PDA

View Full Version : cold weather clothes?

notsportygirl
12-28-2005, 08:39 AM
I've been missing riding this winter, so I'm thinking of trying to brave the cold weather here in NYC (actually, it's been milder than usual, so I don't think it's too crazy). I'm wondering what combination of cold weather clothes people find work best for them. I tend to warm up and overheat kind of quickly. Any suggestions? Is there anything people do to protect their face from the wind other than slathering it with vaseline? Thanks.

Aint Doody
12-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Easy--layer, wear booties, wool socks, good gloves, and ear protectors. Also try "Toastie Toes" which adhere to your socks.

Dogmama
12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
PM Denise Goldberg at http://forums.teamestrogen.com/member.php?u=513. She cycles through incredibly cold weather.

DeniseGoldberg
12-28-2005, 03:09 PM
PM Denise Goldberg at http://forums.teamestrogen.com/member.php?u=513. She cycles through incredibly cold weather.

Wow Dogmama - I thought I was being a baby! It's newfsmith who commutes to work year-round, and she lives in the Boston area too!

Seriously though, I do try to ride year-round, but my cold weather rides are usually limited to an hour or two. I'm ok into the 30s. I think I might be able to wander down to the mid-20s, but I haven't had to try it yet this year.

The key for me is definitely layers, as Aint Doody said above. I too use extra heat for my feet; the brand I've been happy with so far is Heat Treat toe warmers. I get them from REI. I love the name of the warmers Aint Doody says she uses - but I have a bit of a stock of Heat Treats because they are cheaper if you buy 10 or more at once. (I've been buying 10 or more at a time easily since one of the guys I work with cycles through the winter too, and we split the warmers and the cost...).

I use my regular cycling shoes, thin socks (because that's all that fits in my shoes), PI AmFib shoe covers, and a Heat Treat warmer on each foot. My regular cycling shorts covered by either PI AmFib tights or by REI Polartec Powerstretch tights. Lots of layers on top. Temperature dependent, but I usually start with an REI MTS mid-weight sleeveless long underwear shirt, covered by a Patagonia R.5 shirt, a Patagonia R1 shirt, and a windbreaker. If it's really cold I also add a fleece vest and/or a neck warmer. And unbelieveably enough, yes, I can still move! On my hands, I wear either PI winter gloves or Lobster mits. I wear ear bags (http://www.earbags.com) on my ears, and a Pearl Izumi skull cap under my helmet.

Wow, that sounds like a lot of clothing! But it does work, and I'm happier if I can get out on my bike for even a little while.

It's more than possible that you have enough layers of clothing that will work for you without buying something special - other than things like shoe covers...

Oh, and I don't put anything special on my face - just my normal moisturizer.

Have fun, and keep us posted on your cold weather rides!

--- Denise

SpinSis
01-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your thorough description, Denise. I "hung up" my bike in November, thinking that was what all Northeastern cyclists did....but then I've noticed some gals and guys heading off to Newton through Brookline for rides, or riding out in my bf's area (Bedford), and the itch to be on the bike is back! I'm still a little intimidated by road safety (with all that extra dirt/sand), and even though I grew up cross country skiing, I'm struggling to wrap my head abour "cold weather bike gear". Your message was perfect!

I've got shoe covers and cold weather jackets on some website wish lists, waiting to move into my shopping cart. Now I'll add the toe thingies you mentioned. Does anyone out there use a balaclava, or am I better with the skullcap and earwarmers? I also welcome any recommendations or links to other threads on bike maintenance and riding in the winter.

I guess I'll dust off the bike now, rather than in March!
S

DeniseGoldberg
01-09-2006, 11:58 AM
...I'm still a little intimidated by road safety (with all that extra dirt/sand...

Does anyone out there use a balaclava, or am I better with the skullcap and earwarmers?

I think it's probably better to be intimidated by the extra sand & salt on the road than not. I am much more careful about picking the "clean" roads when I'm out this time of year.

A guy I work with rides year round too, and he prefers a balaclava to my choice of ear bags + skull cap. At that level, I think it comes down to personal preference, based on comfort and on which pieces you own!

Oh, and you're in the Boston area. Did you see the Party for the girls thread under Northeast? Some of us are getting together on January 28th at Naked Fish in Framingham - as a farewell for Spazz before she moves to the west coast. Add a note there if you're interested in joining us.

--- Denise

CorsairMac
01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
OK - I'm the "wussy" winter bike commuter since it doesn't get as cold here but I wear a polypro balaclava whenever the temps dip below 40. I'm asthmatic and as long as I can breathe warmed air I seem to do ok. I've noticed that the balaclava helps keep my cheeks from getting chapped to! I just have to remember to pull my glasses away from my face slightly when I stop so they don't fog up!

