PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a small touring bike

Littlerider
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm 5'2 and have determined that the 48" in many touring bike brands is too big. I'm wondering if I should be looking at a different style of bike which is not strickly touring as I'll be credit card touring and the load will be light.

My next option to try is the Surly LHT in a 46, which one of the bike stores is going to assemble for me.

Looking for suggestions,
Thanks...

indysteel
06-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Would a size 47 in the Jamis Aurora fit you?

BodhiTree
06-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Here's a 4'11" woman's review of the Surly Long Haul Trucker
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17451&highlight=review+surly+long+haul+trucker

Savra
06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Surly! Surly! Surly! I am not the least bit bias. :) PS - I'm 5'2" and that size fits me too.

Kathi
06-07-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm 5'2" (almost) and do touring with organizations that sag my gear. I built a custom road bike and use it for all my riding, including tours. Unless you're planning on sagging your own gear a good fitting road bike will work. I really appreciate the lightness of my frame on a 70 mile day.

Littlerider
06-07-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm 5'2" (almost) and do touring with organizations that sag my gear. I built a custom road bike and use it for all my riding, including tours. Unless you're planning on sagging your own gear a good fitting road bike will work. I really appreciate the lightness of my frame on a 70 mile day.

Kathi, what are you riding and what is it made of. I've been told that for long rides that I'm going to want steel.

Kathi
06-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I ride a carbon/ti Serotta. Yes, steel or carbon especially if your lightweight. A handbuilt wheelset over the stock wheels is an invaluable option for a lightweight rider. The builder can tune the wheels to your weight instead of a 180 lb rider yet they will still be strong enough to handle the rigors of touring.

My wheelset is 650c with 23 width tires. I use Michelin Pro Race tires.

I've been told that aluminum frames have changed but my mid 90's aluminum Cannondale beat me to death even with a carbon fork.

Crankin
06-08-2012, 02:48 AM
I built a custom ti road bike with couplers that will be used for travel and touring where I do not carry my gear... although I can put 2 panniers on this bike. I've ridden it with one pannier for shopping and it would do fine for a credit card tour.
I am 5' 1" and I also have a carbon road bike. Both bikes are awesome, but the ti feels very smooth and plush. The bike is almost as light as my carbon bike. I don't have super light wheels and they are 700s, not 650s. I've been riding this bike quite a bit, so I am used to it for my trip in August. Anything I haven't liked about this bike was more related to things I chose myself, i.e. the bars, pedals.
I looked at real touring bikes and it didn't take long for me to figure out that I could never use bar end shifters. The bikes were heavy and kind of ugly to me. I'm never going to do loaded touring, and since I'm used to riding a very light bike, this was a great compromise. I use the bike for regular riding and, it can be broken down for travel.
That, and the fact that when I went to Harris Cycles, of Sheldon Brown fame, they were kind of condescending and were back in the Dark Ages, when it came to fit. I left there rather quickly.

Sky King
06-08-2012, 05:02 AM
Littlerider, You can not beat a surly LHT in the price range it falls into. Even Grant Petersen of Bridgestone now Rivendell fame touts Surly as the best bike for the price. Hope you enjoy test riding.

Kathi
06-08-2012, 05:31 AM
I built a custom ti road bike with couplers that will be used for travel and touring where I do not carry my gear... although I can put 2 panniers on this bike. I've ridden it with one pannier for shopping and it would do fine for a credit card tour.
I am 5' 1" and I also have a carbon road bike. Both bikes are awesome, but the ti feels very smooth and plush. The bike is almost as light as my carbon bike. I don't have super light wheels and they are 700s, not 650s. I've been riding this bike quite a bit, so I am used to it for my trip in August. Anything I haven't liked about this bike was more related to things I chose myself, i.e. the bars, pedals.
I looked at real touring bikes and it didn't take long for me to figure out that I could never use bar end shifters. The bikes were heavy and kind of ugly to me. I'm never going to do loaded touring, and since I'm used to riding a very light bike, this was a great compromise. I use the bike for regular riding and, it can be broken down for travel.
That, and the fact that when I went to Harris Cycles, of Sheldon Brown fame, they were kind of condescending and were back in the Dark Ages, when it came to fit. I left there rather quickly.

