PDA

View Full Version : Bike Pump Advice

ChristineO
02-24-2012, 05:04 AM
I have a floor pump at home, but nothing portable to take with me on rides. I do have a few CO2 cartridges, but I should have a pump as well, correct? Not looking to spend too much money - what's the best one out there?

Sky King
02-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Having experienced failed CO2 pumps I don't use them. If you always ride with a group then it may not be a big deal but if you commute or ride by yourself than I can't recommend them. We are fans of Zefal (http://store.biketouringnews.com/bicycle-pumps/) and carry 3 styles.

WindingRoad
02-24-2012, 06:36 AM
I just found a cool frame pump by Blackburn. It's easy to get leverage on too for airing up high pressure tires.

http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_us/pumps/airstik-longneck-evo.html

This has the little air extension part to make it easier to use. I had a blackburn Mammoth before this one that royally sucked but this one is great.

ChristineO
02-24-2012, 11:27 AM
thank you, I will check these out!

Owlie
02-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I carry both CO2 and a "frame pump". It's really just a mini-pump that I carry in my jersey pocket, but it comes with the bits to mount it where the bottle cages go. It's a Topeak Micro Rocket, the aluminum version. $15-19 if you know where to look.
The only thing is, it's a presta valve-only pump. It's not too hard to get to 80-90 PSI.

tzvia
02-25-2012, 06:26 AM
This (http://www.zefal.com/en/mini-pumps/29-xtra-light.html) is the pump I carry on the road bike. It weighs 56g but is bigger than the typical pocket pump. It mounts on a bracket to the water bottle bosses. I've used it, it works well and weighs next to nothing. I don't have the hand strength to hold it and push against my other hand. So I always look for a place I can prop the wheel/pump head against (tree, rock) so I can push against something. One of those Lezine mini floor pump style frame pumps would be super easy to use but they weigh triple what my all carbon Zefal weighs. I was lucky and found it on sale at the LBS for $27 as it was his last one and I am sure they normally cost more but I don't know. Never seen one anywhere else.

On the commuter I use a Topeak. It's a good pump; easy to use, reliable and not too heavy.

I've used CO2 in the past. Carry the fitting and 2 cartridges and hope you don't get three flats? No thanks. I often ride alone so that's not an option. I also carry a schrader to presta valve adapter and a few bucks, thinking I can hit the gas station as a last resort. Never had to try it though.

EDIT> I just clicked WindingRoad's link to that Blackburn. That's a cool idea if it works; if I can find locally it will have a home on my commuter for sure. And I still carry the Mammoth MTN pump I bought back in the 90s for my Proflex on my Safire. Never had an issue with it.

ChristineO
02-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Ease of use is definitely a must, I think. The Topeak Morph seems pretty good also? I saw it on that link that Zefal link when I clicked on it.

Crankin
02-25-2012, 11:35 AM
I had the Topeak Road Morph and it works very well.
I only use it when I have my pannier/trunk bag on my Guru now, as neither this bike or my Kuota have room for a frame pump. Otherwise, I use CO2; never had an issue, except my own dumbness.

HillSlugger
02-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Best road pump I've used is the Topeak Road Morph. However, these days I trust in CO2, only.

Wahine
02-25-2012, 04:31 PM
After a long search, I feel like I finally have a really good road pump. Lezyne makes amazing pumps. I have a version of this pump (http://www.lezyne.com/hand-pumps#panel-4) and I love it. What I like the most about it is that there is a flexible hose the comes out of the center of the pump and screws onto your valve so that when you're at the side of the road, pumping like crazy, no matter how much you wiggle the valve connection holds and doesn't leak air. Also the pumps get up to 100 psi pretty easily. It's easily small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. I have one that is small enought to fit into my seat bag.

winddance
02-25-2012, 05:11 PM
After a long search, I feel like I finally have a really good road pump. Lezyne makes amazing pumps. I have a version of this pump (http://www.lezyne.com/hand-pumps#panel-4) and I love it. What I like the most about it is that there is a flexible hose the comes out of the center of the pump and screws onto your valve so that when you're at the side of the road, pumping like crazy, no matter how much you wiggle the valve connection holds and doesn't leak air. Also the pumps get up to 100 psi pretty easily. It's easily small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. I have one that is small enought to fit into my seat bag.

I have the Lezyne road drive on my bottle cage. I really appreciate the flexible hose!

