PDA

View Full Version : Cat Meodling???

WindingRoad
03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
For whatever reason my 15 year old cat has started to do this super LOUD gutteral, low pitched meow/yodeling thing, especially at night? Not sure what her deal is but as soon as I go look at her she seems fine. I can't tell that she is hurting. Only thing is I have noticed she seems to be breathing heavier? She is snoring really loud these days? Anyone else have this happen?

zoom-zoom
03-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Our 18 year old female does this, too. It never appears to be a "song" of distress. Sometimes I wonder if it's her way of celebrating the fact that she's still alive. :p

jessmarimba
03-12-2012, 08:03 PM
My blind cat used to do that when she couldn't find me or wanted attention, but she was an unusual case :p .

I wonder, though, it could be that she's getting hard of hearing? A lot of deaf cats are ridiculously loud.

zoom-zoom
03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
My blind cat used to do that when she couldn't find me or wanted attention, but she was an unusual case :p .

I wonder, though, it could be that she's getting hard of hearing? A lot of deaf cats are ridiculously loud.

I've wondered if our Lola is losing her hearing a little. She sleeps so deeply that I can call her and call her, then I will touch her and she startles. Her eyesight is bad from cataracts, too. But, man, her sense of smell is superpowered!

feral1
03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
For whatever reason my 15 year old cat has started to do this super LOUD gutteral, low pitched meow/yodeling thing, especially at night? Not sure what her deal is but as soon as I go look at her she seems fine. I can't tell that she is hurting. Only thing is I have noticed she seems to be breathing heavier? She is snoring really loud these days? Anyone else have this happen?

You might want to get her blood checked. My cat (16 yrs) is hyperthyroid and does that meowing everynight...........sometimes ALL night.......:(

zoom-zoom
03-12-2012, 10:14 PM
You might want to get her blood checked. My cat (16 yrs) is hyperthyroid and does that meowing everynight...........sometimes ALL night.......:(

Ahhh...Lola is also hyper.

indysteel
03-13-2012, 02:14 AM

This^. It's a common sign/symptom of hyperthyroidism. I'd second the suggestion for bloodwork.

WindingRoad
03-13-2012, 05:43 AM
If she is hyperthyroid isn't she supposed to be skinny? She's definitely 'fluffy' ;) She definitely has cataracts I hadn't really thought about her hearing.

indysteel
03-13-2012, 06:00 AM
If she is hyperthyroid isn't she supposed to be skinny? She's definitely 'fluffy' ;) She definitely has cataracts I hadn't really thought about her hearing.

They often lose weight, but sometimes they eat enough food--at least for a time--to make up for it. When Sophie (who was also fluffy) started to lose weight from it, I didn't notice at first because she was just so furry.

Given her age, it's recommended that they get blood work every 6 mos to a year to keep an eye on things like thyroid and kidney function. It couldn't hurt to get her values in the near future just to make sure. If it's not her thyroid, perhaps something else will show up on the bloodwork.

WindingRoad
03-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Peanut went to the vet today. On her physical exam the vet seemed to think she was ok :) They are doing blood work on her and I should know tomorrow if there is anything wrong.

She kept growling at the vet. That whole thermometer in the butt thing really pi$$es her off, LOL. Such a goofy kitty :rolleyes:

missjean
03-30-2012, 12:58 PM
My 14ish year old male cat, Tarzan, has been doing that all his life, but only a couple times a week. He start walking around the house doing that loud merrrooow, merrrooow thing for a couple of minutes. When I use to go see what was up, he'd turn and look at me like "What?!?" I use to think maybe he was calling for our other cat, Agatha, but she can be in the same room with him and he still does it.
Cats - who the heck knows what's going on in their heads! :confused:

WindingRoad
04-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Well the vet called today and she said Peanut's blood tests came back totally normal. I guess she has just been picking up on my crazy stressful life? She has been acting better recently though. Not so much meodling and gets up on the couch and bed with me now. I have little "kitty steps" so her geriatric little butt can get up on the bed and couch. I've been trying to play with her more too. She LOVES her kitty fishing pole :-)

marni
04-02-2012, 07:17 PM
yay for the good news. Ours periodically start thundering and meodling at 2 AM i the family room right over our heads. You have to think of these as endearing qualities or kill them.

marni

nuliajuk
05-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Our male cat (age 18) started doing that a few years ago. The vet clinic couldn't find anything wrong with him that could account for it. Then we read a letter to an advice column in a British cat magazine that suggested the onset of deafness or blindness can start a cat doing that. Cats can also get cognitive disorders similar to Alzhiemer, apparently.
Since our cat only does it when he's alone, and stops when we check on him, we decided to take a chance on getting a companion for him. (He had a sister until age 15-1/2, when we had to have her euthanized for a brain tumour.) So we recently took a 12 year old siamese mix "on spec" and to our relief he gets along with her (as well as cats ever do) and is yowling a lot less. Now he only does it when he finds himself alone downstairs in the rec room at night.

Munch
05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
My cat Evie will meodle a few nights a week. Usually it's once I've climbed up into the loft and she's downstairs. It isn't constant. She will meodle, then normal meow, then meodle again. We pretty much think it's because she doesn't want us to go to bed. She sleeps all day and once it's time for us to go to bed, she starts getting active, loud, and apparently it's dinnertime as well. So funny. She also has a habit of whenever my fiance is over waking us up at ridiculous times in the morning. Constant meowing! She only does it when he's here. Needless to say, I fear for after he moves in after the wedding. She's gonna go nuts every morning!!

chatnoire
06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
My 19 year old does this too. She started just at night, but has begun doing it when half asleep during the day, too. I'll typically pick her up, slip her inside my hoodie for a few minutes to calm her down, and then she's god. She's stone deaf, and a little senile, I think, but otherwise holding up well enough to terrorize our two 70 lb dogs. (she weighs 5.5 lbs).