PDA

View Full Version : What do you want from a Spin class?

Raindrop
12-29-2005, 10:13 PM
1 have been coaching indoor cycling classes since 1997, and have been riding outside since about 1998. My classes tend to follow "outside" riding in that I develop profiles that have a purpose, whether it is strength (climbing) or speed work (TTs or sprint work).

It's come down to the point that people attending my class either object to the amount of saddle time, because I don't do a lot of out of saddle work, or the drill work, or the lack of "excitement" in class (i.e. lots of saddle changes).

Those people that cycle outdoors appreciate my classes because there's not a lot of fluff (and...if I do say so myself...I have awesome music to back up my profiles and I've gotten a lot of compiments on it)....but I am not catering to the competitive cyclists (although they're part of my group), I'm hoping to appeal to anyone who likes cycling.

Most people are in between. They're either there for the cardio (non-cyclists) or people that ride and want to keep their "edge" in the off season.
I consider myself a recreational cyclist. I'll never compete, I ride to the grocery store, and I ride for fun.... I'll ride just cause I like to ride, that's it. Once in a great while...I'll ride for "real" mileage, but I don't have the time or schedule to do that all that often.

How many of you fit in that category? What would you like to find in an indoor cycling class? Every year in the past, I've done periodization....not all members are into that (although it benefits all members because of the training regimen).

So....what would you consider to be your "ideal class"?:confused:

Irulan
12-30-2005, 07:14 AM
In no particular order
-to not hate the current song
-to get more fit ( strength and endurance0
-to have at least some relevance to real riding ( ok, I'm a singletrack rider, I know this is dreaming)
-to not have stupid moves ( popcorn, jumps, hate those)

I figure there's no dream class that's tailored just for me, and every instructor is different, so I just close my eyes and dream of singletrack to get me though some of them.

Also, when the instructor is leading us verbally through something, like a road climb with a tree across the road (??wtf??) where you are supposed to "power around it" I'll shout out things like BUNNY HOP just because I can't help being a smart*ss sometimes.

irulan

edit - what is periodization, please define

bcipam
12-30-2005, 09:59 AM
It's kind of you to ask...

My favorite spin instructors are probably most like you. I am an outdoor cyclist that spins as a alternative to not being able to ride outside and to maintain fitness.

Favorite classes: Ones were they is alot of long, sustain aerobic activity. I rather have it out of the saddle only because spin class saddles tend to be very wide and thus hard on the booty but I can sit as well. I rather not have a ton of tension (say riding in the 80% or above area) unless it's for a very short period of time. I also do not like alot of very fast spin (120 rpms or more) as to me, it serves no purpose. I definitely will not spin fast and stand at the same time. Too risky for injury and again serves me no purpose.

One really good way to keep the class interesting is the music. I can do anything if the music is good. I hate, and have walked out of classes, when 1) the music is too loud - I still have good hearing thank you and 2) the beat is a constant, sustained techno drive. Ugh, nothing worse. The Techno music gives me a headache. Best music seems to be good alternative rock and hip-hop. OK to mix it up with some oldies and it's also cool to put in some different seldom heard "world" music. Let the class know you spent same time making your CD's.

I dislike the up for 4 counts, down for 4 counts, up and down, up and down stuff but will tolerate and sometimes enjoy the back and forth or side to side in order to hit different muscle groups.

I know it's difficult to satisfy both groups but this is a spin class, more like cycling than Stepping and should be as close to cycling as possible. At least that's my 2 cent. Once folks get used to actually riding the bike properly (OK another subject I can go on forever - good form. Alot of people have no idea what good form means. If on a real bike, they would be flopping over! All bouncing elbows and straight legs. What's up with that?), they will start to enjoy the class more. Keep doing it your way. It will be appreciated.

Raindrop
01-01-2006, 05:31 PM
Thanks for your replies. I agree with both of you that music can make or break a class and for that reason I spend a lot of time (and money) making my own cds and use a variety of music so that, if you don't like what's on now...wait, and you'll probably like what's coming.