Besides the looks and weight of touring bikes I too was concerned about the fit. I don't know how Surly's fit but at one time I looked at the geometry of touring bikes and realized that because of my size I'd never get the fit I need.

If you need to take weight off a bike the recommendation is to lighten your rotating weight with a lighter wheelset. Plus, a wheelset built for a 180lb rider will feel stiffer to a lighter weight rider.

I had my bike built for 650's because I didn't want any compromises on the fit of the frame. My fitter said he would not have put 700c's on that small of a frame. Besides, the 650's look proportionally nicer on the small frame.

People ride all kinds of bikes on the tours I do. My best advice is to buy a bike you can afford and be sure it fits very well. A good fitter will help you with this. If your bike doesn't fit well you will feel it on back to back days.

Kathi
06-08-2012, 05:49 AM
One point about the Surly is that you can run wide tires on it. That's great if it's something you think you will need but on the tours I have done I've had no need for wide tires. Occasionally you'll run into road construction or a detour that could be gravel for a short distance but not enough to require wide tires. On tours that need wide tires, like the Mickelsen trail in S. Dakota, I use my mountain bike with light trail tires.

Also, I have no desire to add weight to my bike so I don't load it down with unnecessary stuff. When I do need extras I use my Camelback which holds everything I need.

jezbael
06-08-2012, 07:20 AM
I just bought a Surly LHT in anticipation for my first big tour this summer. I love it. It's technically a little big for me -- I'm 5'5", and the bike is 52" -- I can just clear the topbar when I'm standing. However, I like the fit for my reach, and I don't even notice the height because I'm almost never standing straight up over the bar with both feet on the ground. I'm almost always at an angle with one foot on the pedal.

Kathi
06-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I don't know if this fits your price range but if you want a nice light weight steel frame take a look at Independent Fabrication bicycles or Serotta. Both make nice stock steel frames in small sizes.

My SO has the IF Crown Jewel and loves it.

I was looking at the wrong Surly when I made my comments but the small LHT has 26" wheels (wider tires) and is not the same as a 650C wheel.

If you're not going to be using panniers or a trailer you don't need the extra frame weight and heavier wheels of a touring bike.

Crankin
06-08-2012, 10:54 AM
I have nothing against 650 wheels, I had them on my Trek. But Guru (the company that built my ti bike) didn't seem to think I needed them. The wheels don't look too big for my bike. Only once did I notice toe overlap, when I was making the very sharp turn, uphill into my driveway. It scared me to death, but now I just approach the turn differently. I have 700 wheels on my carbon bike (48 cm unisex frame, with a lot of short reach things on it) and didn't notice any difference when I switched to that bike from my Trek 5200 with the smaller wheels. I do have 25cm tires on the ti bike, which makes it a bit smoother and I could put 28s on there, if I wanted to. The geometry on my ti bike is much more relaxed than the carbon one, so the bike looks bigger, even though the measurements are smaller, if that makes sense. I actually don't like being quite so upright, but I just need to switch the position of the bars a bit.

Kathi
06-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I have nothing against 650 wheels, I had them on my Trek. But Guru (the company that built my ti bike) didn't seem to think I needed them. The wheels don't look too big for my bike. Only once did I notice toe overlap, when I was making the very sharp turn, uphill into my driveway. It scared me to death, but now I just approach the turn differently. I have 700 wheels on my carbon bike (48 cm unisex frame, with a lot of short reach things on it) and didn't notice any difference when I switched to that bike from my Trek 5200 with the smaller wheels. I do have 25cm tires on the ti bike, which makes it a bit smoother and I could put 28s on there, if I wanted to. The geometry on my ti bike is much more relaxed than the carbon one, so the bike looks bigger, even though the measurements are smaller, if that makes sense. I actually don't like being quite so upright, but I just need to switch the position of the bars a bit.

