PDA

View Full Version : winter arrives

Surlygirl
12-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Well girls, it looks like old man winter has reared his ugly head. Time to break out the trainers and it looks like we may get 6 or more on Monday night. ahhhhhhh. :( Corsairmac tell me its warm there.

massbikebabe
12-04-2005, 06:12 PM
and the kids won't have school on Tuesday :( Those days drive me nuts!! I usually end up playing short order cook all day!! Once again...I HATE WINTER!

karen

Zub_Zub
12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Winter? Whats this winter you are talking about? Its summer here. The sun was shinning this afternoon. Pity i was stuck at work:(

CorsairMac
12-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Well girls, it looks like old man winter has reared his ugly head. Time to break out the trainers and it looks like we may get 6 or more on Monday night. ahhhhhhh. :( Corsairmac tell me its warm there.

hows about I tell you it's sunny and gorgeous?? - sky that robins-egg blue you can only seem to find here in the southwest with not a cloud in sight! Truly a clear crisp day (with a current temp of 34 down from 39 just an hour ago...I am NOT looking forward to my commute home)

But No Snow! ;)

I'm thinking we Both need to smack Zub-Zub.....oh yeah....that's right...when WE have summer here and are enjoying the warmth She'll have winter There! Ain't life Sweet??!! :p

Surlygirl
12-05-2005, 12:21 PM
Ah CorsairMac you never fail me, although 34 is not that warm girl. If I'm going to fly half way across the country it better be a heck of a lot warmer than that. ;)
As for Zub Zub should we tell her what happens when she mocks the New England TE girls. :eek: It may snow in New Zealand for the first time in summer.
Actually Zub Zub I'm a big fan of New Zealand. My brother flew for the Navy out of Christ Church to Antarctica and I've always wanted to see the gardens of Ohinetahi. Enjoy your summer, CorsairMac and I will get get you back.

Zub_Zub
12-05-2005, 10:59 PM
As for Zub Zub should we tell her what happens when she mocks the New England TE girls. :eek: It may snow in New Zealand for the first time in summer.
Actually Zub Zub I'm a big fan of New Zealand. My brother flew for the Navy out of Christ Church to Antarctica and I've always wanted to see the gardens of Ohinetahi. Enjoy your summer, CorsairMac and I will get get you back.
Ya know, Ive only ever been snowed on once. And that was in Germany!! But dont worry today it thundered and hailed i think!!

DeniseGoldberg
12-06-2005, 03:49 AM
How nice of that silly storm to veer out to sea! It's a gray but so far dry day in the Boston area (although I did hear that there is some of that white stuff over the Cape)...

I'm hoping for dry roads for the weekend (and yes, I know it's a few days away yet and the weather forecast that far out is suspect) so my bike & I can roll down the road together!

--- Denise

Surlygirl
12-06-2005, 04:11 AM
Ya know, Ive only ever been snowed on once. And that was in Germany!! But dont worry today it thundered and hailed i think!!

I rest my case. You have been warned. :D

RoadRaven
12-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Nods knowingly at Zub-Zub... great weather alright...

Shakes head at the other women here... winter??? what winter??? :cool:
Dunno what you are talking about...

*looks out window at clear sunny morning, sheds another layer of clothes and opens a window...*

:p

DirtDiva
12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Um, it's supposed to get to 29°C in Christchurch today and it's not even a Nor'Wester! :p Never fear, I'll get my comeupance for bragging - that's twenty degrees warmer than the warmest day in London for ages and I may quite literally melt. Sure will be nice to bust out the shorts though... :cool:

CorsairMac
12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
:( :( :(

The high today isn't even going to reach 32! There's apparently a "polar express" that's come down thru the southwest and has dropped temps 30-50 degress below normal. I don't wanna be here anymore - I wanna go live with the NZ gals for the winter! lol I just kept telling myself on my commute this AM it Would get better and somebody, Somewhere was having colder weather than me!

I promise you'll be the first to know when it warms back up again - probably sometime in Jan when you're buried so deep in snow you can't leave the house! ;)

Surlygirl
12-07-2005, 12:00 PM
CorsairMac it appears we have a couple of wise guys from down under who have not heeded the warnings. (makes mental note to rib them in July). I think I have you beat today. It was 18 this morning when I got up and didn't get much above 25 all day and now the wind is honkin. More snow on Friday. Maybe New Zealand for the winter. I'd love to see their faces if we showed up at their doors, dressed to the hilt in winter gear. Hee Hee ;)

Trekhawk
12-07-2005, 12:36 PM
:( :( :(

The high today isn't even going to reach 32! There's apparently a "polar express" that's come down thru the southwest and has dropped temps 30-50 degress below normal. I don't wanna be here anymore - I wanna go live with the NZ gals for the winter! lol I just kept telling myself on my commute this AM it Would get better and somebody, Somewhere was having colder weather than me!