As far as what periodization is; it's a training method where you attempt to increase training results via a series of training phases (I usually base it on 3 to four week mesocycles) which focus on weekly variations in volume, intensity and loading. It starts in the fall (when the weather turns bad with a recovery stage, then the base building stage (which for cyclists means lots of saddle time at moderate intensities, with some forays into moderate strength building) I do this in Jan. and Feb. (it's also a great start for beginners), then a significant change into higher intensities where I increase the cadence speed along with the resistance, and the intensity of the climbs. I do this in March and April, with a final increase to TT intensity and/or power (long, strong climbs) in May and June. I schedule active rest of about a week (the equivalent of three classes) to avoid overtraining and also prevent de-training. After this preparation, the competitive or even avid cyclist is ready for their summer of competition, or fun as the case may be. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so this schedule coincides with most of our weather conditions.

However, this also involves having an involved management, and clientel. It's worked in one of my locations, but not the others.

Veronica
01-01-2006, 05:41 PM
I no longer belong to a gym, but my favorite instructor was always really cool about me not doing every thing exactly the way she did. She knew that I had specific goals in mind and they didn't always fit with what she had planned. I liked her personality and her music. I did tend to choose a bike off to the side to not distract others.

V.

latelatebloomer
01-02-2006, 06:01 AM
For myself, I prefer an instructor who spends time off the bike, checks in with riders individually, really eyeballs how people are doing and becomes aware of their goals. My favorite instructor often doesn't ride at all - his class is so full he often gives his bike up - it's more a treat if he's riding with us.

I like longer intervals, where I can focus on my body - how I'm using my muscles, trying different ways of moving, a chance to close my eyes and race in the desert or wherever the music is taking me. I need the break from stress as much as my body needs the workout.

I like riding in dim light or even sometimes, in darkness - or as much darkness as the room can provide - then it's just me, the music, and my bike, and a coaxing voice.

I like an instructor who knows how to use a mike - no need to shout! I don't much like whooping, cheering, or berating.

I like at least a couple little stretch breaks, same for recovery, and I think it's good to cue riders to drink.

Spin classes really changed my life and helped me discover that there was an athletic spirit within me - and the spin instuctors and classmates never wrote me off because of my size.

latelate, over and out! ;)

alpinerabbit
01-02-2006, 09:45 AM
I want: great music, loud , but not too loud

fast speeds are stupid. I am not going up a hill standing at 150 rpm.

a cool instructor. My favorite is this wiry guy, a really crazed middle-aged man who you really believe. I do not need sexy.

good ventilation (!!)

not too many poseurs in the class

not to have to show up an hour early to grab a spot before it's booked

to get decently tired but not exhausted to the brink.

and yes, I also do it just in winter not to lose my shape. At least that's what got me started this winter.

Veronica
01-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Those standing drills with low resistance are really good for building leg strength. I have been doing the three hour spinervals DVD and Coach Troy does that exercise three times. It's a b*tch, but I am seeing improvement in my performance.

V.

alpinerabbit
01-02-2006, 12:05 PM
That really improves you? How does that match climbing real world hills? Just a stupid question...

Veronica
01-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Strength training works by stressing your muscles. Those high cadence standing drills stress your muscles. Improved leg strength translates to improved climbing ability. It also makes your technique improve, you can't do it, if you're not spinning in circles.

There are three one minute sets of this sprinkled throughout a 180 minute training video. There are other, longer sets that focus on riding the way you would really ride outside.

V.

traveller_62
01-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Like others my primary motivation for spinn class is to keep in cycling shape in the off season.

I appreciate....

1. an instructor who uses a variety of music and who chooses the music because the beat matches the expected cadence
2. an instructor who creates a structured class...in other words the workout isn't just random spinn stuff--there is a warm up and intervals and breaks and a period of active recovery at the end.
3. an instructor who understands the needs of cyclists and structures spinn classes over time to improve specific aspects of cycling performance
4. an instructor who supports the participants with encouragement and motivation (not a drill sargent type)
5. an instructor who explains the drill at hand and what the benefits of the interval are

It sounded to me, Raindrop, like you are exactly this kind of instructor!

There are some kinds of intervals that I absolutely hate but I know that I need to do them to increase my cycling ability....The worst for me are high cadence out of the saddle speed drills. We did a 4.5 minute 116 rpm out of the saddle drill last week. Ack. Give me a high resistance, low cadence climb any day.

