PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas!

Barb
12-29-2005, 07:43 AM
The BF moved in a week before Christmas. He doesn't like chicken and my son doesn't like fish (or anything with pickles or tomato sause). BF eats once a day (no matter how much I lecture) and that means he needs a big ole dinner. He has been known to eat a small roast on his own!!! He works outdoors and is very lean and muscular (not bad for 49!):p . I on the other hand am soft and round! We both cook but I am running out of ideas. We all eat veggies and there are no diatary constraints (not even lactose anymore!). Post some yummy dinner recipes!!!

Selkie
12-29-2005, 07:54 AM
Here's one I made up on my own, it's quick and easy---

2 cans black beans, drained
1 jar Salsa
1 small can tomato paste

Mix together and heat. Add prepared brown rice, top with shredded cheese.

I've also done a variation on this one using a big can of Bushes veggie baked beans. Heat it up, add prepared rice and top w/shredded cheese.

bikerchick68
12-29-2005, 02:32 PM
allrecipes.com

this is a GREAT source for recipes... has everything under the sun plus some! I love the corck pot recipes myself... dinner is ready when I get home! :)

Barb
12-30-2005, 05:58 AM
I love the crock pot! I got a book for it, but most of the recipes are the same! Hunk o meat, can of either tomatoes or cr. mushroom soup....that gets a lil dull!

Dogmama
12-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Two recommendations:

1. Lost Recipes by Marion Cunningham.

2. Anything "Moosewood." This is all vegetarian stuff, but really good.

All Recipes is good because it is free. You need to really look at some of those recipes though because sometimes they leave out important ingredients or put "TB" for "t" (big difference with crushed red pepper!).

margo49
12-31-2005, 10:39 AM
I agree Moosewood is brilliant

I would also say get a bread machine. Nothing like homemade bread!:D

nuthatch
01-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Epicurious.com is a fun recipe website too. Lots of good comments from those who have tried the recipes before.

Dogmama
01-01-2006, 05:44 AM
I would also say get a bread machine. Nothing like homemade bread!:D

Absolutely!! I just bought a Cuisinart convection bread machine and it is SO much better than the regular machines. Beautiful even crusts and a loaf size that you can work with. I rarely buy store bought bread.

Additionally, you can make gluten free bread (lots of recipes) low carb bread and jams in the machine.

Barb
01-01-2006, 04:44 PM
yum! I love bread! The vegitarian stuff is out. If there is no meat in a meal, the bf will eat and whine all night long! No fun. I did try a turkey cord en bleu from all recipes. It was wonderful! I am using my gift certs from the book store to buy American Heart Associations new book, it looks great.

Nanci
01-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Barb,

I've had pretty good luck cutting my calories while keeping the beef-eater happy by doing a lot of grilling. I substitute turkey burgers for hamburgers, turkey filet for filet mignon, have two chicken burger patties instead of one with a bun, things like that. Tyson chicken breast frozen pieces (all flat, perfect for sandwiches) are only like 110 calories each, and they're huge! (I'll eat one of those with veggies, while BF will have one, on a bun, with cheese, with Tater Tots- huge savings in calories for me while cooking basically the same dinner.) Then I make Tater Tots or whatever in the toaster oven, and have microwaved veggies myself. Grilling is nice because you can cater to everyone without too much trouble. Salmon in foil with limes is great on the grill. I bought this metal wok-like thing, only with holes all over it, for grilling veggies like yellow squash. My whole grill wasn't even that expensive- it's just one of those Webber-Q baby grill things, under $200, with a little stand and a cover. Takes up no room. A tank of propane lasts more than all summer, even if you leave it on all one night...Plus it's so relaxing to sit out on my teeny patio with a glass of wine and unwind in the evening. I love it.

I bet your BF would love this: Oven Roasted Potatoes- 13X9 pan, spray with Pam, (veg oil spray) cut up 4 large potatoes, any kind, toss with one pack Lipton Onion Soup mix, dry, with enough olive oil to make it stick, but not the 1/3 cup it calls for, unless you don't care. Bake at ???425??? for 35 minutes. (Better check the back of the box for correct temp!) I budget for these by eating a light lunch and making a very low calorie meat choice. They are heavenly.

Nanci

bikerz
01-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm a big fan of Indian food - we probably cook an Indian dinner once a week or so - there are some great and easy meat recipes for your BF, lots of chicken, of course, but with all the spicing, it 's not so boring. I like to replace the ground lamb with ground turkey - still very tasty and not so rich. And you get a complete protein with the dals and rice. And there are lots of great vegetable dishes.

A great starter recipe book is Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764156497/qid=1136229208/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0396900-1591202?n=507846&s=books&v=glance) I've cooked almost everything in that book and it's all been delicious. Most people think Indian food is complicated and always "hot" - not so - mostly it's question of getting the few spices not readily available at a Safeway (I go to an Indian market once every couple of months for that stuff) and everything else is basic and easy to find. And it makes great leftovers!

Dogmama
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
OK, not to rain on anybody's parade but,

Red meat and colon cancer have been linked. Anything that is grilled develops carcinogens. Hot dogs & lunch meat have nitrates - known carcinogens (unless you get non-cured meats). My husband used to be a "once a day feeder and make it meat" until he had major colon cancer surgery 2 years ago. We are now practically vegetarians - we have very occasional fish (mercury) or chicken (hormones/antibiotics unless you get organic, which we do.) No more red meat in this house and nothing is grilled. Boca burgers and Boca crumbles are great alternatives. You can buy skillets that have raised ridges, so you can have the cross hatched grill effect.