PDA

View Full Version : Equipment I can afford?

Hartmame
02-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Granted Im trying to start touring at a financially difficult time for the country and for myself, as I'm sending my oldest off to college next fall. Still I'd like to get my feet wet with touring. My Surly is almost finished being built and my mind is now on to how to and what to bring along. I'm looking for racks under $100. Top of the line would be nice but if I waited till I could afford it I'd never make it down the road. What are you carrying that's cheap but works??

ridebikeme
02-25-2012, 03:19 AM
Lots of choices there for sure...

I chose to go without racks and use bags,the advantage is that the entire system is lighter. I also knew that the larger bags/pannniers that I carried, theh more I would fill them... whether I needed to or not. I ordered bags from Relevate, and love the quality. Although the other side of that is that I waited very long for them with no communication from the company itself. There are a couple of other companies out there now as well... Cleavealand Mountainerring is another, so you could check out their site as well.

I did a review on the shop blog on the racks/panniers vs bags, maybe you'd want to check that out as well. http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com
If you're so inclined, there are also people sewing their own bags... so I could point you in that direction as well...

Good luck in your search!:D

indysteel
02-25-2012, 04:26 AM
We have Racktime ADDit rear racks on our touring bikes. I think you can find them for $50ish if you shop around. Our panniers are from Nashbar ( their own brand). I think we got them on sale for $25 or so. They work just fine, even in pouring rain.

Becky
02-25-2012, 05:58 AM
Another recommendation for Racktime products in general. DH and I each have a set of their panniers and love them. Our racks are Blackburn, and each one must be ~15 years old, but they're still going strong.

We don't do much loaded touring, but we do commute on a less-than-well-maintained route.

Dog
02-25-2012, 09:07 AM
I bought a lightly used BOB trailer off Craigslist and have used on some overnight trips.

Catrin
02-25-2012, 12:58 PM
I had a Blackburn rear rack on my LHT, I think it cost me around $50 unless my memory is totally off. It is important to be aware how much weight your rack is rated to carry as there are differences. You don't want to put 50 pounds on something designed to carry 25...

Hartmame
02-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Thank you!
I'm going to look into the rack time racks and Nashbar Panniers. Wait did she say the Nashbar panniers are waterproof? My daughter rode with a $12 handlebar bag from pricepoint.com; we didn't have any rain so I don't know how well it would hold up to that but she is very happy with it. I checked a while back and it looks like they are now about $6. She left it on after our long ride last summer so I'm going to go check out in the garage and see how it is holding up.

ridebikeme
02-26-2012, 06:51 AM
Just to be safe, I would always pack clothing or anything you don't want to get wet in plastic bags BEFORE putting them in waterproof bags... panniers or otherwise. I've been on way too many bike tours and seen wet clothing come out of waterproof bags. Just a precaution..:D

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Sky King
02-26-2012, 07:41 AM
We carry Racktime and Ortlieb and Lone Peak (http://store.biketouringnews.com/bags-panniers-racks/)(LP is higher priced but made in USA) I took the Racktime travelit's on our tour last summer, I used the smaller (fronts) but put them on the back. Racktime Addit is a really nice rear rack for a very decent price. Of course, I have also toured with an 18 liter Zimbale Saddlebag, perfect for S24O. Be happy to help and answer questions for you.

eofelis
02-27-2012, 08:19 AM
I have a Delta Sherpa rack on my LHT. I love these racks but I don't see other people using them much. They sell for around $40 but I keep finding them in the clearance bin at REI for $10. So I keep picking them up. My commuter bikes have them too.

Mine has worked well for our short tours. It's rated for 60lbs. I carry about 25lbs on my rear rack.

I have plenty of panniers, Jandd panniers for touring and very old REI Novara panniers for commuting. But if I needed panniers I think the Nashbar panniers look like a good deal when they are on sale (frequently) for $20-30. They have a lot of good reviews on the nashbar website.

eofelis
02-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Here is the exact rack I have on my LHT (mine has 26" wheels) and look it's on sale at REI for $16. (http://www.rei.com/product/806157/delta-cycle-megarack-super-sherpa-rear-bike-rack-2009-closeout?cm_mmc=cse_shoppingO-_-datafeed-_-product-_-806157&mr:referralID=b27ce50d-6167-11e1-8e16-001b2166becc)

Hartmame
03-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the great information on racks and panniers! What else do I need? I picked up a two man tent last year a Colman, I'm sure it isn't the lightest thing but for now it's what I own. What other equipment should I not leave home without?

