PDA

View Full Version : Small Pets

Catrin
12-21-2011, 03:02 AM
I am considering eventually getting a small pet. I REALLY want a cat..but my allergies are just too bad. I've always been allergic, but it seemed like my allergies were able to eventually adjust to having a cat around. That worked until about 10 years ago. I've tried twice,using all of the allergy meds and other methods, and had to re-home the cat both times. That broke my heart and I won't try again.

I am not totally sold on the idea of a small pet but I want to explore the idea. If I do this it wouldn't be until later in the year after my finances have recovered and I can afford the responsibility. I won't have a dog in a small apartment without a yard. I know many do, and that is fine, but I won't.

I know I do not want a rabbit, I've been around house rabbits. I am not fond of ferrets either, they do have an odor problem and it is quite difficult to "ferret-protect" the apartment for them. If I do this, I want something that can interact with me (which leaves out fish) and reptiles leave me cold...bad pun :) I also do a lot of camping in the summer, and it would be best if they could travel with me so they wouldn't be alone so much.

I am wondering about guinea pigs and hamsters...I understand they can interact. As prey animals, I do wonder if they would tolerate traveling most weekends - in their cage of course. Then again, would the presence of something like that in my tent draw unwanted guests to my tent at night or during the day when I am gone?

So, for those of you who have/had piggies and hamsters, would this be a bad idea?

Veronica
12-21-2011, 05:38 AM
Personally I'd reconsider the dog idea. When we had a dog, she only went in our yard for her "business" first thing in the morning and when I got home from work. And of course she went out, if we went out. She just didn't like being out there by herself. Her exercise came from two long walks every day. I think the right breed could do well in an apartment.

I've never had small mammals, so can't help you there.

Veronica

Biciclista
12-21-2011, 05:39 AM
how about a rat? they are smarter and more loveable than hamsters and guinea pigs (although I think guinea pigs are adorable, they are more like dumb little goats) reeet reeet reeeet!

goldfinch
12-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Rats are friendly but I have trouble getting past their hairless tails!

My preference would be a bird just because we used to have a budgie that was our buddy. My sister had a very friendly and loving cockatiel with a big vocabulary. Get one that is very young and hand fed, not a big box pet store bird. Handle it frequently. Depending on what you get you can teach it to talk, to do tricks. They are very social and will want to interact with you. My bird loved to have its head scratched. Be sure to read about specific birds before you get them, some have a pretty loud noise level and some are extremely long lived.

Sky King
12-21-2011, 06:17 AM
Rat over hamster or guinea pig if you want to interact. Yes the tails are ugly but they actually do have personality (relatively speaking) However, they to have issues, have to clean the cage - OFTEN, they can also get mites and one of ours died of pneumonia .. Hamsters are night creatures so sleep all day. Me, I like Beta fish, pretty, no mess and can be left for alone for long weekends

OakLeaf
12-21-2011, 06:17 AM
I haven't had small pets since I was a kid, but I definitely would not leave an animal alone in a tent.

In our area I wouldn't worry about predators so much as simple heat. Raccoons and coyotes aren't likely to bother a tent in the daytime when you're not there, predatory birds and snakes wouldn't be able to get into a tightly zipped space. But it gets very hot inside a tent in the summer.

Blueberry
12-21-2011, 06:25 AM
But it gets very hot inside a tent in the summer.

This. Plus - think of it from the pet perspective. You likely wouldn't take said animal out of its cage while camping (risk of running away - this could cause problems with cage cleaning), so you're taking it out of its comfortable environment, petrifying it, baking it, and keeping it locked up.

Of course, with a dog you would have to plan as well (petsitter, etc).

Veronica
12-21-2011, 06:32 AM
Dogs can go to some campgrounds though and leashed on some trails - depending upon where you are.

I can't imagine any other critter I would want to take tent camping. If it can't be out on the trails with me, why do I have it there, out of its comforts zone?

Veronica

indysteel
12-21-2011, 06:35 AM
Out of curiosity, are there feeders/waterers that can be used with small animals that hold enough to get them through a long weekend? If so, I would suggest that that's a far better option than taking the animal camping with you. For times that you'll be gone longer, you will hopefully be able to either leave the animal with someone else or have someone visit the animal as needed.

Catrin
12-21-2011, 07:38 AM
Those are all good thoughts, and I hadn't thought about the tent getting hot during the day. There isn't a guarantee that I could get a shaded spot and leave the flaps rolled up for ventilation.