I've asked my instructors for an "All Enya" spinn class tape but so far, no luck.;)

It's hard when you have such a diversity of students whose needs and desires for the class are so different. Any chance you can have more than one kind of class? Spinning for Cyclists and Spinning for General Fitness, for example?

-traveller

Kimred
01-03-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm one of those annoying people who follow a training plan and need to keep my HR in certain zones so I hardly ever follow the instructor I'm usually there for change of scenory, see friends and listen to music. I also train longer than spin classes so I’m there before the class even starts. The instructors know this about me and leave me alone its nothing personal. I will say I cannot STAND it when they talk too much, it's incredibly annoying.

Most of the instructors make a point of telling everyone that the class is just a guideline, do what your body says and if it feels like too much or to little adjust it because everyone in the class will be at different levels. I also think instructors do not emphasize enough about Heart Rate zones. It's an incredible tool to improve your fitness and also not to waste your time doing junk workouts.

Dogmama
01-04-2006, 10:56 AM
I will say I cannot STAND it when they talk too much, it's incredibly annoying.

Agree 100%. I use spin classes as an adjunct to meditation - I "close in on myself" and envision good pedal stroking, staying light on the handlebars by using glutes, etc. I also don't always follow the instructor - I see no need to do a standing climb at a cadence of over 100 because I'll never do that on my road bike.

Music is key. It needs to have a beat that can accompany a pedal stroke. I can't ride "off beat".

traveller_62
01-04-2006, 01:24 PM
I see no need to do a standing climb at a cadence of over 100 because I'll never do that on my road bike.

To me this is the beauty of the spinn bike workout because I work on things to improve my cycling fitness that I could never do safely on my road bike like high cadence drills, leg isolations, and jumps.

The other great thing about spinn class is that the person next to me doesn't have to do any of these drills and yet we can still be in the same class and each get something out of it and enjoy the comradarie!

-traveller

bcipam
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Bummer - its the new year. Got up for my regular 5:45am class, got to the gym at 5:30 and every bike, including the instructor's, was already taken. I hate New Year's Resolutions! Guess I just can't roll out of bed and go to class. Hopefully in a couple of week the fevor will die down.

han-grrl
01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey There

I have been teaching spin classes for several years as well. I think if you are going to teach in a gym like setting, you are going to have to balance "fun" stuff with saddle changes, and "real life" bike stuff, like long seated flats and hills.

The cyclists want to be trained for riding, but your average exerciser wants to have fun too.

What i do to balance the two is offer options, always options, options to remain standing for longer, or stay seated, or to try a different heart rate zone. Music, lighting and mood helps.

Personally i think instructors should be less wordy, and get to the point. I was listening to one instructor where i work, and all i could think is "shut up already!" She just kept going on and on it seemed in her explanations. So if it means to sit down before class and think of what you need to say (for example the list of safety issues, laces tucked in, knobs tighetened, water location, braking etc). Same thing for class objectives. if you are teaching an endurance class, and need to explain why, short explanations - builds aerobic base, your foundation for the rest of your training period. as you go through the class, you can add in some (short) physiology "you are increasing the capillaries in your legs, so next time you do this, it will feel easier" etc.

speaking of wordy...i have been that lots today...so i'm outty!

Cheers

Hannah

bcipam
01-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Speaking of "wordy" nothing drives me up a wall more than an instructor that is constantly chattering through the ride - "GO! GO! GO!, feel the burn, WHoo-Hoo!" Instruction is OK but let the music motivate. Also again instructors, your music shouldn't be soooo loud you have to shout to be heard!

anne_77
01-05-2006, 12:21 PM
What I like:

Low/Dark Lighting
Good ventilation
Good music (especially when there's a theme like motown, christmas, a particular band) (I hate techno though)
Music that isn't too loud
An instructor that isn't too loud (hey, this is supposed to be fun, not give me a headache!)
Options (like speeding up, standing)
An instructor who doesn't expect everyone to be on the same page (some instructors give you a hard time when you tune them out)
Not too much time spent on high resistance (I personally like to spin out after doing really heavy resistance but some instructors don't give me enough recovery time)

Pet peeve: I only went to one of her classes, but this one instructor tried to motivate us to spin faster by saying "think of something that you're always in a hurry to finish". I'm in grad school, stressed to the max, and couldn't take it. I had to leave. I don't go to spin class to be reminded of all the things that stress me out - I go to forget about them.

