PDA

View Full Version : If you are 5'2", what road bike size are you riding ?

moogal
12-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I've been itching to upgrade from my existing alum roadbike to a Ti one. I've been shopping and shopping online ..

Just wondering among the ladies in this forum who are about 5'2" tall, what road bike size are you riding ?

I'm looking at Merlin Camena and Litespeed Bella, both are WSD. But I'm torn between their XS and small sizes. A competitive fit will recommend a small but a more relaxed riding style will recommend a xs size.

Your comments are very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

massbikebabe
12-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Moogal...

I'm about 5'3" and ride a 51 WSD. Like we have all said a million times before...you gotta get on the bike to make sure it is "the one"

karen

Trek420
12-30-2005, 05:51 AM
what massbike sed :cool: I'm 5'1" and ride a full custom road bike, I think a 47 cm.

But you gotta get on the bike and ride it, it's well worth the extra time and/or expense.

tatormc
12-30-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm 5'2" and ride a Giant road bike size XS since it's a compact frame. When I was fitted I was told I would ride a 48 since my body is equally proportioned between top and bottom.

SadieKate
12-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Numbers don't mean a thing. I've ridden a wide range of sizes. I currently ride road frames "labeled" 48, 51 and 52. The top tubes of all are within 1 CM of each other.

You need to know what top tube length you need, combined with the stem and bar length. Headset height will also change from frame to frame. Don't order a frame on-line unless you really know how to measure your current frame and compare to the frames you are considering (BTW, nice frames).

Are you planning to build the bike yourself? Do you own the components or buy from your LBS or? If you have a qualified fitter at an LBS, you could pay for a consultation or they may do it for free if you buy the components from them.

Editing to add:

A competitive fit will recommend a small but a more relaxed riding style will recommend a xs size. "Competitive" vs "Relaxed"- This is a personal decision based on your preferences, riding style, distance, flexibility, body type, hills to be climbed, etc., etc., etc."

Eden
12-30-2005, 08:02 AM
I totally agree with the other gals - the frame sizes alone doesn't mean too much. If I plug all of my stats into most manufacturers sizing charts I usually come up with a recommendation of a 46 to a 48, but my current bike is a 44cm and it fits me well - but I am still looking at getting a shorter stem! I am 5' even, with a short arms. Of course with a different company and different geometry the "size" that fits me could change. To make it even more confusing not all manufacturers measure the same. Its better to get out there and find a good fitter and test ride, test ride, test ride. BTW - I understand for a little more moola Litespeed will customize the geometry of any of their frames.

Q. why would the smaller frame be the "relaxed fit" and the larger be the "competitive" fit? logic tells me the smaller frame would allow you to get your seat up higher and your handlebars lower for a more aggresive position? I only ask because I just had my stem flipped to get me down lower and once I get used to the new position the spacers will be moved to the top to lower me even more. I think this new bike is the first one I've had that has been small enough to get the handlebars lower than the saddle (right now with the stem flipped its about level)

SadieKate
12-30-2005, 08:06 AM
A smaller frame will have a short top which allows a longer stem. It will also have a shorter head tube. These both add to the competitive long and low position of racers - as well as stem angle as you mentioned.

Nanci
12-31-2005, 03:53 AM
I'm 61.5 inches tall, and ride a Trek 47" wsd with 650 wheels. It seems to be a perfect fit for me.

It seems smaller than my Titus MTB, which is a small frame, and with that bike I was also torn between S and XS, and went with the S because XS was a different frame, (but my frame got recalled later, so I didn't end up with it anyway) and I feel a lot more stretched out on the S, not in an uncomfortable way, but I think I'd have more control over the bike if it were smaller.

Nanci

annie
12-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I, too, am 61.5 inches tall (or short, as the case may be - ;) )
I ride a Trek 5200 WSD, 51 cm., with 650 wheels and am very comfortable! I also ride a Trek 2100 (older model, long before they made WSD), 47 cm. frame and 700 wheels. My mtb is a trek 6500, size small - not sure what that translates to. Point is, while reading about what fits other people can help get an idea of where to start, test-riding different bikes and different sizes is so important. It's the only true test of how the bike feels to you. Good luck, moogal. Hope you find that perfect bike.

annie

sarahkonamojo
12-31-2005, 10:54 AM
Is a 48cm Specialized Dolce Comp (WSD.) I was also able to fit the mens/unisex 48cm model, but got a deal on the Dolce. Long torso short arms but still needed narrower bars.

5' 2 1/4"

Good luck

luv'nAustin
01-01-2006, 07:12 AM
Hi Moogal!

Have you decided which bike and size you'd like? I am just over 5'1'' and I ride the small Camena. I was told by the LBS that both the XS and the small frame would work for me. Choosing the size wasn't too difficult, but I didn't like the idea of the smaller wheels. I almost chose to go with their custom option so that I could get bigger wheels, but since this is my first year of riding, I felt guilt over spending the additional money!

I love the feel of the bike and how smooth it is on the road. I no longer have the wrist and elbow pain that I had when I rode my aluminim frame.

