PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoeing in mountains

shootingstar
01-20-2012, 11:14 AM
is where you can get a real workout, particularily if there's deep snow and in wilderness areas where there's not much around.

We went to the Rocky Mountains, near the ever popular Lake Louise area. http://cyclewriteblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/tramline.jpg

I always forget how much energy is required to snowshoe in the wilderness mountain areas.

limewave
01-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Wow, that is beautiful! I would LOVE to snowshoe in the mountains one day. Unfortunately, we have no mountains near us . . . just sand dunes and lake-effect snow. That can be a good workout too. DH and mine first date was Snow shoeing. And come to think of it, what a weird coincidence, today is the 9-year anniversary of our first date and we are going snowshoeing tonight! :D Here's a photo from when we went last year. No sand dunes in the picture, but we just had a big snowfall and I was breaking trail. So. much. work.
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/166885_10150096856382570_696712569_6108440_6146624_n.jpg

limewave
01-20-2012, 12:18 PM
. . . and hopefully I don't badly sprain my ankle and end the night with a trip to the ER--which is what happened 9 years ago tonight :rolleyes:

Crankin
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM
Jealous.

spokewench
01-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Not enough snow this year! Usually go a lot and straight up the hills but not too much this year:(

ridebikeme
01-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Funny this should appear in the forum today, as I'm heading out to do a small (2100 ft) tomorrow. It definitely will get you in GREAT shape for cycling, and whatever else you choose to do.:cool:

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

lph
01-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Funny, snowshoeing for pleasure has never caught on here. People buy snowshoes strictly for practical uses, fetching water or wood at a chalet in the mountains, hunters and ice-climbers will use them because theyśre nimble in the woods, snowboarders will use them to get up a mountainside because they're easier to carry down than skis. But I don't think I've ever met a Norwegian just snowshoeing for the fun of it instead of skiing.

shootingstar
01-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Funny, snowshoeing for pleasure has never caught on here. People buy snowshoes strictly for practical uses, fetching water or wood at a chalet in the mountains, hunters and ice-climbers will use them because theyśre nimble in the woods, snowboarders will use them to get up a mountainside because they're easier to carry down than skis. But I don't think I've ever met a Norwegian just snowshoeing for the fun of it instead of skiing.

Interesting. Sounds like alot of Norwegians are like some Europeans might treat cycling --utilitarian, nothing special. I don't know about other parts of the U.S. but at least I noticed that 12 years ago, snowshoeing in British Columbia wasn't as popular back then. This is based on information we would try to find on trails, way more limited range of snowshoe models to buy, etc.

Crankin
01-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Just came back from my first snowshoe of the year. Since I didn't leave until about 3:50, I didn't have time to do the whole neighborhood/local conservation trail, which is about 4 miles door to door. I wasn't quite sure when it actually gets dark. So, I walked down the street and accessed the trail, walked to the junction of the main trail, turned around, and then back, up a trail which is a very steep climb, at least 10- 20% grade. There is one point when you get to the top of the climb where if you turn around and look down the slope, you feel like you are deep in the woods in Vermont, because you haven't gone quite far enough to see where the trail takes you back out to the street.
I love living where I can do this, particularly just after a fresh snow. I wasn't the first one out there, though, because there were both x country ski and snow shoe tracks on part of the trail.
I think I must have gone about 2.5 miles.