Unless people stop coming, just keeping doing what you're doing. You can never please everyone.

latelatebloomer
01-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Oh yeah! I left out how important it is that the instuctor know how to use a microphone! So important, so rare! I HATE mic'ed shouting and whooping!:mad:

bcipam
01-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Me too! so annoying!!!!! :mad:

Dogmama
01-05-2006, 03:42 PM
"Don't stop now" - my brain registers "stop now." Better = "You CAN do it"

Instructors who say "five more minutes." I never knew five minutes was so long. Even if we're doing a move I like.

"1/4 turn" - every bike is different. I want to know - how many increases in tension I'm going to do so that I can pace myself depending on my goal for that session. So, if you're going to have 10 increases, say "turn number 4" or whatever.

Raindrop
01-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I appreciate all the replies to this post.

Han-grrl, glad to hear from you. I've read your posts before and admire and respect your opinions.

Irelan (sp?) - I agree soooo much about the weird additions to spinning classes like popcorn jumps etc. I know way too many instructors that have been certified by well-known and valid organizations and I KNOW that the moves they use are not condoned by their certifications. It may be that they get nervous that they don't have enough "moves" in their profile. I think this is something that instructors use when they aren't active "cyclists".

Alpinerabbbit- as far as getting rid of the posers in my classes, that's not feasible or even wanted. Haven't you ever participated in something that you're not adept at, but you want to be accepted at being accomplished at? That's where some of these people are...and it's not a bad thing. It's sometimes sort of a sad thing, but nothing that people should be thrown out of class for.

Traveller- All I can say is that any profile built around one artist (Enya) doesn't fly for the general population. You will never find a class that agrees 100% on ANYTHING!

Dogmomma - As far as the 1/4 turn deal goes...I agree with you. I've taught on many different indoor bikes and even if they're from the same manufacturer, they are not the same. I like to cue something akin to, "Add enough resistance to find the hill that's moderatley hard, but not enough to get off and walk", or "your cadence should be in your "comfortably uncomfortable" area, with enough resistance to keep your hips "quiet" (not bouncing) in the saddle.

I find that queing is the most difficult part of my job. Cyclists understand it when you ask them to add enough resistance to face the unrelenting headwind that is able to make your life miserable for the next five minutes. Non-cyclists need a cue like, " you should feel the pushpoint of your pedal around 4:00 o'clock, and your breathing should be heavy but not breathless. Your heartrate is around 75%, and your perceived exhertion...moderatley hard".

(Maybe this is where cyclists lose patience, since instructors have to go into more detail to describe where the members should be working?):confused:

And no...I am perfectly fine with members using my class for their own workout...as long as they don't do anything contradictory to my training. After all, if they get hurt, for any reason, I'm the one that has to accept the liablility. So...more than once, I've stopped members from doing "odd" and contradictory moves, (i.e. No handed, one legged- cycling!...yes, I've actually had a guy try that in my class!).:eek:

TrekJeni
01-06-2006, 10:47 PM
My most favorite spinning class was two weeks ago. The instuctors name was God. Pretty cool guy actually. Not as hard as my regualr spin class but the scenery was great. My friend and I were overlooking the ocean. Well I guess I shouldn't say overlooking, I should say IN THE MIDDLE of the ocean sailing to San Juan, St Thomas, and St Marten on the Carnival Triumph! As the ship would rock the pedaling got harder and easier!

How many of you spin at your gym and they have like 15 instructors? They all seem to bad mouth the other's. And get this, NONE of these people wear shoes. I thought that was weird. Everyone asked me where I got my spinning shoes and I'm like "uh, at the bike shop". The instructors don't even wear them. Weird.

Trek420
01-07-2006, 10:27 AM
pretty much what anne_77 sez:

Low/Dark Lighting
Air
Good music not too loud
An instructor that isn't too loud or tries too hard to be funny or cheery.
My favorite spin instructor left. Her philosophy is "same in spin as on a bike". Form, fit, hill climbing, it all built cycling skills. She taught me what little I know about HRM, that is what I didn't learn here. Best of all she told people to "get outside and ride". Current crop of instructors are ok, but none as good as her.

