PDA

View Full Version : Commuting: building mileage and managing cold

thinpaperwings
12-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm in Portland, OR and I want to commute to work by bike. I have two problems with this commute that I would love some help with: (1) How do I build up the mileage so that I won't be too tired, and (2) How do I handle the cold?

It's a 7 mile ride each way, with hills. For a few weeks I was biking twice a week, but I found I was very tired, and too tired to ride a third time each week. Then I got lazy for a couple of weeks, and now I want to start up again. I've read about the 10% or 20% rule, and I could do that by biking short rides on the weekend. Is that the best way?

My concern about the cold: it's in the mid 30s when I ride. I have warm tights that I wear over my chamois shorts. I also have leggings to wear. For the top I wear a short sleeved jersey, with a winter base layer underneath and/or a long sleeved polar fleece top, and a wind-breaking jacket. I wear a headband and my helmet has a cover. I'm thinking of wearing a balaclava since it's colder now than it was two weeks ago. I feel like rain pants would really help with the cold. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to find pants that fit my short waist: shebeest is great, but I haven't found any really cold weather clothes from them. Perhaps I just need to tough it out and learn to deal with the cold, but it's difficult to make my muscles work when they're so cold! Does anyone have any tips for dealing with it, especially when it's both cold and wet?

I would love to be able to bike to and from work all five days a week, even in the cold and rain. Thanks in advance for the help!

Trek420
12-05-2005, 09:59 AM
welcome to TE thinpaper. I'm sure you'll get a lot of help here. And surf on over to the getting to know you thread, that way you'll learn more than you want to about us, and we get to know you :)

mainerider
12-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi - I'm from the other Portland (Maine) and I ride all winter (at least once or twice a week if at all possible). I don't ride when it is below 10 degrees or if the roads haven't been plowed. I do switch over to my mountain bike in the winter even on the roads because of black ice, pot holes, etc.

All the gear you mentioned seems appropriate but you didn't mention what you are wearing on your feet and hands. These are the two areas that I find I can get uncomfortable. I have some heavy duty gloves but others I know wear two layers (liner and glove) and some even use heat packs. I also wear shoe covers over my shoes and when it is really cold will use plastic bags over my socks. I love "woolie boolie" cycling socks.

You don't mention what else you do for exercise but I'd suggest starting out riding two times a week (plus a weekend ride). Check the weather forecast on Sundays and pick out the nicest couple of days for the week. Another option, to build up your endurance, is to drive into work one day with your bike, ride your bike home (if you can leave your car at work). Then the next morning ride into work, drive home.

Let me know how it goes.

Trekhawk
12-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm in Portland, OR and I want to commute to work by bike. I have two problems with this commute that I would love some help with: (1) How do I build up the mileage so that I won't be too tired, and (2) How do I handle the cold?
It's a 7 mile ride each way, with hills. For a few weeks I was biking twice a week, but I found I was very tired, and too tired to ride a third time each week. Then I got lazy for a couple of weeks, and now I want to start up again. I've read about the 10% or 20% rule, and I could do that by biking short rides on the weekend. Is that the best way?
My concern about the cold: it's in the mid 30s when I ride. I have warm tights that I wear over my chamois shorts. I also have leggings to wear. For the top I wear a short sleeved jersey, with a winter base layer underneath and/or a long sleeved polar fleece top, and a wind-breaking jacket. I wear a headband and my helmet has a cover. I'm thinking of wearing a balaclava since it's colder now than it was two weeks ago. I feel like rain pants would really help with the cold. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to find pants that fit my short waist: shebeest is great, but I haven't found any really cold weather clothes from them. Perhaps I just need to tough it out and learn to deal with the cold, but it's difficult to make my muscles work when they're so cold! Does anyone have any tips for dealing with it, especially when it's both cold and wet?
I would love to be able to bike to and from work all five days a week, even in the cold and rain. Thanks in advance for the help!

