PDA

View Full Version : Hiawatha Trail

erniebob
08-25-2001, 09:37 PM
About halfway between Missoula and Spokane on the border is a Rails to Trails project called the Hiawatha Trail after the train that used to run there. It's only 13 miles long so far but has tunnels (including the Taft Tunnel, a spine tingling 1.8 miles long with no lights) and trestles and absolutely breath taking scenery. We saw people of all ages and abilities on this trail including one gentleman in a wheelchair! This is a lovely ride for anybody interested in actually seeing where they are instead of just racing to get somewhere, and I highly recommend it!!!

pennys
04-28-2002, 09:27 AM
the Hiawatha is fun, but definatly NOT a mountain bike ride. It's a crushed gravel RR grade, down hill all the way. The features are very cool, tunnels and trestles... one tunnel is two miles long. Headlamps are required, as is a fee trail pass. It's great for families. If it's a hot summer day, go early as it gets very warm.

this trail is really in Idaho, not Montana.

Penny S

erniebob
05-01-2002, 07:54 PM
The majority of the trail is in Idaho, but the state line is in the middle of the Taft Tunnel so you start in one state and end in the other.

Yes, it is a railroad grade so not challenging, but it's wonderful for families or people who just want a lovely view. And it's only downhill one way, of course.

pennys
05-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Heh, when I rode it the Taft Tunel wasn't open yet, so I was in Idahop the whole way. I certainly didn't mean to soudn harsh if I did, I am just careful about misinformation... andI was rather surprised to see that ride listed under Montana!

But you must be local-ish to the area? KNow any other good rides?

penny S
Spokane