"Pet peeve:...one instructor tried to motivate us to spin faster by saying "think of something that you're always in a hurry to finish".... I don't go to spin class to be reminded of all the things that stress me out - I go to forget about them."

Right, above and aformentioned spin intructor was fond of saying "this is your time to relaxe and do something for yourself". Just like a ride, except indoors, going nowhere, with posers ;-)

What I want in a spin class is it should make me feel like I'm gonna die, should be very spent after. I like it when i can barely walk out.

han-grrl
01-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey All

ah yes all those contraindications to spinning...there are so many...for example:

hand position 3 is to be used in standing position only, but i see a lot of people use it seated

those popcorn jumps, man even THINKING about it hurts my knees

hovering, trying to not move the upper body while spinning...also hurts knees

and telling people how much of their resistance knob to turn (ok, somehow that sounds dirty to me hahaha), as someone said, each bike IS different. and one of the Master Spin instructors said you tell people increase/decrease resistance. As for how to gauge intensity...you can use HR, and combine HR with resistance and cadence. the addition of cadence really helps, because obviously you can only push through hard through certain resistances or HR will go through the roof (well you might want that).

Cheers!

Hannah

Asphaltgirl
01-09-2006, 09:17 AM
had absolutely the worse (for me, anyway) instructor, the other night. she was the yoga instructor at the gym and it was just soooo wrong! the music was New Age and would have put anyone to sleep. I want pounding, loud music with a beat of some type to keep cadence to. she kept reminding us to breath deeply (like I wasn't???) and to "see" that goal that was only "our goal" and to aim for it. I don't think my HR moved out of sleep mode! What was scarey, was that everyone else thought she was wonderful! Give me a MTB/roadbiker instructor any day. Thankfully there are 2 other instructors that fit my expectations of the spinning class and I'll "ride" with them. every instructor is different and you just need to find the right fit for your ride. but no more yoga on the bike for me! <<zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz>>
~~AG~~

Crankin
01-15-2006, 07:54 AM
I appreciate an instructor just like you. This issue seems to be coming to a head at my club. They recently made the cycling instructors take a workshop on "Power Spinnning." This may not be the correct name, but a few did refuse to do the training. Why? It is a pre-packaged format, similar to Body Pump. Canned music that the instructor does not get to choose. All of our classes will not be in this format, but enough to make me have to limit which classes to go to, when my time is already limited. I am pretty upset over this. I am a cyclist who used to be an aerobics instructor (ten years). I understand the attraction of new formats, but a considerable amount of the people in spin class use it as a way to stay fit in the off season and work on certain cycling specific skills. I will never race; I'm a recreational cyclist. That said, maybe clubs should have 2 types of classes geared to the two different types of people who take them. I don't want to stand up in "position 2' and do high cadence running drills. It hurts my knees and back and it's not something i would ever do outside. Yes, it might improve my strength, but it just seems like something that would have been called "contra indicated" when I was teaching. I don't want to spin at a low resistance at a high cadence. Some of the people i see do this so much, they never use the resistance on their bike. Yet, they think they're tough because they are spinning at some crazy high cadence. Give me a nice mix of popular music, oldies, alternative rock and no disco or techno. I hate the lights being dim or being in the total dark. I can't see my heart rate monitor enough to press the light button and I end up pressing some other function button and messing up the settings. Who would ride their bike in the dark (without a good light)?

I know this is a rant, and being in class is not being outside, but I don't want all the silly, goofy stuff. I cringe when I hear people in class saying they "would NEVER ride on the road."

bcipam
01-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Wow I hope that "Power Spinning" or whatever doesn't take over the gyms - I think I would hate it. :( I so dislike canned music. :mad: My favorite instructors have all made their own great tapes.

Thankfully I have never felt compelled to always follow the instructor. SOme dont understand cycling like I do. I won't do anything that risks injury (such as "piston jogs" which are real knee busters). I'm in class to build up my aerobics and fitness - I could care less about being able to do every spin, jump, jog the instructor can do. I know on the road, I can blow him/her away. OK I do have some instructors I know for a fact are cyclists and can truly blow me away! I love those classes!

TempoSlave
01-19-2006, 07:48 AM
I only spin during the winter to maintain fitness (I've done some mtb racing but no longer). I have a spinner bike at home and ride it once or twice a week but like to go to classes for the extra intensity and to break up the routine.