I promise you'll be the first to know when it warms back up again - probably sometime in Jan when you're buried so deep in snow you can't leave the house! ;)

Ok Corsair I had to go to the online conversion site to work out your temp in celsius and man thats cold. I thought riding here was getting cold but hey that is some serious cold air you got down there in NM. Im still learning about where what state is and its associated weather but I always imagined New Mexico as warm. Ha just goes to show how much I know about the USA weather.

traveller_62
12-07-2005, 03:59 PM
currently 18 F (-8 C) and its way down to single digits tonight. no significant snow yet here but the wind is picking up so the temperature will feel even colder.

if it gets balmy again like it is by CorsairMac ;) i'll be out on the road again!

for now it is all indoors.... yoga and spinn class and weight lifting!

- traveller

yellow
12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
There's apparently a "polar express" that's come down thru the southwest and has dropped temps 30-50 degress below normal.
Yes, Corsair, it's a-headed your way. Check out these temps from Wyoming (http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_story.php?wfo=riw&storyid=611&source=0) last night. This is the "Arctic Blast" that's making its way to you and dumped a ton of snow on us last night.

It's supposed to be 5 F in Salt Lake City tonight. I spent the better part of the day thawing the pipes in my *newly remodeled and new-to-me* house that resulted from the 12F last night. And then I heard that it's supposed to be even colder tonight. :( Much anxiety.

And for you northeasterners, this is cold to us! (Especially my recently-moved-from-California butt.)

massbikebabe
12-07-2005, 04:35 PM
Gotta tell you southwestern and California girls this story...

My little guy and I were watching the news tonight and they interviewed a few of you "cold" folk. Gotta tell you we were both snickering thru the whole thing, and then we checked our outdoor thermometer and it said 6 degrees farenh. We both started laughing and he said..."Mummy, those people out there are whimps!" This from my son who goes in the pool when the temp hits 65!

karen

Corsair...we ain't coming till you warm it up a bit for us!! :D

DeniseGoldberg
12-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm still not ready to hang my bike up for the season - but my bikes have informed me they are not riding in this cold! I had to stop at REI on my way home to pick up some more toe warmers, and when I came out there was snow swirling around. Hey - where did that come from? Luckily it stopped...

I'm still hoping for temps in the 30s for the weekend - then my wheels will hit the road!

Karen -
Your story made me laugh - as I'm sitting here watching the temperature drop! Maybe we should all join our TE friends out west!

--- Denise

Trekhawk
12-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Gotta tell you southwestern and California girls this story...

My little guy and I were watching the news tonight and they interviewed a few of you "cold" folk. Gotta tell you we were both snickering thru the whole thing, and then we checked our outdoor thermometer and it said 6 degrees farenh. We both started laughing and he said..."Mummy, those people out there are whimps!" This from my son who goes in the pool when the temp hits 65!

karen

Corsair...we ain't coming till you warm it up a bit for us!! :D

Ok this little Aussie cant even imagine that sort of cold.
The closest thing to real cold Ive experienced is camping in the South Island of NZ in Winter. Not sure how cold that was but it snowed a fair bit and until then I hadnt even seen snow.

Zub_Zub
12-07-2005, 11:06 PM
It was so hot today. It was overcast but i was stuck in a glass house from 7 to 11 and that was soooooo hot i drank one bottle of water in an hour!! Then i got shifted in to a plastic house. Not much cooler but it had heaps of shade its all good. And one day ill get pay back for all the bragging!

crazycanuck
12-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Alright...who stole summer? ZubZub did your comment get a spell put on Western Australia? It's not hot at all yet...if you have summer under your desk or in your garage, tell it to come back to WA please...(I'm beginning to think that the 40c days will come eventually but with a vengeance...)

As for winter...I have to say i miss -30c, snowdrifts, winchills, toques.......but not the black ice...Ahhhh....winter on the praries...

c

Surlygirl
12-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Alright...who stole summer? ZubZub did your comment get a spell put on Western Australia? It's not hot at all yet...if you have summer under your desk or in your garage, tell it to come back to WA please...(I'm beginning to think that the 40c days will come eventually but with a vengeance...)

As for winter...I have to say i miss -30c, snowdrifts, winchills, toques.......but not the black ice...Ahhhh....winter on the praries...

c

Have I got a deal for you crazycanuck. If you hurry we have a special deal running tomorrow. This offer includes temperatures in the teens, 5-11 inches of snow and wind starting early am. I'll even throw in the hot chocolate and three rowdy boys home from school. Don't wait, this offer expires at midnight.

massbikebabe
12-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Surly;

I'll throw another boy, and 2 bichon frise dogs who WILL NOT go outside when it is cold...(not even if they have to pee). And as a bonus, I'll throw in a crying seventeen year old female who is anxiously waiting to see if she is accepted at her first choice University. Gawd, I hate snow days!! I know I'll be a short order cook all day!

karen

crazycanuck
12-08-2005, 02:50 PM
YOur offer sounded wonderful until you added kids...Perhaps next year?

c

SadieKate
12-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Just remember it's what you are acclimated to. How about riding at 90-100+F? So, some of us are cold wimps.