I'm curious, how does one do relaxed geometry on a small frame? I have the impression that relaxed geometry has a slack sta. but when I was out riding today I noticed a woman riding with a more upright position. Is that what you consider relaxed in spite of the position of the sta. My neighbor rides a hybred so he's in a very upright position.

For example, back in the old days the shop would put my handlebars in a very low position. They were so low that when I rode in my drops my thigh hit my boobs. I almost never rode in my drops. I would consider that an aggressive position. But it wasn't a good position for me. With my custom frame I have a longer ht than you would find on a stock frame but I'm in a neutral position, not high, not low. So is that a relaxed geometry or aggressive geometry? My front end is designed so I can raise or lower my handlebars by switching the spacers or stem. I will not, however, be able to go as high as a hybred.

I once tried a small touring bike that was custom designed for a woman my size. It had a slack sta but it was terrible for me. I felt like I was riding a recumbent because I wasn't centered over the pedals. Of course the bike wasn't fitted to me but I doubt the saddle could have been moved forward enough.

My saddle is as far forward as it can go, even with a 74.8 degree sta and a zero degree seat post so I'm pretty sure I can't go slacker, like 72.5 degree sta.

So based on the fact that certain aspects of geometry cannot change for me I'm confused as to what you did to get a relaxed geometry on your bike.

featuretile
06-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I just did a tour where the baggage was carried for us and I used my roadbike - Specialized Ruby Comp. That works just fine.

I have also done tours on my Bike Friday Crusoe, and that is the bike I take when I fly or if I just want to be able to stick it in the back of my car on any trip. And I bought a Xootr CrossRack if I ever go credit card touring: http://www.xootr.com/crossrack-bike-rack.html With the cost of shipping a bike, it might make sense to get a Friday, which they do make small enough for you. I am also 5'2".

Crankin
06-09-2012, 04:54 AM
OK, well, I am not so technical, but from my ignorant standpoint, both the seat tube and head tube on the Guru are taller than on my carbon bike, which is because on the carbon bike, they were essentially making the bike fit me, if that makes sense. I have hardly any stem showing on the carbon bike, and on the Guru, it looks, well, normal. I have my bars exactly even with my saddle on my carbon bike. They are a little above the saddle on the Guru, which I need to change. When I had the fitting (very extensive, on the Guru fitting system), he started out with it very upright; I kept saying "no, lower," until it felt OK. Then, after the bike arrived, I still had him change the position, based on being on the trainer. I think the fact that I said this bike is going to be used for long, hilly rides on tours/trips and my age made him want to put me more upright, but we compromised.
One of my issues is that while my Kuota may not be exactly right for me, I am used to it. I have a lot of issues with changing to anything new and I am not particularly adept at handling these changes, despite years of riding. In fact, what really made me want a custom bike with couplers was my experience with my rented Orbea in Spain, on a tour. It was a 48 cm unisex frame, with a triple, just like my Kuota, but the bars were too wide and it didn't have the short reach brifters. I could barely ride the thing and it caused quite a lot of anxiety the first 2 days. On previous tours, I either had my own bike or a Trek Madone exactly like the one I had.
My first 10-15 or so rides on the Guru were hell, starting with just starting off to get on the saddle. I definitely have to push myself up higher to get on the saddle (realized that after the first ride when I alost impaled myself by catching my shorts and bum on the saddle), as the bike just feels "higher up" and bigger, even though it fits perfectly. It is the different geometry that felt weird to me, if this makes sense, and I don't do well with differences. I found myself shaking and often feeling like I was having difficulty keeping a straight line in the beginning of rides. But, one day it just "clicked," and as long I remember that I have to think about getting on the saddle and pushing off, I absolutely love the feel of this bike. If you put my 2 bikes next to each other, the Kuota looks little compared the Guru, but both fit me.