I have the Firewall tights by Sugoi and I love them. I wear them over my normal bike shorts and they keep me pretty warm and dry. Maybe wearing a little cap under your helmet as well as a helmet cover will help keep in a bit more warmth. I have a smartwool one and another type by Descente which cover the ears as well. This and the helmet cover help keep out that rain and cold.

Hope you find what works for you soon and happy winter riding. :)

PS Make sure you tuck those bottom layer jerseys into your tights to keep that lower back warm.

CorsairMac
12-05-2005, 10:38 AM
My first question to you would be: do you eat anything before you ride - either way? My commute is 6 miles each way with the ride home involving a climb back up the mountain.
When I first started commuting I did what you did: I rode Tues and Thurs for the first few weeks, then went to Mon, Wed, Fri for a few weeks etc etc until I was commuting every day. What I did find was I needed to eat something about 20 mins before I started my commute home or I would just wear out on the last big push to home. I also try to eat my dinner within the 1/2 hour window after getting home: due to the climb I have to make it seems to help. Since your commute involves hills - try elevating your legs for a while in the evenings when you ride. Sooner seems to be better than later but I've elevated my legs as much as 3 hours after I got home and seemed to feel some benefit from it. (don't ask me what...could be all mental - actually knowing me it probably IS all mental! ;) )
As for the cold - I find that starting out cold for a commute is the worse possible way to commute - the ride isn't long enough or hard enough to get me warm by the time I get to work so I end up cold all day! :( You might look into rainpants as you suggested: make sure they are wind and water resistent if not proof, it helps to keep the ugly stuff out and keep the warmth in. For my commute this morning it was 21 degrees with a wind chill of 11. The last 2 miles of my ride involved riding in a head wind. My riding outfit was:

Winter Weight UnderArmour, Lightweight Long Underwear, Jersey and Wind Jacket on top
Fleece Leg Warmers, SHorts, Tights, and Rain Pants on the bottoms.
Polypro underliners, mid-weight cycling gloves and overgloves on my hands
SmartWools and REI rainsocks on my feet with toe covers.

I made it to work with very little frozen stiff and the nice thing about layers is I can pack some of them away for the ride home since it's "supposed" to be warmer! (yarite) or change the layers around each commute to fit the weather. Several ppl here will suggest other things they use including plastic bags on their feet, sweatpants, fleece pants - etc. You might have to play around with some combos to find what works best for you but don't give it up......commuting to work makes Such a huge difference in your day!!

My winter commutes are always slower and some days it feels like my muscles never get warmed up - on those days I just ride for the beauty of nature and don't worry about how long it takes me. and remind myself that I only have 3 more months of this and riding in the winter keeps me in condition for spring And riding in all those clothes on a heavier bike might actually Improve my conditioning for spring! (ahhh the these we tell ourselve to motivate us! :rolleyes: )

and DRINK DRINK DRINK - a lot of ppl forget to drink in the winter coz it's cold and they don't feel thirsty but you need water just as much in the winter as you do in the summer. My evening commute takes me 30-40 minutes depending on the wind and if my water bottle isn't at Least half empty by the time I get home, I make myself drink a huge glass or 2 of water right away.

Hope this all helps and yes: if you get a chance check out the "getting to know you" thread under open and learn even more about us....and tell us something about you!!

and Good Luck and Have Fun!

PS: Lights...don't forget headlights, reflectors and reflector strips, blinkies - whatever it takes to make sure you can see and be seen!!

thinpaperwings
12-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Mainerider: On my hands I wear PearlIzium gloves that look like ski gloves and are nice and toasty. For my feet I wear thin or medium weight wool socks and mountain style clipless shoes. The shoes are a bit meshy, so I also have Burley shoe covers, but I haven't used them yet. Strangely enough, I feel most cold from my knees to my elbows. It seems more common to be cold at your extremities, but for me it's my core.