Off to find my fleece socks now. :rolleyes:

Trekhawk
12-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Hey Sadiekate - how is the weather over your way? Is it foggy or are things clear at the moment. We keep getting these bright sunny days but of course not when I can ride. I think I would rather it was raining on the days I cant ride at least I wouldnt feel so bad about not being out on my bike.

SadieKate
12-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Clear, sunny and a tad breezy. If it weren't for the wind, I'd try riding . . . but I'm balance-challenged enough. Ask Kim and V, they can provide a better weather indicator for you unless stuff is coming from Canada.

Surlygirl
12-08-2005, 05:47 PM
Surly;

I'll throw another boy, and 2 bichon frise dogs who WILL NOT go outside when it is cold...(not even if they have to pee). And as a bonus, I'll throw in a crying seventeen year old female who is anxiously waiting to see if she is accepted at her first choice University. Gawd, I hate snow days!! I know I'll be a short order cook all day!

karen
Okay, you beat me with the 17 year old crying female. Besides, those kiddos are suppose to be taking care of you!!!

Crazycanuck, I can't believe the kids were the deal breaker. :rolleyes: Maybe they'll go out and play in the snow.

traveller_62
12-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Coastal Maine is getting slammed today. It's our first real snow storm of the year...we may get up to a foot by tomorrow morning!

Time to get out the cross country ski gear :)

-traveller

Trekhawk
12-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Coastal Maine is getting slammed today. It's our first real snow storm of the year...we may get up to a foot by tomorrow morning!
Time to get out the cross country ski gear :)
-traveller

I wish it would hurry up and snow here. I know you probably think Im crazy but us Aussie girls dont get to see much snow. Ive only got 18 more months to get my snow fix and then the only way I will see snow back home will be if I visit our few snow fields (which with global warming probably wont last much longer) or visit NZ again. So bring the snow on to my little part of the world please we goofy aussies are waiting. :)

traveller_62
12-09-2005, 09:03 AM
[QUOTE=Trekhawk]I wish it would hurry up and snow here. [QUOTE]

Goodness Trekhawk, I just looked up the extended forcast for Nevada County, California and,ummm, it doesn't look like there is much snow in your future :(

Maybe I can FedEx you a snowball :)

Here is a link to a web cam at one of our neighborhood pubs (Geddy's)...you can at least enjoy a virtual snow storm!
http://www.geddys.com/geddycams/harborcam/

-traveller

ps- none of the cars that you will see in front of the pub are mine :D

massbikebabe
12-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Trek...

We are up to our a$$ in snow today! There is probably about 4 inches on my deck and another 6-10 is expected...aaaaaaaggggggghhhhhhhh!

Sadie, I have gone out when it has been >100 degree's F. Do you guys get the nasty humidity along with the high temps?? We do, and then you are soaked just pulling your bike off the rack!!

karen...putting on my boots to go and practice falling in the snow!!

CorsairMac
12-09-2005, 09:50 AM
karen...putting on my boots to go and practice falling in the snow!!

Just remember to make snow angels while you're down there - make the "trip" worthwhile!

RoadRaven
12-09-2005, 09:51 AM
CorsairMac it appears we have a couple of wise guys from down under who have not heeded the warnings. (makes mental note to rib them in July). I think I have you beat today. It was 18 this morning when I got up and didn't get much above 25 all day and now the wind is honkin. More snow on Friday. Maybe New Zealand for the winter. I'd love to see their faces if we showed up at their doors, dressed to the hilt in winter gear. Hee Hee ;)

*sits down in living room*

*gets out pile of photo albums... rifles idly through pausing on June, July, August pages... *

hmmm, occasional rain, sometimes cold... never more than a week at a time... yeah lots of time for Surly and Corsair to get in mid-winter biking in mild and gently sunny conditions should they wander over to see the NZ contingent of TE

SadieKate
12-09-2005, 10:10 AM
Sadie, I have gone out when it has been >100 degree's F. Do you guys get the nasty humidity along with the high temps?? We do, and then you are soaked just pulling your bike off the rack!!
We don't get high humidity but the high haze that humidity brings can be beneficial since it protects you from direct sun. In my experience, one is about the same as the other. Direct sun on your skin at high temps just plain hurts and it radiates from the pavement through the soles of your shoes.