ChristineO
02-26-2012, 04:12 PM
thank you all so much for the info!!!

goldfinch
02-26-2012, 04:21 PM
I have the Lezyne road drive on my bottle cage. I really appreciate the flexible hose!

Another vote for the Lezyne. It even has a gauge on the flexible hose. I have had five flats since I got down to Texas and the pump did its job.

Dogmama
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Best road pump I've used is the Topeak Road Morph. However, these days I trust in CO2, only.

Ditto. Faster, easier, smaller and get enough air to finish a ride. And I used to be a pump-addict.

Norse
03-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Ditto. Faster, easier, smaller and get enough air to finish a ride. And I used to be a pump-addict.

++1. I just carry 2 CO2 cartridges and that has worked fine - for several flats. :eek:

Catrin
03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
++1. I just carry 2 CO2 cartridges and that has worked fine - for several flats. :eek:

I think I seriously need to learn how to use these, with my hands as they are. I do have a decent pump with me but haven't needed it for myself as of yet. I know it takes a lot of pumping to air a tire and with a weak grip...I should have both.

Interesting thread. My little (well, not so little) pump that I carry in my hydration pack has a gauge on it - I like that.

Norse
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I think I seriously need to learn how to use these, with my hands as they are. I do have a decent pump with me but haven't needed it for myself as of yet. I know it takes a lot of pumping to air a tire and with a weak grip...I should have both.

The cartridges are easy to use. I taught myself by reading the package and then experimenting with a couple of cartridges in the basement. It doesn't have a gauge, but going by feel until I can get to a pump with a gauge has always worked. I always found the mini-pumps too hard to use and I could never seem to quite get enough air in the tire. Your mileage may vary.

Catrin
03-13-2012, 09:20 AM
I always have my hydration pack with me so storage isn't a problem. I've been leery of the CO2 cartridges since I've had to loan my pump to more than a few riders who had cartridges that failed on them...

Norse
03-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Hmm... I've never had a cartridge fail. Maybe it's the type of pump/cartridge? I use the non-threaded version FWIW.

tzvia
03-24-2012, 06:31 AM
{BUMP}
When I clicked on WindingRoad's link to this (http://www.blackburndesign.com/pumps/airstik-longneck-evo.html) Blackburn pump I knew I had to get one for the commuter. Well I did and it's not a bad little pump. Not as bulky as the Topeak or Lezyne foot peg style pumps and it can be used as a regular or foot peg style. It's not metal but feels sturdy. I've already tried it on my MTB and road bike (has a switch for HP or volume) and it works great. I had entertained getting the Lezyne hand pump with hose, but I would have to use opposing hands to pump it, and the reality is I just can't do that because I have carpal tunnel. I had always thought, if the hose just came out the side of the pump instead of the end, I could put the pump head against the ground and get my weight behind it, why don't they just do that... Blackburn did, and a folding footpeg makes it easy to get the pressure out of it I need. I'm liking this pump. It sure beats finding a rock to rest the pump head on and hoping you don't mess up the valve stem.

Owlie
03-24-2012, 03:07 PM
I always have my hydration pack with me so storage isn't a problem. I've been leery of the CO2 cartridges since I've had to loan my pump to more than a few riders who had cartridges that failed on them...

The BF has only ever had one cartridge fail on him, and I've had only one occasion to use one, so I'm not a useful sample. I carry both cartridges and a pump, because tires have a tendency to jump off the rim sometimes...

Maye
03-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Bought the Lezyne today. Thanks for all the recommendations!! :)

MilkMaid
09-24-2012, 11:12 AM
I have a "Lezyne Alloy Drive" pump, used it once when I first bought it, July of this year, then it shook apart while on my bike. Went to use it today when fixing a flat, and poof, it's not working, came apart in my hands. The other day on a ride something on the bike started rattling, stopped, thinking it was my front tire, but discovered it was the pump, couldn't figure out what was up, it was still in the mount, hadn't been bumped or anything. So pissed.

MilkMaid
09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey, wanted to add an update. I e-mailed the Lezyne company, they e-mailed back almost immediatly with a solution to the problem. Something vibrated loose, and they instructed on how to get it screwed in again. Bingo, it worked. Thank goodness, wasn't looking forward to having to find another pump. I put a little gorilla tape on the problem area so it won't unscrew anymore.