PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitor Reaction?

Catrin
04-21-2012, 04:05 PM
I've been using a Polar HRM for most of the last 2.5 years - and I've always used it for all of my fitness activities. Of course it isn't the same strap, and indeed I replaced my HRM entirely at the end of the year.

Nothing has changed in my use of it, but I am noticing an odd skin reaction under the strap where the battery/transmitter contacts are. This makes no sense to me - the actual contacts aren't on the skin side :confused: I've got a few red welts that almost look like blisters and could be very small ones...but it is ONLY under the area of the strap where the transmitter/battery contact is. I would think if it were a chafing/sweat thing that it would cover a larger (or longer) area. This has happened a couple of times in a row now, so I guess I need to figure this out.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a way to solve it? Just to test my observation, when I ride tomorrow afternoon I will wear it differently and place the batter/transmitter section around closer to my side.

zoom-zoom
04-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Is it itchy? I can't wear the Road IDs that have the silicone band...I get some sort of eczema/reaction under those. No issues with the woven ones.

marni
04-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Can you remove the montor itself from the band? If so ,take your band and soak it in warm water and shampoo for 20 minutes, rinse completely and let air dry. If not, at least rub the band stretchy part down frequently with a good damp washcloth and then let it air or sun dry completely. If you can separate the band and monitor, while the band is soaking, take the back of the monitor itself and clean it off with rubbing alcohol. Wear the monitor in a different position for a while to give your itchy skin a chance to heal. Cortisone cream also helps.

I do this when I start getting salt blisters from the collected sweat and dirt from perspiration.

worth a try and cheaper than buying a new polar.

marni

Catrin
04-22-2012, 03:29 AM
The band itself is machine washable, and I do that regularly - Polar recommends that it go in the washer (sports wash) after every 5 wearings...perhaps this isn't enough. I will try Marni's suggestion tonight, and for my ride this afternoon will just spin the strap around a bit.

OakLeaf
04-22-2012, 03:38 AM
I have a Garmin watch/strap and I don't really know how the construction differs, but not only does the removable elastic strap get washed, but the receiver/transmitter part gets a scrub with a toothbrush now and then. The battery door is O-ring sealed, obviously, since it has to resist sweat and swimming, so it's fine to get it wet, and crud will build up in the strap that needs to be scrubbed off or it won't receive properly.

That said, I get a heat rash type of thing under my socks and sports bra. It doesn't really sound like yours - blotchy, red and raised, but not itchy or sensitive. I only get it in hot weather when I run over about 3 hours. Not on the bike no matter how long I ride or how hot the weather, not in cooler weather no matter how long I run, and though I wear different bras for running and riding, I sometimes wear the same socks. But it might be something like that?

Catrin
04-22-2012, 03:57 AM
It isn't a heat rash - perhaps it is time to take that grungy toothbrush and scrub the connectors as well. The strap is fabric (sort of) and problem isn't under the woven parts which are to either side of the contacts and are an inch or so long. The small blisters mirror the exact contact points on top of the strap, so something is going on. I will twist the strap around for my ride late this afternoon, and do some serious soaking and cleaning tonight. Hopefully I've some rubbing alcohol and clean the transmitter itself.

Catrin
04-22-2012, 12:50 PM
I twisted the strap/monitor portion around to my left side for my ride today and no problems. Marni probably nailed it with her suggestion that perhaps my usual washing treatment isn't getting all of the salt out. The strap goes in the washing machine every two weeks and gets rinsed after every use but that doesn't mean all of the salt/perspiration is getting removed. Hard to see how not...but something is causing this and that is the easiest explanation.

The contacts don't touch my skin so I can't see how it is some new allergic reaction. I appreciate the comments!

Catrin
05-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I've figured out that this likely has nothing to do with the HRM, because I get the same reaction when I am not wearing it :eek: Unsure right now if it is a reaction to the salt in my sweat (and now it is extending along the curve between my girls), or if it is simply that I am getting a reaction from the sports wash I've been using. That area probably is the one area where the straps get the most contact/movement against my skin...

So I think I will set aside the sports wash for now and use the powder Arm and Hammer detergent. I don't think I CAN get out of my sweaty clothes more quickly than I do...maybe use powder? It isn't a pretty sight but it doesn't really bother me... It does seem odd that this is a problem now, it isn't like I've not been working out for a few years now. I did, however, become more consistent about using the Sports Wash on my cycling and workout clothes a few months back.

Have others this problem?