This mornings commute: 31 with a windchill of 20
Polypro Balaclava, Headband, Helmet
REI LongUnderwear, UnderArmour, LS Jersey, REI Cycling Jacket
Polypro glove liners, PE Lobster Claws
Fleece-lined leg warmers, shorts, overtights, REI rain pants
Smart Wool Socks, SealSkinz Socks, Neoprene Shoe Covers

Now I'll be the first to say I hate the cold and hate being cold and my commute is 6 miles downhill so I don't get much of a chance to really get warm before I get to work so I probably tend to wear more clothes than some of the rest of you.

DeniseGoldberg
01-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Oh, and something else I discovered in the last couple of weeks when my bike insisted on riding even though it was only 25 degrees (Fahrenheit).... I've started to wear my knee warmers in addition to shorts and powerstretch tights. Having that extra layer on my knees works really well.

--- Denise

nuthatch
01-09-2006, 04:25 PM
I finally got some neoprene shoe covers and, boy, do they make a difference! I also use a balaclava with the nose thingy that has a cutout on the bottom (fer snot wipin') and a mesh area at the mouth. That has really helped me with not feeling smothered by the balaclava when I'm working hard.

The problem is breathability. I'm getting pretty sweaty if I add a windbreaker but it's just too cold to do without it. Mine's just a Canari windbreaker - are those fancy soft shell wind jackets (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47921887&parent_category_rn=4500843&vcat=REI_SEARCH) better for this? Do you guys find yourselves constantly unzipping and rezipping? I know I've complained about this here before but it's been a whole year, so I thought I'd bring it up again.

Corsair, it must have taken you 45 minutes to disrobe when you got to work! Denise, I like the knee warmer idea!

Eden
01-09-2006, 04:53 PM
The problem is breathability. I'm getting pretty sweaty if I add a windbreaker but it's just too cold to do without it. Mine's just a Canari windbreaker - are those fancy soft shell wind jackets (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47921887&parent_category_rn=4500843&vcat=REI_SEARCH) better for this? Do you guys find yourselves constantly unzipping and rezipping? I know I've complained about this here before but it's been a whole year, so I thought I'd bring it up again.

Well, it rarely ever gets as cold as some of the days you guys have to face around here, but I find that I really love my softshell jacket for cold and especially for wet weather. I still get a little sweaty, but nothing like with a windbreaker or rain jacket and I hardly get wet at all when it rains - just on the arms where the more breathable material comes around to the tops and the cuffs. I've got the REI brand softshell cycling jacket. The coldest its been around here this year was in the lower 30's and I was fine and cozy wearing a long sleeve base layer, short sleeve jersey and jacket on top.

CorsairMac
01-10-2006, 10:27 AM
http://www.rei.com/product/47942637.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CYCLING_TOC

this is the one I wear and no I don't seem to spend any time unzipping it! LOL It has vents in the upper back which is nice under a backpack plus it has a zippered back pocket that you can open as a vent, and then of course the front pockets and even the zip-off sleeves can by unzipped partway to vent. I just wear less Under the jacket and then on the rare occasion (like climbing) I just unzip the front partway. oh.....it also has a 2-way zipper.

and yes - it takes me truly 10-15 minutes to change clothes in the morning once I get to work - which is why I don't do any lunchtime riding in the winter! LOL :rolleyes:

DeniseGoldberg
01-10-2006, 10:46 AM
I have the women's version (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47828997&parent_category_rn=4500936) (in yellow, of course!) of the jacket that Corsair linked too, and I've also been very happy with it.

nuthatch
01-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks, guys - I'm going to keep my eye on it to see if it goes on sale. I guess the key is zippers!

CorsairMac
01-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks, guys - I'm going to keep my eye on it to see if it goes on sale. I guess the key is zippers!

It's also IllumiNITE which is an added, awesome bonus and well worth the money I spent since I'm a commuter!!

Corsair "lights up like a Christmas Tree now" Mac ;)

MomOnBike
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
You know, I was thinking as I was coming off that hill tonight (Brakes? I know not of what you speak, these brakes. Humph!) that I might need a jacket that is a smidge warmer.

DH & I had the bike path to ourselves tonight, so we bombed home. Fun, but chilly. Maybe I should re-read this thread for ideas.

Saxa82
01-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I agree with the ladies above- you need layers and special clothing. This is the first winter season I've gone out, thanks to my husband who got me into winter riding (he's been doing it for years). You do have to buy a couple items- AmFib tights by Pearl Izumi are the best- expensive but worth it. You only need 1 pr and just wash them, 2 if you ride every day. Also purchase a good tight fitting cycling jacket made for the cold weather. You want it tight because the wind is your biggest enermy out there- loose stuff just flutters and makes it harder to ride. But since you'll be wearing at least one or two layers under the jacket, make sure the jacket is sized right to fit with those other layers. Lots of them out there- I have Sugoi Inverter (can't remember what my DH has). Also essential is neoprene booties and windproof gloves and overmitts. I prefer the Goretex gloves, but any windstopping fabric will probably work. Colder than 40 and I' also wear a goretex overmitt- very thin so as not to compromise on hand movement. The rest you might already have as part of cold weather gear anyway, like a thin balaclava, polypro shirts, cycling shorts, polypro tights, polypro thick socks, etc. A helmet cover is optional. I like it a lot b/c I don't have to put anything else on my head besides the balaclava. Otherwise, you'd have to put on a hood or hat of some sort- really too bulky for most helmets.