Kathi
06-09-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm not that technical either so when someone talks "relaxed" vs "aggressive" geometry I'm not sure what it means. I suppose the wheelbase determines some of that too. I remember reading about sta having to do with it but your body is what it is and I don't see that changing much. I suppose larger riders have more options than smaller riders.

When I got my custom frame I had an ahhhhh feeling, my body just settled right in. I had been on poor fitting bikes for so long I really had no idea what a good fit was all about. At first I thought I was too stretched out but the handling was so much better and the ride was so smooth. The fit was so perfect I changed nothing for several years. Due to back and hip pain I changed to the Specialized Ruby saddle and got rid of my orthotics which meant smaller shoes and an adjustment on the saddle, but nothing has been changed with handlebar height, etc.

I recently took my Aegis CF to my fitter to have the fit adjusted and he told me the cockpit was too small for me. I only use this bike on the trainer, haven't ridden it outside since I've had my Serotta so my fitter thinks I should sell it.

I don't remember much about my fitting but my fitter used the Serotta size cycle. He started with the setup of my Aegis and then made adjustments until I felt right. When I saw him last month he told me I had the perfect riding position on the bike and he wished all his riders sat as well as I do.

I don't consider the geometry on my bike relaxed or aggressive. Probably neutral or "me" geometry which is why I asked.

Crankin
06-09-2012, 07:58 AM
After all of my experiences with bikes, I have come to the conclusion that I will never have that "aha" moment. I have never felt "at one" with any bike, but I suspect that part of it is my own issues of balance and coordination. My fitting was very similar to what you describe, except on the Guru simulator. We were close to going with Serotta, since they are local, but our shop started working with Guru, so we did that. My DS has a steel Serotta, from 2001, that was originally my other son's racing bike. It is a beautiful bike and he often gets compliments on it.
Yes, the difference between my 2 bikes is the longer wheelbase on the Guru. I am sure that I might be told that the cockpit on my Kuota is too small, but I love that feeling!

Kathi
06-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Does your shop still sell Serotta's? I hear that due to Serotta's restructuring there are only 30 shops in the country that now carry them. My fitter is the head Serotta trainer for the Serotta SICI fit school. My fitter in Cincy is also an SICI fit trainer.

BTW, I just got a nasty chip on the TT. Six years and no scratches. I'm devasted but trying not to think about it.

You can also see why I insisted on 650c wheels. The frame is an Ottrott (carbon/ti) and for what I paid for it I didn't want any compromises.

Crankin
06-09-2012, 11:47 AM
It wasn't the shop that I bought both of my bikes from that we were going to use for the Serottas. It's a shop in a neighboring town that sells Serottas and a weird mix of townie and commuter bikes. It was started by former Serotta employees, I think. Our son's Serotta came from one of the largest shops in the area, but I don't think they sell them anymore. His was not custom, though.
Funny, I don't get upset about scratches on my bikes. My Kuota has a few from crashes or getting shoved into the back of my last car. They aren't highly visible, but I just figure it's wear and tear.
However, I did just buy a station wagon so the Guru fits nicely in the back.

eofelis
06-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm 5'2" and I ride a 42cm LHT. It's not light (mine is 29lbs with XT components) and fast, but it's comfortable and bombproof and will carry anything that you can strap onto it.

http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/51058/2832675160046505395S600x600Q85.jpg (http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2832675160046505395vCqgkD)
Here is mine on a 2008 tour, outside of Silverton, Colorado.

mandymoo
09-30-2012, 01:46 AM
Hi, I am 1.52m and also have a 42" LHT and LOVE it! My only suggestion would be to try and get it fitted for you - I didn't have a clue about how the bike should be set up and had a fitting done which made a big difference.

