete mag, and I'm jazzed to start researching my bike!

Welcome to the TE boards, too. If you haven't already done so, you might want to go to the "open forum" area and post about yourself in "Getting To Know You".

Take care,

Lise

Running Mommy
02-08-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm also leaning towards a "QR". I also like the looks of the Cervelo, but I think for the $$ the QR will be a better buy. That being said, I'm just waiting for the tax $$ to roll in then I'm making an appt w/ trisports down in Tucson for a proper bike fit. I want them to fit the bike to me. I'll let you know how it goes.
You have mission bay multisports out there right? I always see some good deals in their ads.
Also check out trisportscom, insideoutsports.com and all3sports.com to get a better idea of what is out there and price points. Nytro.com is another source but I think they tend to be pretty high end. My budget is 2k, so hopefully I can find something in my teeny weeny size! I'm prolly a 47!

Nanci
02-09-2006, 06:03 AM
I see a lot of Felts out there, too.

Nanci

Eden
02-09-2006, 10:23 AM
My budget is 2k, so hopefully I can find something in my teeny weeny size! I'm prolly a 47!

For small size tri/tt bikes check out K2 - they have the only very little tt bike I've ever seen - it comes in an XS! and I think it is even in your price range - the only caveat is that I've heard K2 is getting out of the bike business so there may be support issues in the future.

http://www.k2bikes.com/products/bikedetails.asp?ID=97&year=2006

Running Mommy
02-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Well trisports does carry K2's so I'll check them out for sure. Though I think they only sell framesets so it may mean a build. I'm such a brat! I HATE waiting for things! I'm a typical american- I want it, and I want it NOW! :D