CorsairMac: I don't always eat before the ride. Sometimes I ate a cup of oatmeal before the ride, and sometimes I would pack it with me and eat it when I got to work. I would usually eat something in the afternoon, a couple of hours before leaving work. I did feel like I wasn't getting enough protein, so that could be part of the problem. I also think that I wasn't drinking enough during the ride. Because I wore my backpack, I didn't have my Camelbak with me to suck on, and I don't have an easy-to-drink-from water bottle on my bike. I ended up only drinking at stop lights. Also, I bet if I warmed up the water before I leave I would be more tempted to drink and it would help warm me up inside.

I think you're right that I'll just have to play around with it. It's definitely worth it, but I just wish it weren't so cold when I get the combinations wrong!

I think another part of my tiredness was that I also started taking a martial arts class, which was an entirely new form of exercise for my body. I kept telling myself that I should be fine, but perhaps I was tired because my body was busy healing from class and from falling off (or more like it, on) my bike (still getting used to the clipless :o ).

As for other exercise: before I started doing the bike commuting, I was mostly running and weight lifting. I would run about twice a week and lift weights two or three times a week. I stopped doing both of those in order to have enough energy for biking and martial arts. I've stopped the martial arts class, so now all I have is biking, and then once I increase the biking, or at least feel like I have enough energy, I'll pick up weight training again.

So, it sounds like I just need to play around with different layer combinations and learn what works for me. I'll take a look at the Sugoi firwall tights. I'll drink more water and try to eat closer to when I bike. Not taking martial arts should help.

Thanks for the help and advice. More is always welcome : ).
Cheers!

helga
12-06-2005, 08:39 AM
I live in Oakland and ride in the hills between here and Berkeley, and it has really been COLD! I bought a pair of fleece-lined tights which I wear under a pair of long warm overpants that I bought years ago at REI. On top, I have a long sleeve Hot Chili thermal top under a long-sleeve Sheebeest jersey. A neighbor loaned me a pair of very warm Hot Finger gloves and my head is kept warm with a cap under my helmet. For my feet, I have silk liners under wool socks, and since my feet are STILL cold, I have ordered shoe covers from Team Estrogen. Added to this, I put on a screaming yellow wind breaker jacket for down hill runs. The advantage to having these extra layers of clothing combined with the neon color is that drivers now mistake me for an emergency vehicle and pull over when I scream up behind them yelling, "BRRRRR!"

mainerider
12-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks Helga for the image of you flying downhill screaming brrrr....

CorsairMac
12-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Strangely enough, I feel most cold from my knees to my elbows. It seems more common to be cold at your extremities, but for me it's my core.

Then wear a second pair of shorts and a second short sleeved jersey or wind vest - that should keep the core covered better. Also, the advice of tucking in at least one of those layers is excellent advice.

I don't always eat before the ride. Sometimes I ate a cup of oatmeal before the ride, and sometimes I would pack it with me and eat it when I got to work. I would usually eat something in the afternoon, a couple of hours before leaving work. I did feel like I wasn't getting enough protein, so that could be part of the problem.
Even for a short commute you should have something to eat, and I find when I commute in the cold I need more - at least in the carbo family. Some days I just ate an apple or banana before the ride home but I at least ate something. And I never ride to work without breakfast - particularly when it's cold.

I also think that I wasn't drinking enough during the ride. Because I wore my backpack, I didn't have my Camelbak with me to suck on, and I don't have an easy-to-drink-from water bottle on my bike. I ended up only drinking at stop lights. Also, I bet if I warmed up the water before I leave I would be more tempted to drink and it would help warm me up inside.
Define "not easy-to-drink" from.....is the bottle too tall to fit between the top tube and the cage?? try a shorter bottle or if you don't have any, use a bottled water bottle and bend the cage to hold the bottle in place.
too hard to pull out of the cage?? you should be able to bend out the cage to fit the bottle better.
not comfortable reaching the bottle and drinking while riding? practice by reaching down to your water bottle with one hand while holding the bike with the other. Then practice just pulling the bottle out and putting it back. Next thing ya know - you'll be drinking water like a pro!
I'm asking coz your water bottle should be biker friendly - some days it may be the best friend you've got on your bike! ;)