I am really not a dog-person, though I like other people's dogs well enough. After being bitten earlier this year I find they make me a bit nervous. A bird, or pair of them, might be a good choice - and probably easier to find a sitter if I can't make food/water arrangements for them to be alone every other weekend in the summer. I do like parakeets, and they are not expensive. Get a pair of them to keep each other company for when I am not home...

Thanks again, I've got some time to think about all of this. Would love a parrot but they are expensive, expensive to care for, and I refuse to have a pet that will outlive me :eek:

Trek-chick
12-21-2011, 07:56 AM
When I was younger (still living at my parent's house), a neighbor had a pet duck.

They also had a golden retriever, and sometimes I would see the dog and the duck playing (seriuosly--I am not kidding :D) in their front yard. I have always thought it would be really cool to have a pet duck. I imagine they would be a messy pet but they are soooooooooooooooooo darn cute!!!!!

Catrin
12-21-2011, 08:13 AM
When I was younger (still living at my parent's house), a neighbor had a pet duck.

They also had a golden retriever, and sometimes I would see the dog and the duck playing (seriuosly--I am not kidding :D) in their front yard. I have always thought it would be really cool to have a pet duck. I imagine they would be a messy pet but they are soooooooooooooooooo darn cute!!!!!

They really are, aren't they? I suspect that my apartment complex would consider them an "exotic pet", which aren't allowed. Another nice thing about choosing a bird or a small animal that would be caged when I am not home would be I wouldn't have to pay a large pet deposit, nor pay "pet rent" every month.

I just renewed my lease early to avoid an increase that happens on Jan. 1, and just realized that all cats must be declawed...another reason not to have one. I understand why they have that provision, and each pet owner has their opinion on that, but I consider it cruel. There are other options.

Biciclista
12-21-2011, 08:46 AM
oh that's terrible. Forcing people to declaw their cats? I couldn't live there. Sheesh.

Veronica
12-21-2011, 08:53 AM
oh that's terrible. Forcing people to declaw their cats? I couldn't live there. Sheesh.

I couldn't either. My babies desperately need their claws clipped now. Tucker gave me a nice, inch long gash on my middle finger, while playing "hide under the blanket." My fault for not clipping his claws this weekend.

Veronica

Blueberry
12-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Me three. We regularly trim claws, and I have used soft paws (nail caps) before when a kitty was scratching a raw place on himself. There are awesome alternatives. There is no reason for that. Pre-kitty, I refused to live in apartment complexes that had that rule - on principle.

TsPoet
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
I go camping with my small dogs all the time. I take them with me on hikes. The only trail I've ever not been able to take them was the Pacific Crest Trail.
I think the dog for you is an Italian Greyhound ;)
They are 25 mph couch potatoes. The negative for camping is that most people find them unreliable off lead. I let mine off lead all the time - but I also work her recall every day without fail.
Second negative for your lifestyle is that they "break easily". Mine does amazing athletic feats and has never broken. But, I was holding another IG and dropped him on a bed - and his leg broke! But, I built up Tari's bones/muscles with walks from a young age.
One advantage/disadvantages for you is that they are litter box/potty pad trainable. Tari does her business in the winter on potty pads (IGs have little hair and no fat, so they don't like to go outside in the cold.) This is actually really nice, once you get over the icky thought of a dog pooping in your house - I can take her to hotels and camping, or leave her locked in a room if I have guests with a potty pad down. Don't misunderstand me, I spoil my dogs, I don't leave her locked up! and, this is the same as you'd have with a cat, rabbit, etc.
I would guess that there are other "toy" dogs that might fit what you want (a Yorkie? I have a friend with a Boston Terrier that is a little dynamo). Please avoid "teacup" dogs.
I don't think there is any pet you could just leave in a tent, but there are some little dogs that you can take with you and can sleep in a tent just fine. I have Tari (Italian Greyhound - 12 lbs), Murphy (20lb mutt, who Tari can stand over), Finn (22 lb Mutt). I take them all many places with me.

Catrin
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM

First time I've noticed that in THIS lease, it is, however, a common lease requirement for every complex I've lived in for the last decade. I have not seen one since I moved to Indianapolis that did not have it and I tried to find one that did not. Having it, and enforcing it, are two different things. I've never seen it enforced or even asked. I think it is there in case your cat does damage from scratching though I can't imagine why it would be considered necessary since they all charge such high pet deposits. I paid over a deposit that was more than $500 at my last apartment.

Frankly this will be my last lease renewal here, I will have 17 months to save up and consider where to move next time (there is an advantage to such a long lease, plus I HATE to move). Someplace where I can still ride to my beloved country roads and that will have lower rent. At least that is my plan. I have to stay in the county to keep my job as I am a local government employee, it is a matter of a local ordinance.

