PDA

View Full Version : Feed Zone Cookbook

Irulan
05-04-2012, 04:57 AM
http://feedzonecookbook.com/

I just got this in and it looks very interesting. Im specifically interested in the breakfast ideas, and the "portables". It looks like there are a lot great homemade alternatives to gu and bars. Overall, it looks like there are lot of yummy healthy fueling ideas, and excellent information on how to eat well for endurance and fueling, specifically for cyclists.

I do love the caveat about portion size, to be mindful about it if you aren't training like Levi Lephiemer..

All in all it looks great. Has anyone else tried anything out of this yet?

I.

Veronica
05-04-2012, 05:11 AM
I got it for Christmas and have tried a few things.

Bacon muffins - seemed too wet. I've played around a little bit with the recipe, but haven't yet been happy with the texture.
Savory Bread Cakes - also seemed too wet
Allen's Rice Cakes - quite tasty, also makes a good lunch, warmed in the microwave, if you're planning an afternoon workout.

Veronica

maillotpois
05-04-2012, 06:43 AM
We met Allen Lim at Sea Otter and he had samples of his drink mix as well as a food truck there. The drink mix is great. DH used it on DMD. We got the book, but haven't had time to try anything in it yet. I thought those Allen's rice cakes looked great as well. As did some of the curry, dinner and slow cooker dishes.

bluebug32
05-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I love this cookbook! The meatball, biryani, green chili pork,empanadas, chicken fried rice....all delicious! I'm also really fond of the breakfast sandwich that combines steamed greens with scrambled eggs and shaved parm. and lemon. Oh and his stuffed french toast is good too. Can you tell I've been cooking a lot lately? haha

shootingstar
05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Most of the featured recipes in his blog look pretty healthy and good. (Except I can't much white rice anymore. Anyway. :()

He does throw in some indulgences. Jeepers..for his flourless chocolate cake that Lance Armstrong loved at times:

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
¼ cup liquor
10 large eggs
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
sprinkle of cayenne pepper

For that amount of butter, I think I would need to bike 120 km. at least. I would tend to want to find a way to use the dark real chocolate instead of semi-sweet choc. chips.

Maybe it serves 8 people...gotta check recipe.

Irulan
05-07-2012, 08:49 PM
lol there's specific caveats in the book that if you are not training at a super high level to be extremely mindful that the portion sizes are for those who are.

Catrin
05-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Thanks for mentioning this cookbook Irulun, it looks quite interesting.

malkin
05-08-2012, 04:17 AM
Most of the featured recipes in his blog look pretty healthy and good. (Except I can't much white rice anymore. Anyway. :()

He does throw in some indulgences. Jeepers..for his flourless chocolate cake that Lance Armstrong loved at times:

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
¼ cup liquor
10 large eggs
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
sprinkle of cayenne pepper

For that amount of butter, I think I would need to bike 120 km. at least. I would tend to want to find a way to use the dark real chocolate instead of semi-sweet choc. chips.

Maybe it serves 8 people...gotta check recipe.

Liquor?!

Trek420
05-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Liquor?!

With chocolate? Oh yeah :D

ShutUpLegs
06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Hello! Long time lurker, but my first post!

I actually don't have the cookbook (I'm vegetarian and don't eat eggs, so I've heard there's not much there for me). However, friends have shared some pages and I have made a vegetarian non-egg version of the rice cakes - they've become a staple for my rides - especially longer rides. They're super light on the stomach, taste good, provide some protein, and give lots of energy for me. If anyone wants to know my modified recipe, I'd be happy to share! I also just tried the Skratch labs hydration mix and it has a nice subtle flavor but still keeps me hydrated for humid summer rides out here.

maillotpois
06-18-2012, 01:35 PM
I also just tried the Skratch labs hydration mix and it has a nice subtle flavor but still keeps me hydrated for humid summer rides out here.

I love the Skratch drink mix. We've started using it almost exclusively.

LynneK
06-26-2012, 04:12 PM
We've been cooking up a storm out of the Feed Zone cookbook! One dish that's become regular in our rotation is the quinoa and sweet potato hash for breakfast -- cooked quinoa, sauté sweet potatoes with onions, add some parmesan cheese, top with eggs cooked as you like and chopped parsley.

We've also tried several other dishes, and are quite happy with the recipes, with the aforementioned portion size caveat!

Catrin
06-26-2012, 04:19 PM
We've been cooking up a storm out of the Feed Zone cookbook! One dish that's become regular in our rotation is the quinoa and sweet potato hash for breakfast -- cooked quinoa, sauté sweet potatoes with onions, add some parmesan cheese, top with eggs cooked as you like and chopped parsley...

Oooooh, this sounds quite yummy indeed, and also easy to whip up without a recipe. I will try this - been looking for different breakfast food to try and I do prefer a savory breakfast. Do you precook the sweet potatoes or just cut them up raw?

Crankin
06-27-2012, 02:46 AM
I made that quinoa recipe this morning.
Yum.

Catrin
06-27-2012, 03:03 AM
Would it be possible for someone to post the recipe? I could just experiment - but I prefer not to experiment too much at 4:45 AM :rolleyes: I am really curious....it sounds like we have a few members who like this cookbook.