PDA

View Full Version : first set of tools

Barb
05-19-2003, 07:28 AM
I am going out to buy my first set of bike tools. I don't do much maintenace now but I am learning and want to be self sufficient on the road. My biggest problem is that I don't know anything about the different tool mfgs out there. Can anyone recommend a good basic set? Do I want to go with a multi tool? Is there a brand to go with or stay away from?

Thanks!

goddess1222
05-19-2003, 08:07 PM
stick with Park Tool. very good tools. your lbs should be able to help you determine what tools you will need.

Irulan
05-20-2003, 06:52 AM
The advice I've been given is to buy them as you need them. Multi tools are good for putting in your bag for trail repairs, but I think for a tool box you can do better with single items

Irulan

peepsmack
06-25-2003, 04:36 PM
Yeah, definitely buy as needed. Don't know if you saw the thread about me taking apart my entire bike and overhauling just about everything, but so far I've only needed to buy six tools. All I had before was my little seatbag multitool and a crescent wrench!

So, get 'em one at a time.

Jessie

xeney
04-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Although I'm generally a fairly competent person, I am married to MacGyver so I tend to not touch tools. (I have other fine qualities, and he is like a cross between MacGyver and Marshall on Alias.) But he says he can't work on my new road bike because he doesn't have the right tools for the Campy components, and has hinted that the right tools would make a very nice birthday present. Sounds good to me; I buy him a birthday present that allows him to work on my bike? Sweet.

But ... uh, what would be the basics here? I don't want to ask at the bike shop because the owner is kind of a doof and will probably accidentally spill the beans the next time my husband wanders in. You all know everything, help me out! Thanks!

spazzdog
04-15-2005, 04:52 AM
I have an Alien multi-tool that I keep on my bike.

The other thing is a 15mm open end wrench (for pedals) and newly acquired, a torq wrench that I can set the torq to avoid overtightening/undertightening things.

That's all I use, so far.

SadieKate
04-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Hey, Xeney! Where have you been?

Park Tools (http://www.parktool.com/) - way to go. Their site has everything including a cool point and click bike diagram so you know what to buy. Also, recommended lists: Home Mechanic Tools (http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/toollists.shtml)

Yes, sometimes specific brands take specific tools (such as RaceFace and Campy) but Park will tell you what works. The basic tools are usually available at a decent LBS.

Sadie "third hand" Kate for Bubba, the WrenchBoy and Love of my Life

CorsairMac
04-15-2005, 02:06 PM
Although I'm generally a fairly competent person, I am married to MacGyver so I tend to not touch tools. (I have other fine qualities, and he is like a cross between MacGyver and Marshall on Alias.) But he says he can't work on my new road bike because he doesn't have the right tools for the Campy components, and has hinted that the right tools would make a very nice birthday present. Sounds good to me; I buy him a birthday present that allows him to work on my bike? Sweet.

But ... uh, what would be the basics here? I don't want to ask at the bike shop because the owner is kind of a doof and will probably accidentally spill the beans the next time my husband wanders in. You all know everything, help me out! Thanks!

Then get a gift card. My LBS carries them so I'm betting yours does to. That way he can buy the tools he needs to "why yes dear I would LOVE to work on Your bike"!!! Ain't you the lucky one!!!!

xeney
04-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Ha! If I buy him a gift card he will totally spend it to upgrade his new bike to Ultegra. Which is fine since it's for his birthday and all. But that's actually not a bad idea, thanks! I can let the bike shop guys work on my bike for a while longer.

Hey, Xeney! Where have you been?

Hey, SadieKate! I've been finishing my master's degree and not riding my bike AT ALL this winter. But I just bought myself a mountain bike as a reward for finishing my comprehensives, and we took an impromptu 50-mile ride this morning (but not on the mountain bike, that would kill me), so I seem to be back in the saddle. So to speak.

SadieKate
04-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Xeney, welcome back! Keep an eye our posts and come join the rides. We've got members all over Northern CA getting acquainted.

Congratulations on the Master's. Big pat on the back!