Good luck and go with whatever feels the best...please let us know of your final decision!

karri

Embellina
01-01-2006, 02:53 PM
I'm on a 51 cm Trek 2100. My LBS owner told me I didn't need the WSD because my arms are fairly long and I believed her. (They didn't have any 2100s in my size in stock, WSD or no, so it wasn't like she was trying to unload inventory.) I feel really good on the bike, but much better in the drops than on the hoods. I have little hands, though, so I could probably use something to help me reach the brakes a little better.

I'm 62.5 inches tall.

moogal
01-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Hi Moogal!

Have you decided which bike and size you'd like? I am just over 5'1'' and I ride the small Camena. I was told by the LBS that both the XS and the small frame would work for me. Choosing the size wasn't too difficult, but I didn't like the idea of the smaller wheels. I almost chose to go with their custom option so that I could get bigger wheels, but since this is my first year of riding, I felt guilt over spending the additional money!

karri

This has to be one of the best bike forums that I'm on. Thanks all. :)

Luv'nAustin, great to know that you are riding a camena. I'm pretty torn between the Litespeed Bella and Camena. One of the big factor was the wheel size. Bella comes with 700 for the small and I don't understand why a Small camena has 650c wheels. I'm currently using 700 and I like the feel. How's the feel of the bike so far ? I'm going to try to test ride the Bella next week at a LBS to check out the feel. But I've been told that Merlin rides better than a Litespeed.

oh .. and Happy New Year to all on the forum :)

eofelis
01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm about 5'2" and I ride a 42cm Surly Pacer. I also ride a 42cm Surly Long Haul Trucker. However, a 42cm Surly Crosscheck would be too big for me. So I guess the size of the bike means nothing, just the fit.:confused:

kiwi girl
01-08-2006, 01:27 PM
I'd agree you can't go off the stated size, its the overall dimensions that matter

i'm a smidge under 5'2" and am riding the XS fem equip in this range http://www.emc2bikes.com/?pi_pageid=27 - it has a 38 cm seat tube and a 50.5 cm top tube http://www.emc2bikes.com/?pi_pageid=4

psychavoc
01-19-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm 5'2" and ride a Giant road bike size XS since it's a compact frame. When I was fitted I was told I would ride a 48 since my body is equally proportioned between top and bottom.
Ditto.

5'3" and ride a Giant XS road bike too. The compact frames suit me and my short legs! I had a 48cm Avanti Sprint for a while too, and that gave me no standover clearance, and the toptube was a bit too long for me.

juvel01
02-15-2006, 08:43 AM
I am 5'1 and just ordered a new frame, a Giant XS (43") non WSD and which will have 700 wheels when its done. It is compact geometry and the more agressive riding position. However, that being said, I have NO torso what so ever and am all leg (34" inseam).

On a Trek, I ride a 50 with a really short stem. Its all about body proportion though. Someone else who is about my height rides a full size bigger than me in the Giant as she is all torso and no leg. I would sit on a few bikes and see where you feel good.

bcipam
02-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Moogal...

I'm about 5'3" and ride a 51 WSD. Like we have all said a million times before...you gotta get on the bike to make sure it is "the one"

karen

Mass...babe... are you all legs???!!!! I'm 5'8", fairly proportioned and ride a 51 cm Lemond Zurich. I probably could have done the 53 if I got the WSD bike but since the Lemond top tube is fairly long, I went with the regular 51.

You must be all legs and arms!!!!

Brandi
02-25-2006, 08:32 AM
I am 5'3 and ride a 14 giant xtc. Tried many bikes before this. I was riding a 16 1/2 giant warp and it was not the right size. Our lbs guy is not very good. And we live in a small county with the nearest town about an hour away. So my choices are not very good. as a matter of fact no one had a bike my size anywhere. Even went to a store in Vegas when I was there for a convention. They had nothing. Kinda sucks when you are short. My husband took a stab at it and was right on in sizing me. He built a great bike for me. He said he will never buy a bike again, that he will always build them from here on out. Which is awsome! He built a over $2,000. bike for about $ 1,000. I was so proud of him!

moogal
03-09-2006, 04:45 PM
I am 5'3 and ride a 14 giant xtc. Tried many bikes before this. I was riding a 16 1/2 giant warp and it was not the right size. Our lbs guy is not very good. And we live in a small county with the nearest town about an hour away. So my choices are not very good. as a matter of fact no one had a bike my size anywhere. Even went to a store in Vegas when I was there for a convention. They had nothing. Kinda sucks when you are short. My husband took a stab at it and was right on in sizing me. He built a great bike for me. He said he will never buy a bike again, that he will always build them from here on out. Which is awsome! He built a over $2,000. bike for about $ 1,000. I was so proud of him!

Hi Brandi,

How can you be short at 5'3 ? :confused: heh heh .. anyway, finally bought my new bike. Its a XS Argon18 carbon bike. Its so light .. fast ... smooth. So happy with this new baby. :D