I only ask ONE thing from my instructors (well, I ask for great music too, but that is too subjective to expect satisfaction) and that is to have the music dictate the cadence. Nothing sends me off on my own private ride faster than to have the instructor superimpose some lesson on random songs. I realize that there are times you can't do this (e.g. sprinting) but to me, a class where the instructor knows her tunes and their cadences, how long the songs are and shares this with the class, is the class I enjoy most.

I believe in your periodization concept and back when I raced I spent a lot of time with Paul Skilbeck's book "Single-Track Mind" and the more recent "Performance Cycling" by Dave Morris, both of which I recommend highly, but realize that until people get up to at *least* 8 hours/week of *serious* training that they won't really benefit from the program as compared to the general all-around class that would best serve your beginners. Not that you can't do both if you're careful... I always appreciate it when the instructor gives the class options.

TS

SadieKate
01-19-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't want to spin at a low resistance at a high cadence. Robin, I know nothing at all about spinning classes. I use Spinervals DVDs at home. So, educate me. Why don't you want to do superspins? I find that used in interval training you'll learn high cadence and a smooth pedalling motion. Getting your cadence up over 120 or btter will reveal jerky pedalling pretty quickly. What is it you object to? Just curious.

alpinerabbit
01-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Why don't you want to do superspins? I find that used in interval training you'll learn high cadence and a smooth pedalling motion. Getting your cadence up over 120 or btter will reveal jerky pedalling pretty quickly. What is it you object to? Just curious.

Coming back from an extremely frustrating class - the woman had mostly cadences of like 150, and I do not go there to chafe off my anatomy.
Not a single one could keep up her cadence so it was really stupid. Even she was basically bouncing off her saddle !?!

And besides the occasional "up", "forward" "back down" "harder" "3 minutes of cool-down" she said almost nothing.

We were guessing that she is getting paid for her private training sessions.

bcipam
01-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Robin, I know nothing at all about spinning classes. I use Spinervals DVDs at home. So, educate me. Why don't you want to do superspins? I find that used in interval training you'll learn high cadence and a smooth pedalling motion. Getting your cadence up over 120 or btter will reveal jerky pedalling pretty quickly. What is it you object to? Just curious.

I don't mind periods of time in class where cadence is high but I always spin with resistance. I don't think there is anything to spinning fast with low resistance. I wouldn't ride my bike like that and wonder what physical benefit it is suppose to provide. I have attended classes where the instructor is spinning up above 120 rpms and literally bouncing off the saddle. I agree, the only thing this provides is chafing!

Don't mind drills where the instructor pushes 80 - 90 rpms up to 100 - 120 (always with some resistance) for short periods of time as that stimulates sprinting and can push up the heart rate but shouldn't last more than 30 seconds to a minute. If I need to sprint for more than a minute while riding my bike, well then I screwed up and jumped the gun too soon.

The secret to smoothing out pedal stroke (and I do need to work on this) is long sustained, fast paced (around 90 rpms) rides where you concentrate on a round, smooth stroke. My form tends to break down when I go over 90 rpms.

SadieKate
01-19-2006, 10:23 AM
30 secs - that's all a superspin is. Learning to produce short bursts of speed with a fast stroke is beneficial. If you're bouncing off the saddle, you need to slow the cadence, practice a smooth stroke until you can get your cadence up fairly high for a short period of time. You don't have to hit the same high as anyone else but a superspin will show you where your stroke breaks down. Everyone has an optimum cadence for their body, but 90 is slow in some people's book.

If a class is "mostly cadences of like 150" the instructor needs some instruction.

Adventure Girl
01-19-2006, 12:06 PM
150 is pretty high for anything more than short bursts! Do your spin bikes have cadence meters? Or are you estimating? The spin bikes I have used have never had them.

When I ride my trainer at home with Spinervals I watch my cadence meter and heart rate meter. One drill I like is 30 seconds on / 30 seconds off. The 30 seconds on is broken down in 3 segments of 10 seconds. First 10 seconds at 80%. Second 10 seconds at 90%. And last 10 seconds ALL OUT 100%. Then rest for 30 seconds. When you know you only have to REALLY crank it for 10 seconds you see how fast you can superspin!