How did the falling down go? :D

Surlygirl
12-09-2005, 11:14 AM
I only have one thing to say. Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh. We need a crying smiley for insertion here.
I just came in from shoveling the now 9 inches of snow and counting off my walk. My teenage son told me I look like a marshmellow. They say the sweetest things sometimes. :rolleyes: It is near white out conditions right now. Hey Karen, how much have you got up there?

Trekhawk
12-09-2005, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=Trekhawk]I wish it would hurry up and snow here. [QUOTE]

Goodness Trekhawk, I just looked up the extended forcast for Nevada County, California and,ummm, it doesn't look like there is much snow in your future :(
Maybe I can FedEx you a snowball :)
Here is a link to a web cam at one of our neighborhood pubs (Geddy's)...you can at least enjoy a virtual snow storm!
http://www.geddys.com/geddycams/harborcam/
-traveller
ps- none of the cars that you will see in front of the pub are mine :D

Thanks for the link - it sure looks pretty with all that snow. Yep not looking good for snow here at the moment (it only snows here half a dozen times a year anyway). I might have to make a trip further up into the mountains and see what I can find. :)

massbikebabe
12-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Surly...

We got a little over 13 inches...at least that's how much is on the hood of my car...says my daughter who had to clean it so she could drive it!! :D

I am sorry to say that I did not make any angels today. I went out on the deck and discovered that the tips of my crutches go anywhere they like when they are "planted" in snow. Fell flat on my butt, chocked on my pride and went back inside with the dogs coming right behind me. The three of us then went upstairs to bed, turned on the electric blanket and drank coffee while watching CNN. Had me a nice cozy afternoon, me and my bichons! Glad
I didn't make any angels...they would look pretty funny because I can't move the left arm up and down, nor can I move the left leg...unilateralpaligia angels? hahahahahahahah

karen
bah humbug!

crazycanuck
12-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Hey traveller62...

You can fedex me a snowball...Haha...I'll send you pea gravel...

Choking on water, can't stop giggling..must go..

c

RoadRaven
12-09-2005, 03:55 PM
*Gazes at the sun... feels the warm breeze but despairs a little... whimpers soflty to herself...*

I have never made a snow angel... :(

Trekhawk
12-09-2005, 04:38 PM
*Gazes at the sun... feels the warm breeze but despairs a little... whimpers soflty to herself...*

I have never made a snow angel... :(

Ok now I know they get plenty of snow in the South Island in winter Ive seen it. So how come you have never made a snow angel?

RoadRaven
12-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Only been to the South Island three times, Trek, all coastal places and every time in summer...

And although I have been to Mt Doom a few times (Taupo) there has only ever been a smattering of snow on the ground and I didn't want to make a sludge-angel...

*pouts*

Crankin
12-10-2005, 06:22 AM
Hey,
There's about 14 inches here on top of Annursnac Hill in Concord.... I spent yesterday on a bus for 6 hours with about 40 sixth graders, in a blizzard. This was the worst! The kids were fine, but our normally 2.5 hour ride from Colebrook, CT was h***. The bus apparently had no wiper fluid, the defroster didn't work too well, the wipers froze up, and the driver spent the entire time cleaning the window with a paper towel, while on his phone saying, "I don't know if I can make it to Hudson." We sat for 30 minutes on Rt. 84 in Vernon CT, for what, i am not sure. I was a wreck when I got back to school. Thankfully, my husband was there, ready to sweep me away in the gas guzzling SUV that can go through anything. The sun was shining by the time we got home, though. Camp was fun, though freezing. I wore all of my winter X country ski gear. I hiked up a mountain, with 1425 ft. of ascent in about a mile with a bunch of 20 something teachers. Thankfully, I could keep up. Going out to try the new snowshoes today. Another skill for this klutz to master!
Robyn

newfsmith
12-10-2005, 07:29 AM
I set a new record for a terrible winter auto commute home. When I left work I was carrying the trash out to the dumpster. It was a struggle getting the dumpster open with 8 inches off snow on top, and I didn't notice that the handles of the grocery bag I carry my gear in, tore in the process. I was barely able to get out of the driveway because we hadn't been plowed yet. After about 40 minutes I was 2/3 of the way home when I decided I should pull over and call my husband to tell him to stay at work (he has a 35 mile commute). That was when I discovered that I was missing my bag, along with my wallet, cell phone, paycheck, and 2 CD's about the new software we are getting at work. So I had to turn around and go back to work, knowing that I would almost certainly get stuck in the driveway. Which I did, but at least I was able to quickly recover my bag from the dumpster and everything was still inside it. So I shoveled my car out and spread enough sand to get back out of the driveway. Unfortunately, the roads still had not been plowed and I got stuck at the first intersection. So I shoveled out again and with some rocking and sand was able to get moving again. It went well from there. I passed a school bus being pulled out of the ditch on the median on I95, so Robyn someone may have had a worse trip with kids than you. I pulled onto my exit to find a big diagonal finger of plowed snow across the ramp that grabbed my tire and started pulling me to the barrier. Put the hazards on and got out with my shovel again. After clearing a 6 foot strip and spreading the last of my sand strategically I was able to get home, where I had to pull into the driveway because a snowplow was behind me with an emergency vehicle behind it. So I got stuck there too, but at least it was my own driveway I shoveled this time. Yes, I probably burned as many calories as I do riding my bike, but I sure enjoyed it a lot less. If I were to get caught in a similar situation riding home; I would lock my bike to a tree, pull my extra layers, yaktrax & survival gear from the panniers and walk to the nearest client's house. All that gear is part of the reason my winter bike weighs 49 pounds. I watch the weather reports pretty carefully to avoid that scenerio, but I'm not convinced that it would be any worse than yesterday.

