PDA

View Full Version : Planks...planks...more planks :)

Catrin
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM
What is your favorite form of plank? I am collecting them since I like them so much :) I will start.

In my new group training class yesterday morning we did a partner plank exercise that I've not seen/done before.

One partner is in the plank position on their forearms, the other person is on their hands and knees focusing on keeping a tight core. The person in the plank position reaches out with one arm and takes the opposite hand of their partner and does a single arm row - all of the time focusing on maintaining a good plank position and to keep the hips even. No twisting the body or allowing a hip to drop!

Giulianna23
07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Catrin...That sounds painful ..

I don't like planks.... Although I do them sometimes .. I prefer Knee lift ;)

indysteel
07-19-2012, 10:27 AM
Getting into a forearm plank position with your legs a bit wider than you might otherwise place them. Now lift one arm straight in front of you and lift the opposite leg off the ground a couple of inches inches, while keeping the rest of your body level.

chatnoire
07-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Indy, I've done those. They make me cry! lol.

The first sounds awful and awesome at the same time. The boyfriend and I were planning on doing core work on alternating mornings before he went to work....then I had to go get hurt and that screwed those plans. Poo. That would have been a fun one to integrate into our workouts.

Catrin
07-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Chatnoire, it is a fun exercise, hard, but fun. You can add it when you are feeling better :)

Indysteel, that sounds quite challenging and I look forward to trying it. I've done a version of that on the exercise ball, but not from an unsupported plank position.

Catrin
08-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Renegade Rows with a very long stretchy rubber resistance band thingie wrapped around each thumb and going around the lower back at/above the waist. Keep pressure on the rubber thingie at all times, feet very wide in the plank position. I WAS able to take a couple of rows on each side but it was far from easy. I looked for a video but can't seem to find one but will look more later.

Catrin
08-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Two new plank exercises - TRX Saw (video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8QwySflzLQ)), and TRX Pendulum (video here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UD4k8zr568)) Please note I do NOT do the latter near as quickly as these young ladies do ;)

Catrin
08-10-2012, 04:25 AM
I don't usually have much patience with whatever exercises are given. Always want to make them move. I rotate from side plank, to facing up, to the other side, to facing down, other side, then reverse. Usually starting with 3 or 4 hands/feet in contact with the mat, then later on with just 2....

I know this one - though am used to doing it on the Bosu ball rather than the mat - either way will get the job done! We've also done some creative work in the plank position with one hand on a "Valslide" (little slider used to move furniture) while focusing on keeping the hips straight.

Veronica
09-10-2012, 06:11 AM
You need two Bosu balls for the planks I did today - my last exercise of the day, so I was already fried!

First Bosu ball is flat side down, elbows on the squishy part. Second Bosu is flat side up, one foot in the middle of it, on your toes, other foot in the air. Hold as long as you can - I was doing a minute. Then switch feet and do it again. Repeat. :D

Veronica

Catrin
09-10-2012, 06:47 AM
You need two Bosu balls for the planks I did today - my last exercise of the day, so I was already fried!

First Bosu ball is flat side down, elbows on the squishy part. Second Bosu is flat side up, one foot in the middle of it, on your toes, other foot in the air. Hold as long as you can - I was doing a minute. Then switch feet and do it again. Repeat. :D

Veronica

Ooooh, I LIKE this, I will try it this week, thanks!

Sky King
09-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Veronica, sounds brutal.

We did buddy side planks the other day, facing partner, holding resistance band in top hand with enough space between you and partner for a good pull. Take turns pulling the resistance band back, keeping elbow at 90 degrees, five pulls per partner and then switch, maintaining a strong side plank - of course.

Catrin
09-10-2012, 08:47 AM
We did a "simple" plank series the other day. It takes 4 minutes and the goal is to go from one movement to the next without breaking the plank:

Standard plank (on elbows): 1 minute
Hold right knee to right elbow for 30 seconds & then the other side (1 minute total)
Extend right arm and left leg, hold for 30 seconds & then the other side (1 minute total)
Cock the right leg out to the side with the knee bent and hold for 30 seconds & the other side (1 minute total)

Dogmama
09-28-2012, 04:19 AM
Elbows on swiss ball. Rotate ball slowly in one direction for a few reps then switch directions. I call it "stirring the pot"

Assume plank position at low pulley machine. Use one arm to do rows. This is a variation on some of the other planks already suggested.

Ankles on swiss ball, elbows on floor. Jacknife up (raise butt in air). Return to plank.

Assume side plank position. Take lightweight dumbbell in top hand. Raise, like a lateral raise, and return dumbbell to front (to floor in front of hips.) Repeat, raising dumbell and return to back (in back at low back.) Keep switching back & forth. I like this because you hit delts and core in the same exercise.