Veronica
01-19-2006, 07:36 PM
One drill I like is 30 seconds on / 30 seconds off. The 30 seconds on is broken down in 3 segments of 10 seconds. First 10 seconds at 80%. Second 10 seconds at 90%. And last 10 seconds ALL OUT 100%. Then rest for 30 seconds. When you know you only have to REALLY crank it for 10 seconds you see how fast you can superspin!

yep - I like that drill too. I also like the alternating sitting and standing every ten seconds. I never liked it on a spin bike, but on my road bike in the trainer, it feels more natural.

V.

Crankin
01-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Super spinning at a really high cadence on an indoor bike just hurts the hell out of my knees. Most people (i.e. the average exerciser) is just bouncing all over the place! It's hard to explain what this looks like, but it just doesn't feel good!

Veronica
01-20-2006, 04:17 AM
Super spinning at a really high cadence on an indoor bike just hurts the hell out of my knees. Most people (i.e. the average exerciser) is just bouncing all over the place! It's hard to explain what this looks like, but it just doesn't feel good!

Actually - I've seen it when at Spin classes. It's poor technique - usually from non cyclists.

That's one thing I like about Coach Troy in Spinervals, he comments on what your form should look like. He tells you what your cadence should be, what heart rate zone you should be in. With monitoring all that, I am seeing positive results in my training.

Being able to do a controlled high cadence spin - around 120 RPMs, means you have a good smooth stroke. With what I'm planning, I want to be as efficient as possible.

Our bodies all have their own quirks. I'm very aware of what bothers my knees. For me it's low cadence, high resistance. I still do those sets, but I if get the slightest twinge, the resistance gets backed off. By doing as much as I can, I find I'm able to do more than before.

V.

Crankin
01-20-2006, 06:39 AM
I have been in classes with instructors who are cyclists where higher cadence drills are fine... they last for a very short time! Usually, the instructors are male for some reason. I just think that spinning at 150 with no resistance for even 2 or 3 minutes is not going to do anything but leave you open for injury. Most of the people who do this at the gym NEVER put any resistance on their bikes.
I don't do a specific training program, because I am trying to keep it fun. Yes, I do intervals at times, but when I am outside I just ride. Otherwise, it becomes a job.

Duck on Wheels
01-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Okay, I've only been to four classes with three instructors, but now I do really get what folks are talking about on this thread, and I do know what I like in a class/instructor.
1) varied classes. My now favourite instructor tells us right up front what our goals are for the day and the kind of ride we'll be doing. It varies from day to day, week to week.
2) instruction! She doesn't just say "up" "down" "plus" and so on, but watches all of us -- newbies and experienced alike -- and gives tips on feet, seat, elbows, back, encouragement when we're doing fine, and explains why when she has the time ... and kids around so we're all in a good mood! And she reminds us newbies and old folks to follow our own pace.
3) varied music. Maybe some of you are single genre music lovers, but I'm an omnivore. I can deal with one cut of techno if we get something with more complex rhythms later on. I don't mind country. I love r&b. This instructor puts in the odd moment of classic, Irish jigs, and stuff with "joke" effects like a sigh just when we're "over a hill".

So no wonder her classes are packed with ... all kinds! racers in full pro gear, old folks, fat folks, skinny folks, folks with new years resolutions, folks with long term goals, moms and their grown daughters. And no wonder the whole crowd is supportive and fun to be with.

VenusdeVelo
01-21-2006, 03:43 AM
:D

I am not sure there is much to add with all that's been said but this really helps to re-read opinions as a Spinning instructor to see what works for people and what doesn't. I am happy to say I also agree with everyone's pet peeves -- music too loud, instructor who rambles, berates, etc., popcorn jumps, hovering (that's the worst)...it seems like common sense in so many cases for me, can't understand how a trained :confused: instructor can continue this wekk in/week out.