There is a local pet rescue that takes in many types of pets, this includes small mammals and birds. I think that I will visit them and see what I think. I am leaning toward a set of parakeets or love birds, but we will see. I had them as a girl, and have wanted them as an adult - but not with a cat around. No rush, but I've time to consider my options,

Catrin
12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
TS Poet, that is interesting about the Italian Greyhound - wouldn't have considered training a dog to use a pad. I had forgotten that my sister's little Maltese used to do that when she was younger. I do like little Corgis, and love hounds, but I don't think they are suited to life in a small apartment - they are working dogs.

TsPoet
12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I am really not a dog-person, though I like other people's dogs well enough. After being bitten earlier this year I find they make me a bit nervous. A bird, or pair of them, might be a good choice - and probably easier to find a sitter if I can't make food/water arrangements for them to be alone every other weekend in the summer. I do like parakeets, and they are not expensive. Get a pair of them to keep each other company for when I am not home...

I also have budgies (parakeets) and love them. They take a lot of work to tame - only get 1 if you want a tame one. You can get a second after a few months. They have the advantage that you can just go away for a weekend, leave them food and water and they'll be fine. They have the disadvantage that they are smart - too smart to leave sitting in a cage. It breaks my heart when people treat them like fish. Birds (all kinds) need at least 1 hr/day out doing something active. I don't clip wings, let them fly loose in my house. Mine are tame and like to ride around on my shoulder (nothing like sitting "on the pot" and have something zoom around the corner to land on your head because you were out of sight and they had to find you). I had a budgie years ago (my heart pet to this day) that had a 50+ word vocabulary. He lost his ability to fly as he got older and used to flutter down from his cage and run around after me instead of fly.
All of my current budgies are rescues and only 1 is somewhat tame. I have a large flight cage with 6 birds flying around. It's a lot of work to keep it clean - birds are very messy. I also have a Mayer's parrot - who is completely tame and has eaten much of the wood work in my house. He gets 2 hrs out every night - not necessarily 1 on 1 attention that he really needs, though.
Pets are a lot of work.
You could clip the wings of a parrot and bring them with you many places, but you couldn't leave them in a tent. I do leave my birds for up to 3 days a few times a year - with a waterer and food they don't need anyone to come in and take care of them.

Blueberry
12-21-2011, 09:20 AM
I used to bike with my Maltese in a pack on my back. He loved it. He was a good apartment dog too - the only downsides were 1) health problems and 2) monthly (at least) groomer visits.

I would not, however, train a dog to use pads. Our experience was that it took longer to house train, and our dogs got really confused - they thought it was OK to go anywhere in the house if they could go in one spot. I know our experience is unusual - I just wanted to throw it out there.

TsPoet
12-21-2011, 09:25 AM
This is how portable an adult IG can be (LOL)
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/317358_10150414331522328_659382327_8309517_371202019_n.jpg

and how active they can be
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296361_10150337180892328_659382327_7862472_3781193_n.jpg

TsPoet
12-21-2011, 09:31 AM
I would not, however, train a dog to use pads. Our experience was that it took longer to house train, and our dogs got really confused - they thought it was OK to go anywhere in the house if they could go in one spot. I know our experience is unusual - I just wanted to throw it out there.

I think it's very breed specific. Lots of toy dogs are potty pad trained - the smaller dogs often don't like to go out as much and they have smaller bladders (supposedly, don't know how true this is). When I wanted to switch Tari to going outside when she was a puppy, I just moved the potty pad a few feet toward the door every other day, then out the door, then onto the lawn. She figured it out very quickly.
My other 2 do their business 100% outside. I was afraid Tari's potty pads might un-housebreak one of them, but didn't happen.

Catrin
12-21-2011, 09:49 AM
I also have budgies (parakeets) and love them. They take a lot of work to tame - only get 1 if you want a tame one. You can get a second after a few months. They have the advantage that you can just go away for a weekend, leave them food and water and they'll be fine. They have the disadvantage that they are smart - too smart to leave sitting in a cage. It breaks my heart when people treat them like fish. Birds (all kinds) need at least 1 hr/day out doing something active. I don't clip wings, let them fly loose in my house...Pets are a lot of work....

Indeed they are! Love the pictures of your little dogs :) Also good to hear that budgies could be left alone for 48-50 hours or so, I will be away from home every other weekend this summer. I like the idea of a pair of them so they can keep each other occupied when I am not home. I will likely wait until the season starts winding down though. I want to take my time deciding what and who to get, but then I would want to spend a lot of quality time with the animal(s) before I started leaving them for the weekend on a regular basis. I know how to deal with cats, they have been my only pet for 40 years...