p.s. Total trip time, 3.5 hours to go 9 miles. Usual bike winter commute 40 minutes to 90 minutes depending on snow depth.

DeniseGoldberg
12-10-2005, 08:26 AM
Hey Jean -
I'm glad to hear that you didn't ride your bike to work yesterday. Talk about a nasty storm! We had a lot of snow up my way, but my commute wasn't bad because I waited... worked until 4:30, then went across the street to work out. The road in front of the office still looked pretty bad, so I went back in to the office and surfed the web for a while, didn't head home until quarter to seven. It only took me 45 minutes to get home. At that time it should have taken 25, but I consider the 45 minutes very reasonable given the conditions!

The roads last night were snowy and much narrower than normal. I was more than a little shocked to see someone out on a bike as I was driving home. My shock wasn't so much that someone was riding, but that the idiot was riding on the wrong side of the road with no lights and no helmet.

I was hoping to ride today, but the roads are still very wet. I think I'll head out walking and then see if tomorrow brings better riding conditions. It's hard to ignore the sunshine and clear blue sky though...

And Robyn -
You'll have to let us know how your snowshoe experience went!

--- Denise

Surlygirl
12-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Surly...

Glad
I didn't make any angels...they would look pretty funny because I can't move the left arm up and down, nor can I move the left leg...unilateralpaligia angels? hahahahahahahah

karen
bah humbug!

I'm sorry Karen, I'm laughing. :D It's just a very funny visual of a broken snow angel. I bet you can make a good one by February and I'm sure there will still be plenty of snow left.

And Roadraven, you are not missing much. After the initial 5 seconds of flapping body parts, getting snow in every piece of clothing and down your neck, the thrill of snow angels wears off. Can you tell I'm not a snow person.

Glad everyone got home safe and sound.

traveller_62
12-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Hey traveller62...

You can fedex me a snowball...Haha...I'll send you pea gravel...

Choking on water, can't stop giggling..must go..

c

Sounds like a fair trade to me, cc.

I think there is only one problem...snowballs are often stolen when they are in transit. Almost every time I send a snowball to a friend the package is empty when it arrives at its destination! :rolleyes:

Beautiful day here today with the new fallen snow and bright blue sky. I've been at work most of the day but I'm going to try to catch the last hour of daylight and get a quick cross country ski workout in.

Cheers,
-traveller

massbikebabe
12-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Surlygirl I'm sorry Karen, I'm laughing. :D It's just a very funny visual of a broken snow angel. I bet you can make a good one by February and I'm sure there will still be plenty of snow left.

And Roadraven, you are not missing much. After the initial 5 seconds of flapping body parts, getting snow in every piece of clothing and down your neck, the thrill of snow angels wears off. Can you tell I'm not a snow person.

Glad everyone got home safe and sound.

Surly...laugh with me, that's my aim :D I hope there is no snow and I am riding in Feb!

Robin: I was a mommy volunteer for both treks out to Natures Classroom. We always go in September when the weather is still comfortable. Being the only ER nurse/mom I was always a shoe-in for the job!!

Denise and Jean: Glad to hear you both got home alright!! Denise my hubby was sent home at 2 but decided to stay put until 6 because the weather at 2 was so bad. Surprisingly they did a great job of cleaning the roads up here, but then again...they have had a lot of practice.

karen

DeniseGoldberg
12-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Ah, wet & messy roads made me glad I was out walking today instead of trashing one of my bikes!

Anyone care for a cold resting spot? And yes, the snow really is beautiful - even though I'd prefer it would go away!
http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/47781087-S-1.jpg

And Karen - I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who waited to hit the roads yesterday. Actually I learned many years ago that sometimes it is better to wait until the roads (of traffic) a bit... And I have to admit your snow angel tale made me laugh too. I think you're right that it's better to be able to laugh.