Here is a photo of my bike on our first day of our trip :)

moo

Jacquot
10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
For example, back in the old days the shop would put my handlebars in a very low position. They were so low that when I rode in my drops my thigh hit my boobs.

When I had the drivetrain replaced on my 1987 Miyata touring bike (still going strong), I had the cranks replaced with 165 mm ones. Why some manufacturers still equip their smallest frames with 170 mm cranks, I don't know. My knees no longer contact my chest when I'm in the drops and my knees like the reduced range of motion too.

Like Jezbael, my Miyata is technically too big for me (I can't straddle the top tube) but the fit is just fine when I'm riding. There's just enough seat post exposed for the strap from my tool bag. It is comfortable enough to do 60-80 km days carrying camping gear. I haven't done longer trips lately but DH and I used to do 100 km in a day.

FWIW, if I hadn't had the drivetrain replaced, I would have replaced the bike with a small LHT. But I wouldn't have been able to part with the first really good bike I ever bought.

Jacquie

Hartmame
10-27-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm 5'4" and ride a 46cm Surely LHT. Get a fit done if possible Surly fit is a large feeling. I think I would ride a 48-50cm in a regular road bike.

happyscientist
11-03-2012, 04:07 AM
Hello everyone. I have posted in that general introduction thread but am new to these forums. Over the last year and a half, I have become thoroughly addicted to roadbiking and am the obnoxious person who feels better at the end of a century than the beginning. Next year, I want to start doing fully supported tours, and do unsupported tours after that. I have an overwhelming desire to just ride my bike and camp. So I started looking into touring bikes. At 5'4", my options are limited, but I was thinking about saving up my money and going with a custom made Seven or IF in 2014.
For those of you who have custom made bikes, do you have experience with either of these brands?

emily_in_nc
11-03-2012, 07:19 AM
There's a Bike Friday New World Tourist (size Small) for sale on this forum that might work for you. We used our Bike Friday Pocket Crusoes for a long unsupported tour in 2004 and have since used them for many utility rides to the markets. You're not that short at 5'4", so I am not sure that you need to go custom.

Here's a link to our bike tour report if you want to see Bike Fridays in action on an unsupported, fully loaded tour:

http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com/ny-state-bike-tour-2004.html

Good luck!

happyscientist
11-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, there is a difference between need and want. I have fallen in love with the idea of a custom made bike.

emily_in_nc
11-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Well, there is a difference between need and want. I have fallen in love with the idea of a custom made bike.

Fine, if you have the money...go for it! Custom is out of reach financially for many folks, and usually only those with somewhat odd body proportions, or very short or very tall, actually need to go custom.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

happyscientist
11-05-2012, 05:08 AM
Fine, if you have the money...go for it! Custom is out of reach financially for many folks, and usually only those with somewhat odd body proportions, or very short or very tall, actually need to go custom.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

So back to my question--do the people with custom made touring bikes have experience with either IF or Seven?

eofelis
11-05-2012, 04:03 PM
So back to my question--do the people with custom made touring bikes have experience with either IF or Seven?

Some friends of mine have 2 custom Seven bikes each. They are quite "custom" with steep sloping top tubes. They have steel road bikes with couplers and ti cross type bikes with couplers. They are really happy with them but I'm sure they paid a bundle. They pack them in cases and go to Europe and NZ with them.

My bf recently for an IF Steel Crown Jewel custom. He's very happy with it but it wasn't cheap.

I don't know what your money situation is but a custom bike is usually not cheap and touring is a very hard life for a bike. They are in all sorts of weather and road conditions, get leaned on everything, fall over, maybe even get stolen. I'm happy to have a cheap and easily replaceable bike for touring (like my LHT), and have a more expensive custom bike for road riding where it never leaves my hands when I have it out.

indysteel
11-05-2012, 04:59 PM

They're both reputable builders, but out of curiosity, why did you settle on those two builders? There are plenty of good builders out there, some of whom offer less expensive options. Are you leaning toward Ti for any given reason? Do you know enough about how you want the bike to fit and ride to articulate that to a builder?

happyscientist
11-06-2012, 04:36 AM
They're both reputable builders, but out of curiosity, why did you settle on those two builders? There are plenty of good builders out there, some of whom offer less expensive options. Are you leaning toward Ti for any given reason? Do you know enough about how you want the bike to fit and ride to articulate that to a builder?

