PDA

View Full Version : Montana Bicycle Ride

lauraelmore1033
07-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Anybody doing this (http://www.bicycleridesnw.org/mbr_itinerary.html) tour?
We did the Washington tour with this same outfit last year and it was pretty fabulous.

cosc
07-05-2012, 06:54 AM
I was thinking about the Oregon ride since Montana ride spots are all taken.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Washington ride. I've not heard much about this tour company.

I doubt if I will do it this summer since Oregon is so far from S. Dakota.
My dh and I went through some of this tour on our self-supported transamerica ride. Such beautiful country, I would love to be there, riding again.

lauraelmore1033
07-05-2012, 08:44 AM
I can only say good things about this company. The routes were very well organized and marked, and they even have a porta potty truck that goes out on the routes each day. The riders are pretty well pampered with good food and drink, both on the route and back at camp. Dh LOVED the fact that there was always a tub of ice cold beer waiting for us when we returned to camp each day. Of course, the route was gorgeous most of the time...

Sky King
08-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Rolling, Rolling, rolling :) Be prepared for some hills but it sounds like fun. Wish they were taking you around the east side of the lake so you could go through Big Fork. Should be beautiful!

lauraelmore1033
08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah, can't really get away from those hills...
Actually, the elvation profiles look pretty similar to what we're used to riding aroung here. I'll grow old waiting for the All Downhill Tour:rolleyes:...

Tri Girl
08-04-2012, 07:05 AM
I'll grow old waiting for the All Downhill Tour:rolleyes:...

oooo....that's not a bad idea. Maybe I will create a tour that is all downhill. That puppy would sell out so fast!! :D Do it in the Rockies. Every day shuttle the riders to the top of a mountain and let 'em go. ha!

That ride looks fantastic!!! You have to report back on it (with pictures) when you finish!!

smittykitty
08-07-2012, 05:53 PM
Driving yesterday from Glacier National Park with our travel trailer (Totally awesome by the way) heading home to PNW. We were driving south along Flat Head Lake and we saw numerous riders going north. Very hilly, well supported with WA plates on the support vehicles.

DH was wishing he could just stop and ask them about their ride. He was so curious. I said "let me check with the ladies on TE, they will know". Sure enough!

After my first real visit to Montana, I would have to think this is a totally awesome ride. Lots of hills along Flat Head Lake, but Montana is beautiful! Hope they are having a ton of fun.

lauraelmore1033
08-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Yup, that was us! There is going to be a Montana Tour next year as well, since this one was so popular. They gave us a Save The Date Card that says, "featuring Yaak". Just sounded funny. I will definitely be posting a report with pictures soon. I just wish it hadn't been so hot. And realizing it was mostly on two lane highways with 70 mph speed limits took a bit of getting used to. Overall, a great tour, put on by a great company.

smittykitty
08-13-2012, 06:50 PM
OH the hills!

lauraelmore1033
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Yeah, it was hilly, but could have been so much worse considering it's Montana! You can absolutely find similar climbs around here in the foothills of the Cascades.
When we were driving over there, we saw riders Crossing Snoqualmie Pass on I 90 doing the Redspoke ride and we both said, "thank goodness we're not doing THAT ride!

SadieKate
08-14-2012, 06:20 AM
Just saw the couple in my indoor class who went. Interesting that her first comment was that there were way too many miles on highways. And that people were lined up for breakfast 20 mins before it was even ready! :rolleyes:

lauraelmore1033
08-14-2012, 07:19 AM
yep, too many highway miles and the behavior of certain "type A" people did take the shine off of things. I don't think I would do a tour of Montana again, knowing the situation with the roads, but the petty jockying that goes on in any kind of tour of this size seems inevitable:rolleyes:

SadieKate
08-14-2012, 08:05 AM
I can't imagine going on vacation with 300 of my closest friends. :eek:

I guess you could say I'm an independent cuss and proud of it.:p

lauraelmore1033
08-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Ya, I do feel like I need a vacation from the vacation...