--- Denise

DeniseGoldberg
12-11-2005, 03:26 PM
It may be snowy, but the roads were clear and mostly dry today... Here's a quick view of a cyclist (yes, it's me taking pictures from my bike again!) along the road.

http://denise.smugmug.com/photos/47906789-S-1.jpg

--- Denise

Crankin
12-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Denise, I knew you would be riding today. I just can't get out when there's snow on the ground! Anyway, the snowshoes were great. There was no learning curve, except learning how to put the gaitors on. The snow was deep, but I didn't get wet at all. It was a good workout (just about 2.5 miles in 50 minutes), which felt like a nice hike. This will be a great convenient way to get some exercise in. I don't think I'll be doing any steep climbs in them, but I was sweating just on the rolling trail.
This afternoon we went with our cycling friends to the Omni Theatre to see a film about the Tour and the scientific aspects of learning a skill like cycling. There really wasn't much new info, but the footage of the racing was awesome. It was from the 04 Tour and maybe some from 03. I'd recommend it as a fun diversion for the winter. Then we went to the North End for dinner. I'm debating about throwing the snowshoes or skis in the car for tomorrow after school, but i don't think I'll have enough daylight time, even if I leave at 2:30. I guess I may actually stay and do work and go to spin class....

DeniseGoldberg
12-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Anyway, the snowshoes were great. There was no learning curve, except learning how to put the gaitors on. The snow was deep, but I didn't get wet at all. It was a good workout...

...we went with our cycling friends to the Omni Theatre to see a film about the Tour and the scientific aspects of learning a skill like cycling. There really wasn't much new info, but the footage of the racing was awesome...

I'm glad to hear that the snowshoeing was good. I occasionally think about getting a pair and trying it myself, just haven't quite made it to that decision point yet. I was actually pleasantly surprised with the temperature today. I wasn't cold at all while I was riding - which probably also means that I've finally figured out the right layers. Of course I'm sure that it also helped that the sun was out!

I'd heard about the Omni film about the Tour - guess I'll need to get myself to the Science Museum to see that one. I don't get there very often, but this sounds like the right reason!

--- Denise

Zub_Zub
12-11-2005, 07:19 PM
OMG ITS SO HOT! Its about 25 degrees and ive been sitting out side for a while and its so hot! I had work to day and luckly i wasnt stuck in the glass houses today or i would be ROASTED. My little puppy( hes ten months old!) is black and hes drinking heaps of water and all that.

Marie

DeniseGoldberg
12-11-2005, 07:25 PM
OMG ITS SO HOT! Its about 25 degrees and ive been sitting out side for a while and its so hot! I had work to day and luckly i wasnt stuck in the glass houses today or i would be ROASTED. My little puppy( hes ten months old!) is black and hes drinking heaps of water and all that.

Marie

So how many northern hemisphere riders can you accommodate? Just kidding - although it is tempting...

--- Denise

massbikebabe
12-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Zub...

you are really pushing your luck with us here in frigid hell...If you keep posting like that I'll get my girl Spazz to snowball you!!! :D

karen

Zub_Zub
12-11-2005, 10:13 PM
Oh golly a snowball fight sounds good....Might cool me down. :D But its finally cooled down a bit. Jack (my puppy) is running around again and kitty kitty is still lying out side doing nothing

Marie

traveller_62
12-12-2005, 06:14 AM
It may be snowy, but the roads were clear and mostly dry today... Here's a quick view of a cyclist (yes, it's me taking pictures from my bike again!) along the road.

--- Denise

Denise,

What do you do after a ride on wet/salty/sandy roads? Do you clean your bike chain, etc. after every ride?

I thought about getting out on my bike yesterday (went skiing instead) but then I thought about the hour or more it would take for me to clean up the bike...blah.

-traveller

DeniseGoldberg
12-12-2005, 06:51 AM
What do you do after a ride on wet/salty/sandy roads? Do you clean your bike chain, etc. after every ride?

-traveller

I take a look at the bike when I get home. If it's just a little sand on the frame I'll let it dry and then wipe it off. Yesterday it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't just a dry & wipe. I cleaned the frame and the chain, then relubed.

I'm with you though - if the roads look really messy then I usually don't ride. Sometimes I guess wrong though - I remember one ride (a couple of years ago) when I could actually hear the salt/sand in the drive train. I cut that ride short and hurried home before I did too much damage, but my bike was a mess. It really wasn't too bad yesterday.

--- Denise

wavedancer
12-12-2005, 03:32 PM
I have really been planning on riding as much as possible this winter, but now, I don't know...