I have gone around to several bike shops in the area (100 mile radius), and the ones that they have the most experience with. One of the shops deals with a variety of builders, including a local guy, but said the quality control was better with these two. One of the issues I have run into with premade bikes is that here in the Appalachians, the mountains just aren't that big, and the bikes are geared accordingly. However, I want to be able to ship the bike out to my family in WY and CO and ride in the Rockies, which would require different gearing.

I am still very early in the process. I would be thinking of buying in 2014 after doing some longer, supported tours. At this time, I have only done a couple overnighters. I also need to thoroughly pick the brains of the people I know who bike tour. By then, I should be able to fully articulate to the builder what I want.

indysteel
11-06-2012, 05:40 AM
I have no bone to pick with wanting a custom bike, especially if you're finding it difficult to find a touring body for somebody your size, but I would mention that changing out the gearing on an off-the-rack bike isn't all that complicated and would be far cheaper than a custom bike. So, if gearing is the major sticking point, I think that issue is easily solved. Fit, however, is a stickier wicket.

Blueberry
11-07-2012, 12:42 PM
I agree with Indy - I completely understand wanting to go custom. But I wouldn't do it because of gearing issues. Lots of tourers (Surly comes to mind) can be purchased as a frameset and built up with the components you choose.

I own a ti bike and I love it. I also own a custom folding bike. I'm not 100% sure I would re-purchase either, though. Just good for thought.

eofelis
11-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't know what your money situation is but a custom bike is usually not cheap and touring is a very hard life for a bike. They are in all sorts of weather and road conditions, get leaned on everything, fall over, maybe even get stolen. I'm happy to have a cheap and easily replaceable bike for touring (like my LHT), and have a more expensive custom bike for road riding where it never leaves my hands when I have it out.

When I say custom bike I guess I really meant custom frame. If you can find a stock frame to fit you it's pretty easy to put the components that have the gears you want on it. My LHT frame has a full Shimano XT mtn bike drive train on it. Low gear is a 22-34. I live in Colorado and have pedaled it fully loaded up some big passes just fine. I've also done 60 mile (unloaded) road rides in flat terrain on it just fine with that same gearing. I just used the 44-12 gears that day :p

murielalex
11-08-2012, 03:26 AM
I have a custom Gunnar Sport, which is a steel bike made by Waterford, which I bought for the same goal as you. For a touring bike, I didn't want to necessarily have the most expensive as I'm sure it's going to get beat up. Right now, I have it set up strictly as a road bike, without fenders and low-profile aero wheels. In the Spring, I'm breaking out the racks and wider tires (takes up to 32s or 28s with fenders) and doing a six-day tour. It's definitely one of the more affordable, quality custom frames, though they have stock frames for even better prices. I'm very happy. If I were choosing again, I would seriously look at Carl Strong's bikes, a one-man builder of excellent reputation out of Montana: really nice frames made for each rider by purpose, weight, etc. with personal attention you just can't get with the bigger operations. You can get SS coupled, etc. and the price is impressively low for what you get. I'm currently on a waiting list for a custom Kirk Framework's bike that's going to be my everyday and stay-in-Florida speedy bike. Unless I had no money concerns (wouldn't that be nice...), I wouldn't drop the big bucks on a touring bike and feel my heart sink with very ding, scratch and potential traveling mishap that comes. On the other hand, I strongly believe you should get exactly what you want regardless of what anyone else says and love it every time you're on it. My friends and family think I'm a fool for spending what I have and am about to on bikes when there are perfectly good less expensive options available, but I'm the happiest, healthiest fool I know, and there's no price on that. I love my bikes.

happyscientist
11-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Surly was my first thought, but I got a tremendous amount of resistance from the bike shops that sell them about switching out gears. Granted, these aren't the LBS where I normally shop because they don't sell Surly, so I don't know if they just don't want to be hassled or if it is a real problem. If I really wanted a Surly, I would ask my LBS if they could switch gears before I bought one. However, I am not the type of person who has to buy a new bike every year. As long as I don't get stupid, it is well within my budget to buy custom.