One thing that made me think though was Irulan's comments about being a mtn biker and the visualization. I have been a roadie for a long time, relapsed on the mtbiking and just got back into it again, feeling the challenge of some great technical single-track lately. And I think you made me think Irulan about trying to incorporate some single track visualization into some routines...I find I can incorporate mtbiking into climbs, but the single-track would be interesting to work in. I need to think about it on my next single-track ride....and then just trying it maybe on a song or 2 and see how it's received. I've had some classes where I know there are mtn bikers in there so they'd be a good testing ground. I am thinking possibly some quick and rapid gear changes (ah! sand! or deeper mud)...hmmmm, need to think about it. Pass on any ideas, would love to hear them

Tree in the road? I agree (wtf????!!! :eek:)

CR400
01-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Wow, I think everyone summed up what I think a spin class should be. I do however like to do super spins and high cadance work every now and then. I feel so slow riding next to some people because they seem to be flying. But when I take my resistance back down to moderate they are toast. Never really thought that some of those people are using only no or up to three turns. Until the instructor told people to go down to the tensions I use to keep my heart rate up and suddenly most could barely pedal.

Duck on Wheels
01-21-2006, 08:13 PM
[QUOTE=Kimred]I'm one of those annoying people who follow a training plan and need to keep my HR in certain zones so I hardly ever follow the instructor I'm usually there for change of scenory, see friends and listen to music. I also train longer than spin classes so I’m there before the class even starts. The instructors know this about me and leave me alone its nothing personal. I will say I cannot STAND it when they talk too much, it's incredibly annoying.

I can see why you would find a "talkative" instructor annoying since you're there to follow your own program, but for us "newbies" it's necessary, and some of the "oldies" like it too I gather. So here's a suggestion: Bring your own music (mp3 player on your arm) and a noise-blocking headset. That's what I do on planes. It works.

Raindrop
01-25-2006, 08:00 PM
You know, as an instructor, I don't mind anyone in my class doing their own ride (as long as they don't disrupt the class with no-handed cycling, popcorn jumps, or anything else that is totally contradictive), but I will tell any member that attends my class with their own music and earbuds that they need to leave. Why? Because I teach a "group fitness" class, and as such, I do expect the participants to listen to my safety cues, and at least the class profile...otherwise, it turns into a room full of individuals that are doing their own thing, and while that's not a bad thing in an aerobics area, it doesn't really fly in a class situation. This is why facilities have "group fitness classes" and also have an aerobics area.

My .02 only.

bcipam
01-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I agree - it is a group thing and is why I like spin classes - there can be (and is with my friends) a certain competitiveness involved.

If I do my own thing its usually instead of doing the popcorns and jumps, I sit and spin. I never use my iPod during class, except for one time... unfortunate combination forced me to. The instructor's music really suck, was incredibly loud and a group nearby were talking over the loud music. I needed to go to my own "happy place". I did however continue to do what the class was doing.

Jen
02-08-2006, 03:38 AM
I love spinning but only certain class. I like classes that do interval work. I like the class to replicate a real ride, such as hill, mountains, tt, sprints, lots of variety, in and out of the saddle so I get to move around. Bought a real bike because I loved spinning so much, I felt I should take it to a higher level.

Jen
02-08-2006, 03:41 AM
I don't mind periods of time in class where cadence is high but I always spin with resistance. I don't think there is anything to spinning fast with low resistance. I wouldn't ride my bike like that and wonder what physical benefit it is suppose to provide. I have attended classes where the instructor is spinning up above 120 rpms and literally bouncing off the saddle. I agree, the only thing this provides is chafing!

Don't mind drills where the instructor pushes 80 - 90 rpms up to 100 - 120 (always with some resistance) for short periods of time as that stimulates sprinting and can push up the heart rate but shouldn't last more than 30 seconds to a minute. If I need to sprint for more than a minute while riding my bike, well then I screwed up and jumped the gun too soon.

The secret to smoothing out pedal stroke (and I do need to work on this) is long sustained, fast paced (around 90 rpms) rides where you concentrate on a round, smooth stroke. My form tends to break down when I go over 90 rpms.

I always tell the class when we sprint, " no resistance, no results" If you want to define your legs, you have to use resistance.

jackierose24
03-02-2006, 05:57 AM
Being a beginer spinner, but not new to working out, i know exaclty what I want from a class. I want alot of hills, and jumps, and sprints I want to feel my muscles working and feel the burn. I love ahrd classes I love feeling like I can finish and then being so happy when its done. I want ever aspect mixed in, so I feel like I got a well rounded workout. I personally like being out of the saddle, and being challenged by hills. I dont compete or use this as my off season training, I dont ride outside but I want to start getting into it this spring, so for me spinning become my new addiction. Hopefully I have helped you.