PDA

View Full Version : Reupholstering my car doors :-)

WindingRoad
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
My car needed a bit of a 'facelift', especially inside. My door material was all saggy and ugly looking so I decided to see if I could do it myself and save a ton of money. What do you think?

jessmarimba
05-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Oooh! Much better than my blue-polka-dot duct tape visor repair :)

DebSP
05-22-2012, 02:44 PM
That looks awesome! What talent!:)

lovelygamer
05-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I think it's outstanding!!!:D

WindingRoad
05-22-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks girls I've been working my butt of on this all day. It's my first shot at it but now that I've got them all done I think I got the hang of it :) I'm still waiting on a part so I can be truly done but it's close, yay!

Catrin
05-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Thanks girls I've been working my butt of on this all day. It's my first shot at it but now that I've got them all done I think I got the hang of it :) I'm still waiting on a part so I can be truly done but it's close, yay!

I think you did an awesome job and it looks great!

malkin
05-23-2012, 04:39 AM
That looks NICE!
What is the fabric?

WindingRoad
06-05-2012, 11:00 AM
It's some nice fleece I found and liked the feel of at JoAnne fabrics. So far so good, no peeling so I'd say the adhesive I used it working fine.

I went back and bought another 2 yards of this material b/c it was half price and so now I'm debating on making some little pillows for the back seat or a small throw? I don't think I have enough material for both.

missjean
06-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Nicely done! It looks professionally done.

chatnoire
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Wow, excellent job! I wouldn't have even had the first clue to start with a project like this!

WindingRoad
06-06-2012, 07:43 PM
I got really crazy today and I used that same fabric and hand sewed a gear shifter cover. I'm digging it :) For some reason I find this kind of stuff fun. One big craft project I guess.

Catrin
06-07-2012, 01:50 AM
I got really crazy today and I used that same fabric and hand sewed a gear shifter cover. I'm digging it :) For some reason I find this kind of stuff fun. One big craft project I guess.

Cool! I need to SEE this :)

WindingRoad
06-19-2012, 07:18 PM
This is the headliner out of my car. It is by far the largest 'custom' project I have ever attempted. I think it came out pretty decent despite some minor bobbles which were fixed with some strategically placed accent fabric and cord ;) Tomorrow I hope to get it back in and put my poor naked car back together. It looks like an empty sardine can right now. :D

WindingRoad
06-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Oh.. here is the gear shifter boot. I forgot to post a pic.

Catrin
06-20-2012, 06:23 AM
I've seen this in person. As nice as this looks in the photo it looks even better up-close and personal. She did a great job with this! Very nice and funky, you can almost feel the texture of the fabric when looking at it :D

jessmarimba
06-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Please more info on how you did the headliner (or how you do it)! If I decide to keep my car I think this will be my next project :)

WindingRoad
06-22-2012, 04:34 AM
Jess I did a LOT of reading online on my specific car about how to take everything apart. Honestly THAT is the hard part. Does your car have a sunroof? Mine does so that was a little tricky. Basically I got everything I needed from JoAnne Fabrics. I bought a material I liked (fleece works easily BTW). You need a fabric with a little stretch to it to make it easier. A good adhesive is crucial. I used 3M Professional Strength spray adhesive. It's basically really high quality spray rubber cement so it also doesn't stink up your car with funky chemical smells which made me VERY happy. :) What kind of car are you working with I may be able to send you some links.

I also did my first stereo install EVER yesterday :) Now I have HD radio and I can use my iPhone, yay, yay and YAY!!!! I can't believe I was going to pay BestBuy $100 to install my stereo! I HIGHLY recommend Crutchfield. They are an online store and they are absolutely wonderful. Great instructions and they give you all the connectors, harnesses and brackets you will need to do it right. They also have online support which is awesome too. Great company.

WindingRoad
07-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I just have to toot my own horn (pun intended) a bit cuz I just get no love on car websites. Must be the guuuuurl thing :rolleyes: So my car is 12 years old and needed some work, unfortunately I'm on a shoelace budget for this kind of stuff so if it was going to get done I'd have to do it myself. I fixed my interior (the doors, side pieces and headliner). I fixed my broken locking mechanism in the drivers side door and replaced a bad mechanical part inside the door. Now my car alarm doesn't randomly go off (definite plus). I changed the serpentine belt and FINALLY fixed my cruise control. I had to remove the steering wheel to fix the cruise so I was a little afraid of the air bag blowing up in my face but I disconnected the battery and I didn't get any surprises. I fixed my hazy headlights by putting on new glass lenses and I replaced the yellowed turn signal markers on the sides with sparkly new ones. I also bought a little nose cover bra for the hood (its dinged up bad and can afford to fix it too) so it shouldn't get any worse now. I fixed the hatch latch which was rusting out and put rustoleum on the inside of the hatch lid to keep it from rusting out too. I took out the old stereo and put in a new updated one and took out all the old sirrius radio junk that was in there before and removed the old CD changer. I put the stereo and control panel area on the dash back to its original state. I did have someone professionally uninstall the remote start because it was part of the reason my cruise would not work and I know nothing about alarm systems. My car is a manual so it isn't even legal to have remote start on my car. I don't even know how that ever happened :rolleyes: I got most of the the parts from a junkyard so I kept my cost down by doing that. I removed the air intake from the top of the engine, cleaned it and fixed several vacuum lines that were cracked and leaking. I replaced the old air filter with a high quality washable one (pretty eco friendly I thought) and put in a new cabin air filter so now my AC doesn't smell like butt! I opened the cabin filter back up again a sprayed Ozium in the vents while the blower was on, that works amazingly well. Stink is gone! I gave the car a tune up with new spark plugs, spark plug wires and coils. All of that and I did add my Yak Rack but it's been on there for a while. I think that is about it. Ahhhhhhhh. Finally done. :D:D:D:D

After all the 'fixes' I went from 27 MPG to 32 in town! :D:eek::D:eek: THAT makes me happiest of all!

Catrin
07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
I just have to toot my own horn (pun intended) a bit cuz I just get no love on car websites..... All of that and I did add my Yak Rack but it's been on there for a while. I think that is about it. Ahhhhhhhh. Finally done. :D:D:D:D

After all the 'fixes' I went from 27 MPG to 32 in town! :D:eek::D:eek: THAT makes me happiest of all!

You rock woman :D :cool: :D Great job and you did a wonderful job making that car YOURS!

lph
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I just have to toot my own horn (pun intended) a bit cuz I just get no love on car websites.

I have no idea what you really did but fixing things for the first time is fantastic. Way to go!!!