PDA

View Full Version : Golf

spazzdog
05-09-2012, 07:52 AM
So, I moved to Texas last April (2011) and rode a couple of times but the record heat and the pickups aiming for me had me rack the bike and start re-learning golf after a 40 yr absence.

Surprisingly, I love it... I suck, but I really love it and improvements are coming slow & sure. Even found a great golf forum (huge, coed, but very nice and helpful) called The Hackers Paradise (www.thehackersparadise.com), so, if your alternative sport is golf, speak up.

I'm sure I'll ride again at some point... The golf is just working for me. It gave me an escape (and emotional release) that helped me through my dads long illness and his death in February. It continues to provide a healthy outdoor energy outlet.

I'll still be lurking around here or at least checking in, so y'all behave ;) and ride safe.

xo spazzdog

emily_in_nc
05-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi Spazz!

Glad you popped in! Not a golfer myself (took lessons once, but I didn't enjoy it enough to practice, and I really S U C K E D!) but glad you're enjoying it. It's always good to hear what forum members are up to when they leave for awhile.

jobob
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Spazz!!! Great to hear from you.

I think of you whenever I pull on my Amici Veloci gear. Which actually fits nowadays.

Kudos for finding something you enjoy that gets you out & about.

spazzdog
05-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Hey Emily!

I've been "lurking about" on occasion.

The golf is definitely working for me. It gets me out for a while (4 hrs if I play, 2 hr practice sessions) which doesn't leave my s-mom alone too awful long (she needs help with stuff since dads passing).

I've become a bit of a golf junkie... Not a gear-**** yet ;) because no $$ but I can see that coming up as my game improves.

I'll keep you posted...

Serendipity
05-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Hi, Spazzdog - another (sometime) golfer here! Congrats on finding an alternate activity that you enjoy and gives you the escape you need.

I can identify with your comment: I suck, but I really love it and improvements are coming slow & sure. That's pretty much my type of golfing. I do well enough, frequently enough, to keep me coming back and trying to improve!!

For the last couple of years I've been a member of a Ladies Golf Club - its a social-style of club so not serious at all. Members range from 'never held a golf club before' to a few with a handicap. We all have a lot of fun and slowly but surely improve our game.

spokewench
05-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Nope, no Golf. Just an occasional visit to the driving range with my Mom!

I'm a tennis convert. It is amazing how improving in tennis has improved my golf swing - it is really the same concept!

spazzdog
05-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Spazz!!! Great to hear from you.

I think of you whenever I pull on my Amici Veloci gear. Which actually fits nowadays.

Kudos for finding something you enjoy that gets you out & about.

Thanks Jobob... Loved helping with that jersey!

The golf beats up my brain more than my body, which is good, but I get some decent exercise outside which is even mo' better. I kind of wish I got into it at a younger age as I seem to have a natural affinity for parts of it. With the practice I'm currently putting in, I expect to break 100 this year then off to the next golf goal ;)

shootingstar
05-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I used to live for 14 yrs., just 4 blocks away from a 9-hole golf course. I never did use it..but then too much of hassle to figure out where I could rent clubs since I didn't have a car.

I've known 3 different women who were crazy about golfing. They golfed with other women and had a great time. And their vacations were devoted to flying overseas to a foreign country and find a nice golfing area and ...golf+ socialize.

Among more serious female golfers, there's probably a golf culture that we're not aware of.

Crankin
05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Hi Spazz!
Glad you found another thing to keep you busy. Are you still doing your art work?
I sometimes think about that weird ride we took when everyone was crashing for silly reasons. It seems like a million years ago.

Deborajen
05-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Yes - I golf! DH and I play most every weekend. Started 3 or 4 years ago. And I suck, too. But walking the course is some decent exercise - and the surroundings are pretty - and there's just something about smacking a ball around that really feels good. :)

I love the short game - putting, chipping, wedge shots -- The long game is harder, but I'm getting there - sloooowly.

And it's definitely mental. DH is a really long hitter whereas I'm not. But he usually doesn't hit straight, so I try to blow off how far back I am and work on not missing targets while he's getting out of trees, etc.