Yesterday was the Cape Cod NEMBA chapter's Toys for Tots ride, and as I usually don't get to ride with them and the weather was so great I showed up with my Barbie and mtb and took off on the Trail of Tears. There were about 20 riders, all better than me, and I planned on doing the Beginners' loop. Everyone else was doing the Intermediate loop. There was about 2 inches of snow and some icy places on some of the trails. I walked parts that looked too scary, had a couple of slow-motion uphill falls as I lost traction while climbing, but basically had a pretty good time.
I met up with the rest of the riders after a while and two of them convinced me to continue with them on the intermediate trail. Okay, I'm game... had several more frustration falls, kept getting my cleats packed with icy snow because I had to walk the steep parts and decided I wasn't having too much fun.

At the next trail intersection/bailout I headed back on my own. Doing OK, came to a slightly steep downhill with some rocks and snow and for some reason freaked and grabbed a tree! Bike of course slid out from under me, onto my leg...scrapes and bruises...definitely not my favorite ride. Made it back to the car and limped on home.

So today I decied to stay on the pavement and take a ride down the Cape Cod Canal road. Nice smooth bike path, plowed, the roads have been clear with the 40+ degree sunshine. Beautiful afternoon: sunny, no one out on the canal. There were a few patches of slush, a little ice, in the places that stay shaded. Got past the first bridge and into a little more icy slush, and then BOOM: black ice! I went down in an instant onto my right thigh and whacked my head (helmet) pretty hard. Luckily my housemate was home and came with his truck to carry me home. The hematoma on my thigh is slowly getting bigger, but my head seems to be OK.

So now the mountain bike is hung up in the shed and the road bike's on the trainer. Maybe I'll get out if the roads or trails are truly free of ice and snow. But that probably won't be until spring anyway! So for now it's spinning on the trainer, going to the gym, and hoping we get enough snow to cross country ski and snow shoe. This in-between stuff s***s!

Thanks for letting me rant.

DeniseGoldberg
12-12-2005, 03:55 PM
I have really been planning on riding as much as possible this winter, but now, I don't know...

...At the next trail intersection/bailout I headed back on my own. Doing OK, came to a slightly steep downhill with some rocks and snow and for some reason freaked and grabbed a tree! Bike of course slid out from under me, onto my leg...scrapes and bruises...definitely not my favorite ride. Made it back to the car and limped on home.

...So today I decied to stay on the pavement ...Got past the first bridge and into a little more icy slush, and then BOOM: black ice! I went down in an instant onto my right thigh and whacked my head (helmet) pretty hard. Luckily my housemate was home and came with his truck to carry me home. The hematoma on my thigh is slowly getting bigger, but my head seems to be OK.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Ouch, ouch, ouch! It sounds like you had a bad biking weekend... It's really OK to not ride on the road at this time of year. (Or at any time at all if it doesn't feel right to you.) I have to convince myself of that fact as the winter progresses and I still want to be out on the road. I do ride year round, but I wimp out for bad road conditions, bad weather (raining, snowing, or way too cold). From your description it sounds like today should have been an OK ride - you just had some super bad luck with the black ice.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way. (OK, I know that doesn't really work, but I have to keep trying!). And you will be buying a new helmet, right?

Oh - and ranting is OK at any time!

--- Denise

wavedancer
12-12-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm sending healing thoughts your way. (OK, I know that doesn't really work, but I have to keep trying!). And you will be buying a new helmet, right?

Oh - and ranting is OK at any time!

--- Denise[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the support! And I do believe those healing thoughts help.
Actually my first thought when I heard the crunch of my helmet was "I guess I can get that new helmet now!"

CorsairMac
12-13-2005, 09:07 AM
well ladies - I rode to work in snow this morning! Surlygirl - it looks like this may be payback year for me! lol It's all melted now but the mountains are gone - covered in clouds which means it's snowing up there, hopefully not at my house!

Karen: your angel ain't broke - it's just "developing" unevenly. Give her some time - the other wing will grow in, I have all the confidence in the world!

ZubZub: keep it up my friend........I'm gonna be watching the temps in Your neck of the woods come our summer and then tease you no end! *insert winking smilie here*

(PS: is anyone else having problems with the smilies?? I haven't been able to get them to work for 2 days now)

DirtDiva
12-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Alas, Corsair, it doesn't get that cold in Auckland. No snow. No Frosts. They don't know what they're missing... :p Oh, and obviously no probs with the smilies here. Have you accidently clicked on the "insert code/smilies suck" bit?

Crankin
12-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Wavedancer, I wouldn't worry about not riding at this time of the year. Although you guys on the Cape might have less "weather' to deal with, it seems like the last couple of years there's been a lot of snow and ice down there. My theory is that doing other activities makes you a better cyclist. It's important to cross train. I suspect that if I was riding 12 months a year, I would burn out. The way to deal with winter is to be outside in it; snowshoe, X country ski, hike. Yes, the gym gets boring, but there's people there who razz me if i don't show up.

You sound like my kind of mountain biker...