thinpaperwings
12-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Haha: "not easy to drink from" means that it's a screw-top bottle. While I unscrew tops off of bottles with one hand at work, that seems a little sketchy to do while I ride and with large gloves on. However, there's nothing stopping me from finding and buying a real water bottle this weekend, the kind you can open up with your mouth. Or I could just put my platypus in my backpack.

I'm also going to buy a larger windbreaker this weekend. The one I currently have is more for spring, isn't waterproof, and doesn't have enough room under it for all the layers I need without making me feel "stuffed".

Helga, I also enjoyed the image of you flying down hills screaming brrr.

Today and tomorrow I wasn't/am not able to bike for other reasons, but I will bike on Thursday and let you all know how it goes.

MomOnBike
12-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Have you considered warmed water (me, I'd use hot tea with much honey, but that's just me) in one of those water bladders you carry on your back? (Camelbacks?)

The way I see it, you'd have a warm beverage that's easy to get to, and you'd feel the warmth of the water/tea on your back. How could you lose?

It might be worth a try. I'd do some extensive testing myself, but my bike just doesn't handle slick roads well at all.

Mom(watching the snow fall)OffBike

thinpaperwings
12-11-2005, 03:18 PM
I didn't make it on Thursday. It was just still too cold for me. However, I realized that what I need is a wind-stopping jacket and pants. My clothes are warm enough until a gust of wind goes by, and then all my heat is lost. The Pearl Izium jacket doesn't cut it. I went to the large branch of my LBS but they didn't have anything that fit me. I am short, with a shorter than average torso. The pants come up to my ribcage and the jackets are too long and boxy. I found a gore-tex windstopper jacket that I liked, but the person at the store told me that it wouldn't keep me warm in the rain. I've been looking for a month now and haven't found jackets or pants that fit me. I'm looking at reviews online, but they don't usually tell you whether they're good for women with short or long torsos.

If anyone has any recommendations for jackets or pants that block wind and rain I would be grateful.

Thanks!

RoadVixen
12-11-2005, 05:21 PM
Not from experience (I don't own one yet) but I've been eyeing that Castelli Chrysalis Jacket on TE- rated "warmest", mostly waterproof, and says it's 360 windproof (also looks pretty bad %$$ too!) It is really expensive, but perhaps Santa baby also shops at TE?! Sounds like ya'll all need it much more than I do w/ your ZERO degree weather, but being from MS, I FREEEEEEZE when the temp goes anywhere near the 30's!!! And, as it's usually not much colder than that, we tend to get a lot of rain (which really sucks) in winter. Then mix our ungodly humidity w/ wind & it can be pretty darn uncomfortable.

Hope you find something that works for ya!

RoadVixen
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Oh, also- don't know how warm they'd be, but Marmot Pre-Cip pants ROCK in the rain! They're by far the driest pants I've ever tried!

Dianyla
01-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Hello, from another webfoot! :)

I've given up trying to find the perfect jacket for warmth and moisture, so I just dress in layers like I do when I go hiking. For winter riding around here, I usually have the following on:

first layer:
bike shorts
some thin tank or shirt that will move moisture
smartwool cycling socks

middle warmth layer:
pearl izumi fleece tights
long-sleeve fleece top (thriftstore!)

outer waterproof layer:
REI waterproof bike pants (blocks wind too)
Gore-Tex rain jacket (blocks wind too)
Helmet rain cover
balaclava
Pearl Izumi winter gloves
Pearl Izumi water/windproof shoe coverings

Another point about being cold a lot and feeling fatigued - you might want to get your iron checked. Lagging performance that gets better when you take a few weeks off can indicate low iron. Intolerance to cold is another symptom.

