PDA

View Full Version : when a common cold isn't just a cold

bmccasland
05-18-2012, 06:05 PM
When it's whooping cough. Take it from me, it isn't fun.

If you live in a part of the country, or world, where it's made a resurgance, get the shot.

Thought I had a cold, which triggered my asthma out of control. Still had coughing fits so hard I'd pass out. Went back to my doctor. Between the coughing fits, fatigue, and shortness of breath - couldn't walk to my desk from the parking lot without breathing like I've been on a long bike ride (or running), I knew something was still very wrong. Surprise! Whooping cough.

Just finished a round of antibiotics, an still on prednisone. At least the Rx cough syrup is nice :o

So that's been my past month, hope y'all are doing better than me.

Am slowly getting my strength back. It kills me that the weather has been lovely the past several weekends and all I can do is sit on the couch and read, or nap. Guess I'll have to start slow, like stroll around the block. Eventually I'll get my bike off the trainer - it's still there, mocking me.

salsabike
05-18-2012, 07:19 PM
When it's whooping cough. Take it from me, it isn't fun.

If you live in a part of the country, or world, where it's made a resurgance, get the shot.

Thought I had a cold, which triggered my asthma out of control. Still had coughing fits so hard I'd pass out. Went back to my doctor. Between the coughing fits, fatigue, and shortness of breath - couldn't walk to my desk from the parking lot without breathing like I've been on a long bike ride (or running), I knew something was still very wrong. Surprise! Whooping cough.

Just finished a round of antibiotics, an still on prednisone. At least the Rx cough syrup is nice :o

So that's been my past month, hope y'all are doing better than me.

Am slowly getting my strength back. It kills me that the weather has been lovely the past several weekends and all I can do is sit on the couch and read, or nap. Guess I'll have to start slow, like stroll around the block. Eventually I'll get my bike off the trainer - it's still there, mocking me.

Beth! Wow. I'm sorry to hear it. Yep, this state has, I believe, a declared pandemic and it sure highlights why vaccination matters. I'm glad you're getting better.

jobob
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Yikes! I hope you get well soon.

Eden
05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Ouch - I know it's been a hot topic around the hospital (I work at Children's). They require us to be vaccinated, as did the VA where I used to work. I think I've had the Dtap vaccine twice in the last 10 years, so I should be protected.

OakLeaf
05-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Oh wow.

Feel better soon.

Get plenty of protein (you probably knew that) - any time I've had a long lasting infection, or even a short intense one like the flu, I've craved red meat like nobody's business to replace all those white blood cells.

(((((((Beth)))))))

Crankin
05-19-2012, 03:38 AM
My oldest son had it when he was in 8th grade. Same as you, he came home from camp, thinking it was allergies, asthma. . . until the day he was coughing so hard in the shower, he didn't mind me coming in and seeing him naked, at age 13. I really thought he was going to die. DH, myself, and DS #2 had to take the antibiotics and also inform his whole team at school and his grade at religious school to get tested.
It turned out he caught it from another kid at camp. DS had his first Dtap shot at 2 months old and actually had one of those "unusual high pitched crying" reactions, so the doctor did not give him the "p" part for the rest of the shots. They wouldn't give it to DS #2, either. This was around the time when a lot of information about reactions to this shot first came out; I am not anti-vaccine at all, but after I described the reaction to the pediatrician, he was freaked out as I guess this was connected to possible neurological side effects.
It took my son a full 4 months to recover. He was weak, pale, and generally unhappy for the entire fall.

malkin
05-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Yowza--sounds like a whopper.

Last time I needed a tetanus shot after a bite at work, the doc gave me one that included whooping cough. I'm glad.

OakLeaf
05-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Is that standard now? I guess I should check with the ER that gave me my last tetanus shot, whether there was pertussis in it too.

jessmarimba
05-19-2012, 10:44 AM
Hope you're feeling better soon! That sounds awful

Selkie
05-20-2012, 04:57 AM
Is that standard now? I guess I should check with the ER that gave me my last tetanus shot, whether there was pertussis in it too.

I believe it has been standard for the last several years. When I had my tetnus shot updated last year, it included pertussis.

Hope you are feeling better soon, Beth! Enjoy the cough syrup (ironically, my GP is very strict in doling out the antibiotics but he had no problems giving me multiple refills of cherrytussin a few years ago, when I had a bad cold that lasted 6 weeks). ;)

bmccasland
05-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks y'all.

Am feeling better. Will try to get through the day without a nap :rolleyes: I feel almost "normal" again.
Next up is start daily walks again to get my strength and endurance up to something more that that of a gnat.

malkin
05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm all for a nice nap when you need one!