PDA

View Full Version : The next generation of crazy drivers!

Eden
01-02-2006, 08:44 AM
I was just listening to NPR and they had a short segment about the "in car entertainment" industry. Forget just the old DVD player in the back seat for the kiddies - think dvd,tv, touch screens, even gaming consoles in the dashboard where the driver can see it!!! They said that the more scupulous companies wire them up so that they won't work while the car is being driven, but that there are definite ways around the interlocks and plenty of not so honest installers who will do it. Of course this all appeals to teenagers the most, who are the least reliable drivers in the first place! aargh mad: mad: mad:
Even the host of the show (Morning edition-link to listen to the segment- http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...storyId=5079084) admitted to once sending a text message while driving. It just makes you want to hand out dope slaps - maybe make everyone who wants to buy one of these stupid sytems have a meeting with a family like Boudreaux's (for those who don't know about him- a very active cyclist and fourm poster who was recently killed by a teenager text messaging in her car) before they can get it.
I think that it is illegal in this state to have any of these kind of entertainment devices where the driver can see them and I would hope that these laws were in force everywhere, but again I don't think that it will stop people from getting and using it illegally until they actually hurt someone.: