PDA

View Full Version : Kick-Boxing

limewave
01-09-2012, 05:21 AM
Every fiber of my body is tired today.

I did kick-boxing for the first time. The class was a full 60 minutes and we used what I think is called a boxing tumbler. I had my core engaged the entire time. At one point we alternated from running laps to balancing on a tire and swinging a sledge-hammer. The squatting, the lunging, the kicking, the punching. It was aggressive, intense--exactly my kind of workout. Plus I've been reading a ton of Lee Child novels recently, I was feeling the hand-to-hand combat vibe. At one point I was tempted to try head-butting the tumbler :)

Definitely going back next week. Starting to think about joining a boxing gym.

yellow
01-09-2012, 05:53 PM
We have a Thai boxing gym in these parts that has a lot of non-contact classes (that is, you don't contact other people, just the bags and whatnot). I have been very intrigued by this because I need to find something I can do that doesn't load the spine, and this seems like something that might work. Your report was another push in the direction to go and try it out. I need to get out of my do-nothing-but-run-and-core-exercises rut :rolleyes:

limewave
01-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Go for it! I cannot believe how much I truly loved the kick-boxing class. I was expecting something akin to Tae-Bo. This was much different. Really aggressive, really tough. My entire core was engaged. I have a bad back and I was getting worried this would aggravate it. But the boxing stance seemed to lock my hips and low back in place--which is good. Afterwards I felt loose and limber--tired and exhausted--but loose and limber.

Giulianna23
01-10-2012, 06:47 AM
I remember a few years ago when I was "In Shape" :) ...I was at my ideal weight and thought I was tough I tried sparring with a boxing trainer friend of mine at the gym ..I just hard punched using the gloves and hitting the pads with him for only 10 minutes non stop. And I was sooo damn tired. For the next few days I couldn't even cough .....my ribs were soo sore I could barely breath. It felt like someone took a bat and hit me on my ribs all night long. Boxing is incredible cardio/strenght/power workout. No wonder why all them fighters have them six packs... LOL