I ride my bike with smooth tires on most days. Only use the knobby bike when there is obvious snow or ice on the roads or road margins. One thing you will definitely have to accept is road grit all over you. Be sure to wear glasses regardless or you'll get an eyeful of sand!

Otherwise I am a total winter bike convert! I used to absolutely HATE the thought of riding in the winter and hung up the bike, but now I'm out there whenever it is above freezing (and thank God we've been blessed in NY the last two weeks!!!)

Geonz
01-17-2006, 07:50 AM
I have one pair of heavy duty wick-out-the-water thick warm somethings. WOre them under sweatpants today, stopped to feed my friends' cat and *almost* went back for the car when the weather channel informed me that things had turend to freezing rain (and the metal guard rail down the steps confirmed it). The roads were still warm, though.
My feet got a bit damp and cold (sneakers over socks... they're soaked and leaning against the computer to be dry by the time I leave... as soon as office mate is gone I'll lean dangle the sweats but I don't want to totally gross him out - you can't see 'em once they're dangling behind my desk but it's the process...
Other than that, though, it was fun! I was thinking maybe it *wasn't* really freezing rain until I arrived and looked down at my jacket and it was all crunchy and covered with ice, and my handlebars, too... I figured that I was going to give a 15-mile present to the planet with a half-gallon less of fossil fuel consumption ... but it was a present to me, too. (Okay, and I stepped on the scale... I need to get back under 150... )

And don't be afraid of below freezing! It's not that different. If you went from 50 to 35, you can also go from 35 to 20. Layers, Layers, Layers :-)

nuthatch
01-17-2006, 08:37 AM
(Okay, and I stepped on the scale... I need to get back under 150... )

And don't be afraid of below freezing! It's not that different. If you went from 50 to 35, you can also go from 35 to 20. Layers, Layers, Layers :-)

You've inspired me to ride on Friday, Geonz. That's the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation's Winter Bike to Work Day (http://www.biketraffic.org/). Layers and lots of lights! (I need to get below 150, too. I sure don't want to haul it around this summer! :D )

CorsairMac
01-17-2006, 09:53 AM
WOOOHOOO NUTTIEE!!!!! I'm so excited to hear you're gonna try a winter commute - ya'll gonna have to give me an update!!

Geonz: uggghhh on the freezing rain! It was supposed to snow here yesterday but I decided to ride anyway and it turned out to be a beautiful, sunny day. Ok...Cold and very windy - but beautiful nonetheless!

So here was my morning commute thought of the day:

Wonder how these drivers feel when they see me all bundled up on my bike riding to work, and see me again at the next red light, and see me again at the next red light etc etc and realize THEY aren't getting to work driving in their car any faster than I am riding my bike!

CMac loves these little commuting thoughts of the day - when it's 14 out, sometimes that is ALL that keeps me going! lol

nuthatch
01-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Aww, Corsair, it's just one day! ;)

I'm planning to start back up cycle commuting full time when the sun is above the horizon at 5:15 p.m. I'm just not a night cyclist - I get too scared!!

CorsairMac
01-17-2006, 12:35 PM
Aww, Corsair, it's just one day! ;)

I'm planning to start back up cycle commuting full time when the sun is above the horizon at 5:15 p.m. I'm just not a night cyclist - I get too scared!!

Just checked the weather and todays sunset is 5:19 - so there ya go! :p

(ain't I the helpful one!)

nuthatch
01-17-2006, 12:56 PM
All right, all right!! When there's still enough light that the cars can tell the difference between me and the shoulder of the road - I was thinking mid-February???:p

CorsairMac
01-18-2006, 09:57 AM
hmmm - sunset today is 5:21 :D :cool:

I mean - just in case you needed to know that!

DeniseGoldberg
01-18-2006, 10:25 AM
hmmm - sunset today is 5:21 :D :cool:

You apparently are on the right side of your time zone. Here in the Boston area, sunset today is at 4:40...

I thought this was fun (even though it's really off topic), so... if anyone is interested, you can see sunrise and sunset times for your location at this US Naval Observatory page: http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.html

You can lookup times in the United States by location name, or worldwide by longitude/latitude.

--- Denise

nuthatch
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Sunset is 4:50pm here in the Chicago area. By February 15, it will be 5:25pm. That sounds much better!

"Scared of the dark" Nuthatch:rolleyes:

Sorry, back on topic now....