Murielalex, thanks for the tips. I am going to have to look up some of the companies you mention. The couplers do seem like a good idea since I will be shipping the bike. I am still early in the research process, and I will be in Bozeman next year. I wonder if Carl Strong lets people into his shop. It is funny that you mention the dings, because all of the custom sites sell touch-up paint. I hear what you are saying about people judging the expense. Most of my friends ride, so they don't have a lot of room to talk after dropping $8k on a Cervelo, but people who don't ride can be shocked by the price of bikes. But how much does golf cost? What about the people with boats? Cycling isn't the most expensive thing out there, it keeps me healthy, and I am much easier to live with when I get enough exercise:p

indysteel
11-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Carl Strong + bike = drool. I interviewed him at the North Americn Handmade Bike Show that was held in Indy in 2009. Very nice guy. I know several of his very happy customers.

happyscientist
11-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Carl Strong + bike = drool.

Whenever my husband sees me on cycling sites or flipping through catalogs, he accuses me of looking at porn.

eofelis
11-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Surly was my first thought, but I got a tremendous amount of resistance from the bike shops that sell them about switching out gears. Granted, these aren't the LBS where I normally shop because they don't sell Surly, so I don't know if they just don't want to be hassled or if it is a real problem. If I really wanted a Surly, I would ask my LBS if they could switch gears before I bought one. However, I am not the type of person who has to buy a new bike every year. As long as I don't get stupid, it is well within my budget to buy custom.

Murielalex, thanks for the tips. I am going to have to look up some of the companies you mention. The couplers do seem like a good idea since I will be shipping the bike.

You can get a LHT frame with couplers! The Long Haul Trucker Deluxe (http://surlybikes.com/bikes/trucker_deluxe).
I think they run around a $1000 for that frame. Yes, those couplers are very expensive.

Don't let those LBS people bully you into thinking that it's a big hassle to change out gearing, because it's not a big deal. Sounds like they are just being lazy.
Any bike shop can order a Surly bike or frame. They are carried by QBP, which is a supplier for almost all bike shops. Just few LBS carry them. You can order a Surly yourself online too. Many places sell them mail order (Jensen, etc).
You can even get them through REI now too. Do you have an REI nearby?

Hartmame
11-10-2012, 07:56 PM
I agree with eofelis, I love my Surly!

"Don't let those LBS people bully you into thinking that it's a big hassle to change out gearing, because it's not a big deal. Sounds like they are just being lazy.
Any bike shop can order a Surly bike or frame. They are carried by QBP, which is a supplier for almost all bike shops. Just few LBS carry them. You can order a Surly yourself online too. Many places sell them mail order (Jensen, etc).
You can even get them through REI now too. Do you have an REI nearby?"

Sky King
11-12-2012, 09:27 AM
1. NO YOU CANNOT ORDER A SURLY ONLINE - you can order a frame but not a complete bike. It is totally against SURLY policy to sell a Complete Bike online
2. Yes, anyone with a QBP account can order a Surly BUT do they have any idea how to fit a Surly or help you with your decisions (note the shops who discouraged you)
3. Yes, REI sells some Surly's but please see my comment in item 2 - we have had to "fix" and refit so many surly bike owners that got such a "great deal" at REI
4. When we sell a Frame online, we spend at least 30 minutes on the phone with the buyer before we ever ship the frame to make sure they made the correct size choice

Ok, just had to vent as we spend hours and hours blogging and discussing Surly, We stock Surly and pride ourselves as being Surly Savvy.