Tri Girl
03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
a stove if you want to eat hot food. Of course, you can get by just fine with cold foods (I prefer bringing food I don't have to cook).

Also important are off-bike shoes. Good lights in case you get caught out after dark, and lastly, a sense of adventure (but it seems like you already have that). ;)

Kiwi Stoker
03-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Ask around and see if you can borrow camping gear. Most people have stuff sitting sround not being used. That way you can try before you buy, or see what you actually need before investing the $$$.

Also I know so hiking and tramping places will rent/hire out stuff as well.

Sky King
03-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Here are a few tips we have put together on what to take (http://biketouringnews.com/category/touring-guide/what-to-bring-bike-touring/) on you bike tour

Hartmame
03-18-2012, 03:54 AM
I have gotten a lot of good advice here so far but we haven't touched on sleeping bags and pads yet. I'm mostly curious about sleeping pads having never used one and they seem pricey. I don't want to waste my money on something to cheap that won't hold up but I don't want to break the bank either. What's the most comfort for the buck? How well do these roll up and store on the bike? At my age a sleeping pad seems like something I would really like to have while camping.

Tri Girl
03-18-2012, 07:00 AM
I own three different sleeping pads (for different purposes). I have a 3/4 length 1" thick Thermarest self inflating, an Alps Mountaineering 1.5" thick self-inflatable, and a Big Agnes core-air 2" blow up air mattress.

My absolute FAVE for bike touring and backpacking is the Big Agnes. It's not self-inflating (takes about 30-40 breaths of air to blow up depending on how thick I want it that night), but it's the smallest and lightest and most comfortable mattress IMO. When rolled up, it fits in my water bottle cage. It took some getting used to sleeping on, as it's a bit noisy when you move around on it, and it kind of reminded me of sleeping on a blow-up pool toy at first. But truly- it's SUPER comfy and molds to my body. I wouldn't use it in cold weather, tho, because it's filled with air and that trapped air gets COLD!

The Alps Mountaineering is SUPER comfy, but it's quite thick when rolled up and it's MUCH too wide for bike touring. It's my car-camping mattress.

The Thermarest is OK. It does OK for bike touring, but it still takes up a lot of room on the bike. 1" thick is not enough for these old bones. ;)

If you know anyone with a mattress, see if you can borrow a few different kinds to see which one would work best for you. Sometimes you don't know until you sleep for a night on it.

As far as sleeping bags- I have a heavy-duty winter one and a very lightweight Slumberjack one I found on eBay for $5. The light summer one rolls up pretty small, although in summer I usually just bring a top sheet to use as I don't need much when it's warm.

Sky King
03-18-2012, 09:02 AM
okay couldn't resist showing off our hennessy hammocks. I love, love mine except when there aren't any trees but most of the time we can find something to hang them on.

out_spokin'
03-21-2012, 04:53 PM
+ 1 for the Big Agnes. I now bring mine on trips where otherwise I'd be sleeping on a couch or pullout, even with a car or plane trip, because it's more comfortable than bad beds and really packable. Might be out of your price range, but definitely best value for the dollar. Otherwise I'd say definitely look to borrow or rent. I wouldn't go without something - important for comfort, keeping your bag away from dirt/dew, etc.

Tri Girl
03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
If you check eBay you can get a Big Agnes for rather cheap.
It's where I got ours. Paid $45 for each. For what it is- it's a GREAT bargain!!

Hartmame
04-07-2012, 07:59 PM
The Nashbar Panniers price went up $10, I'll try to wait for another sale. I don't need them right away I have at least 2 months. I'd like to do some training rides with a loaded bike before it is time to go though.

Hartmame
04-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Didn't even know that I knew any hikers but in a passing conversation about trying a 5 day trip across the state I learned that I do know someone with hiking & light weight camping gear! Maybe doing this trip will work out after all.

Tri Girl
04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Didn't even know that I knew any hikers but in a passing conversation about trying a 5 day trip across the state I learned that I do know someone with hiking & light weight camping gear! Maybe doing this trip will work out after all.

That's great to hear!!! Borrowing equipment before plunking down the cash all at once is always great!

Catrin
04-24-2012, 11:05 AM
That's great to hear!!! Borrowing equipment before plunking down the cash all at once is always great!

I did this last year, some good friends loaned me camping equipment a couple of times so I could see if I liked it before having to put down a lot of money on camping stuff...it was a very nice way to do it and it really helped me develop and idea what I wanted.

tinyhelmets
04-25-2012, 08:56 PM
I think this is the best video about touring prep ever! I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AdvCyclingAssoc?feature=g-hist