Robyn

wavedancer
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Robyn,
I do plan to ski and snowshoe if we get enough snow down here this year. Last year was actually great! I loved that the snow was so deep and lasted for so long. I only went snowshoeing once last winter (birthday present in March), but got quite a bit of skiing in. I'm trying to learn how to skate-ski. It looks so cool and effortless. But for me, it's just one more way to fall down!

Let's get together to ride in the spring!

Corsairmac...My smilies don't work either :( ...oops, I guess they do!. but only if I type the characters in.

Linda (turning interesting shades of purple)

massbikebabe
12-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Cors...Love that "Broken Angel"...mind if I use that???

Well I just let the dogs in and it is -1 degree F here right now and they tell me it's going to get worse:eek: Trust me, after -1 it can get worse. I am thinking of leaving the heat on at 70 tonight. I usually turn it down to 68 but it is just to damn cold to even think of moving the thermostat!!

Zub_Zub
12-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Ah the rain come today. Wonderfully cool, a nice change:p

Crankin
12-14-2005, 02:16 AM
Linda,

Looking forward to riding with you in the spring... Maybe the snow will melt earlier down there! Good luck with the skate skiing. It does look cool, but i don't want to spend the $ for another set of sports equipment that might get used 3 times a year.

It is now 4.5 degrees at my house at 6 AM.

Robyn

wavedancer
12-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I would love to have ya'll come down. I think we should have some sort of procession...purple capes, tiaras and all!
Linda:D

Surlygirl
12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I would love to have ya'll come down. I think we should have some sort of procession...purple capes, tiaras and all!
Linda:D

OOOOHHHH Yeah and the purple cape would match my purple orbea. The tiaras would just be frosting on the cake. :D

Crankin
12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
I hope someone can sew a cape for me. I can't do that! If we have post ride libations, I may have to spend the night down there....
When are we going to the Sole?
It was -4 F on my way to work this morning. Yikes!
Robyn

DeniseGoldberg
12-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Sew? We have to sew? Somehow I thought that those purple capes would just appear! Yes, they are definitely in my imagination... Or maybe - what about a lightweight purple fleece? No sewing needed, just cutting to shape!

I've been watching that thermometer too, and opting for exercise indoors for the past 2 days - and now it sounds like it is going to warm up just to bring us some more snow and ice. I shouldn't be shouting enough this early in the season, but I am!

--- Denise

SadieKate
12-14-2005, 04:06 PM
I like the fleece idea - no sewing. You could regular scissors or pinking shears. Self-stick velcro (though I don't know how well it sticks to velcro).

Some of the sheer fabrics might get away without sewing and there is always fabric glue.

And spray on glitter . . . and . . . .

Surlygirl
12-14-2005, 06:14 PM
Okay, here is the one I'm wearing. :D

http://www.abfab.co.uk/Fancy_Dress_Search.asp?page=1&txtPhrase=Glitter%20Purple%20Cape

CorsairMac
12-15-2005, 06:55 AM
You're on - give me a date and time, I'll ride in my purple cape and tiara with karens name in "gems" across the front! and heat?? I LOVE the heat - bring it on! As for the purple cape: I'll probably just do the purple towel pinned in the front!!

and Karen: you can use whatever ya'll hearts desire my friend, you are such an inspiration to me that anything I can give back is well worth it!

Toasts Karen: the Developing Angel!

Crankin
12-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Maybe I'll get a purple towel and tie it together....
Nice weather predicted for tomorrow morning.

wavedancer
12-15-2005, 06:12 PM
If we have post ride libations, I may have to spend the night down there....
Robyn

I have room for a few bunkers at my place in Sandwich, and I live right behind a motel.

One place that might be good to start is along the Cape Cod Canal. 6.5 miles one way on a basically flat bike path...Lots of room for flowing purple Capes, silliness and no traffic! Longer routes can take off from there down toward Falmouth and Woods Hole along the Buzzards Bay coast.

I'm getting excited!!!

Linda

massbikebabe
12-15-2005, 08:17 PM
Linda;

ME TOO!!! I can't wait...warm sunshine, the cape, me on my bike, ahhhhh
the thrill of it all!!! Best Part; seeing all you guys in capes, hahahahaha!!!! Me thinks I'll have to recruit you all to do the MS 150 with me and my boys! Will have to bring my boys because they are most excellent bike mechanics. When I say my boys I mean my 45 year old, and my 14 year old:)

Corsair; If I get back on this bike I just may make a long distance ride out to see you and your new clean sweep!! You certainly keep me giggling my friend.

karen
ps- Where is my gurl Spazz at??

CorsairMac
12-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Corsair; If I get back on this bike I just may make a long distance ride out to see you and your new clean sweep!! You certainly keep me giggling my friend.

tell you what my friend - you do that, I'll Let you "vaccum" the house!! ;)