I agree with eofelis, I love my Surly!

"Don't let those LBS people bully you into thinking that it's a big hassle to change out gearing, because it's not a big deal. Sounds like they are just being lazy.
You can even get them through REI now too. Do you have an REI nearby?"

happyscientist
11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Sky king, you managed to suck me into your website. Like I need anymore distractions.

Anyway, if a bike shop doesn't want to deal with me, I don't want to deal with them. Unless I was stranded and had to take what I could get. So if the Surly dealers feel they have better things to do than work with me, I am not going to argue. REI is fine for some things, but my favorite LBS has an outdoor store, and there is a running store in town, so there is very little that I need to buy there.

I like to support small business and I love the idea of skilled master craftsman building a bike for me. It is far more appealing than some poor little kids in an Asian sweatshop. I don't get new-bikitis or feel the need to fill a stable, but I can see upgrading my roadbike in a few years or buying a touring bike in 2014. I might go the custom route for those.

Sky King
11-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Happyscientist,
thanks for checking out our site. Custom bikes can be fantastic and look forward to hearing about your journey. The North American Handmade Bicycle Shop is terrific, 2013 is in Denver if you get there, is well worth it. While we have lived in Idaho 22 years we still consider Montana home and Carl Strong does make a beautiful bike. As you know, I ride a Rivendell and am horribly spoiled.

Hartmame
11-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Sky king; I see what you mean by using a shop that knows what it's doing with sizing. Touring bikes fit differently than road bikes or race bikes. I did a lot of research before buying my LHT frame and talked to a guy who toured to figure out what I needed before I purchased my frame. Built it up myself and as far as I can tell only made one "sort of" mistake. I should have used shorter cranks. I was using parts I already had lying around though and used what I had. I rode 2000 miles this summer on them and they are OK just think on a longer tour shorter cranks would be more comfortable.

rustyshrapnel
11-21-2012, 04:45 AM
I know there's already a lot of Surly love on this thread but I'd just like to add my 2 cents. My friend is a little shorty and has a 42" LHT. She LOVES it and says it fits great. Here's my friend (our other friend for scale, he's about 6"):

Aaand here's her LHT (we call it the MiniTrucker):

She said the moustache bars took a little getting used to but are comfy for her.

As for me, I'm 5'5" and love a good steel frame. My BF and I do long rides together and he's got a LHT that holds all our stuff, so I'm spoiled in that I can go very minimal on road trips since he's my built-in SAG. I was on a tighter budget so I picked up a ready-to-ride 1984 Nishiki mixte for $150 on Craigslist, which solved any "can I fit this top tube" issues, cleaned it up, and kitted it with a spanky new wheelset and cassette. It's certainly fast enough, very comfortable, and I did a 70 mile ride on it a couple weekends ago without my tush or any other parts of me complaining. If you're on a super tight budget, going vintage may be a good bang for your buck, and mixte frames are very short-lady friendly while still being strong and offering good ride quality.

nuliajuk
12-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned or not (I didn't go through the entire thread, as it's quite long) but the smallest Salsa Vaya models come with 26" wheels. This makes for a 50cm top tube, 74.5 degree seat tube angle and 69.8 cm(27.5") stand-over clearance on the smallest (50 cm) size. 26" wheels make so much sense for a small touring-type bike.
I spotted a 56cm Vaya in a local shop today and looked it up when I got home. Neat machine.
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya_3

nuliajuk
12-08-2012, 04:50 AM
They're making a travel version now, with stainless steel tubing and SS couplers.
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya_travel

eofelis
12-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Competitive Cyclist has a titanium Salsa Vaya (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2012-salsa-vaya-ti-19345.html) on sale for 1000 off, so 2 grand instead of 3, it's to die for, but they only have a size 50 left. Too small for me, which is just as well.

I bought the last one that CC had. I'll update when I get it!