PDA

View Full Version : New bike, new pains

ACG
12-18-2005, 12:05 PM
I have a new bike, an XS Giant OCR 3, I was riding a 51cm WSD Trek. I tried several bikes. I did get a bike fit with the Giant, not the Trek. I know now that I had the handlebars up way to high at an angle on the Trek and that the seat height was also too high, I also think the bike may have been too big. The Trek shop didn't really measure me and they didn't really spend time on my fit. The Giant shop put me on a trainer for a long time-adjusted the bike, followed me on a 25 mile ride, adjusted the bike, put me on a trainer, adjusted the bike,etc. Problem is now that I'm at the 150 mile mark on the new bike, I have pain between my shoulder blades. I'm wondering if I'm too hunched over. Or is it that I am just needing to be patient and get used to riding the bike at the correct angle, seat height, etc. etc... Thanks to all!

doc
12-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Very interesting question. It certainly sounds like this bike should be fitting you better after all the effort your LBS put in. Plus the OCR is a relatively upright bike compared to the giant TCR and I think compared to trek wsd too. If you've been riding and your in relatively decent shape you should not expect pain to be a part of the adjustment. Have a buddy watch you ride and see if you are hunching or something.
I'm especially interested in what happens as I am considering going from my trek wsd 2100 to a giant TCR. I never loved my trek. I want something to LOVE.
Oh, one more thing, I am on a 52 cm and would go to a s giant not an xs. I'm 5-4, how about you?

Trek420
12-18-2005, 03:09 PM
ACG wasn't the Trek steel and your Giant's aluminum? Could it be getting used to and or equiped for the stiffer ride.

caligurl
12-18-2005, 10:25 PM
i think maybe there might be an adjustment period.. i just got a new bike and the first few days i was having shoulder issues... i also found out that i like being in a lower.. although still in the comfort area... position! i say give it a few days.. if it still bothers you... get an adjustment (i.e. shorter stem.. let or more rise)

Grog
12-19-2005, 08:06 AM
I think it's normal to have some pain - not _sharp_, awful pain, but _some_ pain - between the shoulders when starting on a new bike, or at the beginning of every season. I expect this pain to last for 300 km or so.

I know my bike is pretty well fitted in general but I hadn't ridden for more than 50km for more than a month and yesterday I went for a longer ride... ouch! I was hurting everywhere, and, yes, especially in the back. It seems like it's one of the areas of our body that is working a lot during cycling and perhaps not during other kinds of exercice we do.

So I'd tolerate it and stretch meticulously after every ride for another hundred miles, max. If there's no change, or if you start hurting somewhere else (elbows...), ask for adjustments. It's always a good idea to get adjustments after 500 km on a new bike anyway.

Enjoy!

traveller_62
12-19-2005, 09:03 AM
I had the same experience as other posters. My shoulders hurt a bit right after I bought a new bike. My LBS spent a goodly amount of time with me on handlebar choices and also with the position or tilt in the handlebar.

I forget what all the possibilities are but I ended up with a handlebar that is apparently designed for smaller folks (I'm 5'2")...I think the angle of the bend in the handlebar is more extreme so that I don't have to hunch over as much to go down into an aero position.

It made a big difference for me and it was completely independent of the fit of the bike frame itself.

Good luck!

- traveller