PDA

View Full Version : For all of us ladies with IT Band syndrome

westtexas
07-07-2012, 05:27 AM
I know since I was diagnosed with IT band problems (and muscle strength incongruity) and went through physical therapy for it, I have seen so many posts about it here on the forum. I was reading Sweat Science this morning and an older article was posted about the merits of strength training vs. stretching to help ease this painful condition:

Strengthening, Not Stretching for IT Band Syndrome (http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/06/strengthening-not-stretching-to-deal-with-iliotibial-band-syndrome/)

This matches my experience - that the stretching exercises they had me do in the beginning helped a little, but when I started doing leg presses and leg lifts and using the resistance band (among other quadricep and hamstring strengthening exercises) that's when I saw real improvement with my knee and have since not had a problem with it.

Thought I'd share!

pll
07-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Thank you! The suggested exercises are easy to do (no major equipment needed).

indysteel
07-07-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the link I think those exercises are important for cyclists to do in general, even without ITB problems, because they end being underworked or not worked at all while on the bike. The imbalances that can result can lead to a host of issues, if my own experience is any guide.

Catrin
07-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Nice little article, and it does match my experience. I think addressing strength and muscle imbalances at the same time goes a long way to ease chronic problems like this, Indy hit the nail on the head.

Wahine
07-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the link I think those exercises are important for cyclists to do in general, even without ITB problems, because they end being underworked or not worked at all while on the bike. The imbalances that can result can lead to a host of issues, if my own experience is any guide.

This exactly.

A muscle imbalance always has a shortened muscle/tissue component and a weak muscle component. IT band syndrome should most definitely be treated by addressing both issues in order to achieve long term results.