RoadRaven
01-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Ahhh... I am SOOOOO pleased I do not have the dilemma of wanting/needing a ride and the weather being THIS inclement and cold...

And if I did... wow, what a wealth of wisdom being shared here.

As always, I am very impressed by the depth of advice and suggestions given here... wishing you well and much warmth, thinpaper...

Duck on Wheels
01-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Hi! Just got back from Christmas holidays in Norway. Haven't been out biking in the cold, but been walking a lot testing some cold weather gear I picked up "back home". I was skeptical when I saw a climbing/trekking shop advertised a wool bra. I envisaged some scratchy saggy homespun homeknit thing. Not! It's the most comfortable bra I've ever worn. Even comfier than the Playtex 18hr bra. It's by Aclima, and it kept my boobs toasty warm in weather down to -20C (5F), but wicks well and doesn't overheat indoors. Good support too, and even without padded straps no binding. Next trip home I'm getting more of these! I also got some lightweight wool/silk blend underwear that's pretty good in moderate cold, and some duolayer stuff (polyester liner + washable wool top layer) by Devold that is great for extreme cold. The top also has an extra bit of length at the back that I imagine would be handy for biking (why else would bike jerseys have that feature?), though I plan on just doing spin classes through the winter here. Tried biking in the cold one day and though I was warm enough everywhere else it gave me a splitting headache.

Geonz
01-11-2006, 07:36 AM
When I started commuting (7 miles each way) I didn't *have* a big warm coat. So I would wear a t-shirt or silk long underwear under a sweatshirt, under two windbreakers. Since I'm riding through town, there usually isn't *that* much wind anyway. If it gets down to the single digits, it's a turtleneck and the silk longjohns and the sweatshirt and the two jackets.
My thighs are what gets coldest (and then there are the alligator ankles), but I have one really good pair of warm fleecies, and if I put on thin tights, the warm fleecies, and thick sweatpants, I can get across town before the cold gets through the layers. By then, I'm putting out enough heat to get things moving, too.
I have some warm gloves but I think I'm better insulated than most people. I also noticed that it takes between 7 and 10 minutes for my heater to kick in - so if I've still got the bike on the trainer, I'll get on and give myself a few minutes' head start before I even walk out the door.
When I got a big ol' LL Bean Warm Thing, I fouind it was 'way too warm. I want more layers anyway, to keep the wind off. So I usually do the two-jacket thing... and maybe it *looks* like I'm wearing everything I own, but that just makes drivers treat me more kindly :-) :) That also makes it easier to make adjustments for higher temps when I'm going home, as sometimes happens.
I can't help with the tired thing except it's prob'ly a food thing. I've never been too tired to ride and it wakes me up and energizes me... if I *don't* ride I'm yawning all morning. I would definietly explore the Iron thing.

CorsairMac
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
When I got a big ol' LL Bean Warm Thing, I fouind it was 'way too warm. I want more layers anyway, to keep the wind off. So I usually do the two-jacket thing... and maybe it *looks* like I'm wearing everything I own, but that just makes drivers treat me more kindly :-) :)

Nah - I think they treat us more kindly in the winter coz they feel sorry for us. I think they think we don't have any other way of getting to work - us poor dears eh? LOL

MomOnBike
01-12-2006, 06:43 AM
It could be that the drivers try to stay out of our way 'cause we're obviously nuts riding a bike in such awful weather.

They may have a point there...(she says remembering some rides she took when any sane person would be safe at home - but the rides were glorious!)

Which brings up a new(ish) thought. Who remembers a (any) drive to work? I'd almost bet you remember more bike commutes than drives - good, bad or just a ride. Your bike builds more than muscles and cardio-vascular health, it builds memories. I file that under Good Things.

/lecture

Geonz
01-13-2006, 12:21 PM
This week has been strange - I've driven in three of five days :( :( :(
I blame less exercise (even though I did the indoor training ride Tues. night) for forgetting what I was doign and leaving my bike in the hall by my office Thursday morning... public safety made me SQUIRM before they'd give it back, but I also know they don't like filling out theft reports (and, ahem, they pulled it out of the stairwell next door when I stuck it there while I looked for my lock a month ago, so I USED UP my stupid points...)

But my Free Radical is on its way... then I can carry *everything* and commute *everywhere.* (That's not the one... but what it'll look like...)

http://xtracycle.com/albums/public/Ilan_Eyman.sized.jpg (http://www.xtracycle.com)

Crankin
01-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I am also short and had difficulty finding rain pants/jackets. I got a pair of pants from Perfomance (extra small) that have velcro on the ankles, so you can bunch up any extra material. They work well; I wore them in Europe during our tour this summer (it was about 50 and raining out). I also have a pair of wool/lycra pants from Ibex that I wear x country skiing, with thin long underwear. i have worn these mountain biking and road cycling in the winter, with shorts underneath and they are very warm. I have hiked in them at -7 degrees!

nicolezoie
01-23-2006, 09:38 AM
I've been commuting in the low 30s, and while I think I finally figured out my right clothing combo for my 16 mile commute, it often takes me *hours* to warm up afterwards. As soon as I'm off my bike, changed and cooled off from the ride, no amount of hats, socks, warm sweats, coffee, help me warm up. We don't have showers at work, so that's not an option. :(

Any suggestions?

DirtDiva
01-23-2006, 11:06 AM
It could actually be that you need to eat more after your ride. I often find that if I've been a bit cold for quite a while that I warm up at last after a meal. It is the burning of calories that creates body heat in the first place, after all.

CorsairMac
01-23-2006, 01:06 PM
I've been commuting in the low 30s, and while I think I finally figured out my right clothing combo for my 16 mile commute, it often takes me *hours* to warm up afterwards. As soon as I'm off my bike, changed and cooled off from the ride, no amount of hats, socks, warm sweats, coffee, help me warm up. We don't have showers at work, so that's not an option. :(

Any suggestions?

drink hot/warm liquids. You need to get your core warmed back up so drink a cup of coffee or tea or soup. Heck some days I just drink a cup of warm water. If you can tolerate it hot right away, drink it hot. I'm usually fine the first 30-45 mins after I get here THEN my core cools down and that's when I get chilly. I've found hot liquids help.

ladyjai
01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
hot liquids and a personal space heater on your toes :-D

nuthatch
01-23-2006, 05:47 PM
I've got the same problem - almost like that efficient furnace turns itself down to "vacation" setting when I stop moving (whether from an actual commute or my morning trainer ride). I load on the clothes and everyone at work laughs at me. The only thing that works is getting up and doing a few jumping jacks or such to rev things back up. I don't think I'm the ultra-fit athlete or anything but my heartrate goes way down, body temp way down and brrrrr!! Maybe an electric blankie at work?? :p

mainerider
01-24-2006, 09:20 AM
I have this problem too. I haven't thought too much about what I eat and drink after a ride, usually whatever is on hand, will give the hot stuff a try.

thinpaperwings
02-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I figured I should give an update, and thank you all for your wonderful advice.

I found a Novara waterproof windbreaking jacket that, while rather large on me, breaks the wind very nicely and makes a huge difference for my ride. The weather hasn't been as cold as it was before, so I don't know if it will stand up to near-freezing temperatures, but so far it has been great.

I've also gotten a better water bottle and am drinking more on my ride: I've noticed a big difference there, too. Thanks for pointing out how important drinking is during the ride.

A third difference is that I've changed my commute so that I don't ride through downtown anymore, and I have fewer lights to stop at. Most of the ride is along the river, and while it gets windy, I stay warm because I don't have to stop.

Overall, I think the biggest improvement is the windbreaking jacket.

Thanks again!
Sara