Tell me about how smart budgies are. When I was a girl we had a pair (Fifi and JoJo) who became really good at opening the door to their cage so my parents had to get really creative those times that we wanted them to stay in the cage.. My parents took the cage outside one day, however they didn't secure the door well OR they figured out how to "unsecure" the door...and that was the last we saw of them :(

I was only 8 years old at the time but I still remember them well!

malkin
12-21-2011, 11:40 AM
You CAN also play with fish!

We had tiger barbs that loved to chase the laser pointer and for a while we had a huge goldfish that my daughter trained to sit in her hand (in the water). Probably not what you had in mind though.

NbyNW
12-21-2011, 12:01 PM
You CAN also play with fish!

We had tiger barbs that loved to chase the laser pointer and for a while we had a huge goldfish that my daughter trained to sit in her hand (in the water). Probably not what you had in mind though.

+1. Someday I hope we stop moving around so much so I can set up an aquarium again.

We had to find new homes for our budgies when my sister developed allergies. I can't remember if she specifically tested positive for them, or if the doctor just told my mother to get rid of anything that might be generating dust or dander.

BleeckerSt_Girl
12-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Birds are particularly sensitive to temperature/sun/drafts/humidity changes. I don't think birds should be taken camping. Actually, I'd be leery about taking any animal camping if you are going off hiking and leaving the animal unattended in a campsite. There are some weird people out there- is it really fair to leave an animal vulnerable to unknown strangers passing by?
So then if not a dog, and not leaving it unguarded in a tent, what animal could you actually take hiking up a mountain with you...bumping around in your pocket or backpack for hours?

I sympathize with your yearning for a pet, but taking pets tent camping is perhaps not safe or fair to them. We should consider the quality of life we can offer to the animal as well as our own needs.
I'd suggest getting the kind of pet that doesn't mind being left alone for a week or two (maybe leave a soft radio on for a warm blooded pet). I used to get a lot of fun and satisfaction from various small creatures as pets- mice, turtles, hamsters, snakes, rabbits, tarantulas (don't laugh, they are fascinating!), fish, finches, crayfish, toads, praying mantids, etc etc.
Even a Venus flytrap plant can be an interesting kind of 'pet'. All these creatures will 'interact' with you, maybe not always on an emotional level.

jessmarimba
12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
We had a parakeet when I was a teen (he was my brother's pet) that lived for quite awhile and was almost never in the cage, til we got a cat. Kiwi would sit on the piano while we practiced, sit on the end of a pencil if I was doing homework (he was much heavier than you'd expect!) and sit in my mom's hair and pull out her bobby pins.

Mom has a cockatoo now that is much more obnoxious than I think you'd want (it's like having the loudest "terrible twos" toddler you can imagine) but you may want to consider a cockatiel. Much cheaper than the larger parrot class of birds, won't live to be 50, but a little more interactive than a budgie.

Catrin
12-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Birds are particularly sensitive to temperature/sun/drafts/humidity changes. I don't think birds should be taken camping. Actually, I'd be leery about taking any animal camping if you are going off hiking and leaving the animal unattended in a campsite. .....

I gave up the idea of taking a pet camping due to the heat of the tent, etc. I am actually normally only gone two days at a time, and don't think it would be a problem to have a friend check on a couple of birds for me :) That being said, I am going to visit a local rescue that has every kind of animal imaginable to see what I think. I can research all I want, but actually spending some time with different animals mean a lot. I am leaning strongly in the bird direction, but whatever I do wind up getting won't be a quick process.

malkin
12-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Birds can go at least a weekend on their own. Our three budgies do fine, and last weekend (Fri AM to Mon. evening) didn't even notice the spray millet I left them. Their current hobby is a stale bagel.

If you end up with birds, train them to drink from a water bottle with a tube. Way easier to keep clean than a poopie dish!

Also Vision cages are the best!

Catrin
12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks Malikin, that is good to know!

There is a local rescue with several love birds they've had for awhile, they are beautiful! I am not in a rush though, and I want to set aside a little "pet fund" before I set about deciding who, and what, to give a forever home. I have never been a believer in taking on a pet quickly.

Also, thanks for the cage recommendation, they look nice and aren't all that expensive! I've thought about getting birds before, but always had a cat around so always set it aside.

alimey
12-27-2011, 04:31 AM
Chinchilla - they look very cute, and might suit your lifestyle. No ratty tail either. African Hedgehog?

Catrin
12-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Spent some good time today around quite a few different animals - and I am pretty sure I will wind up with two Cockatiels...or two Parakeets but I think I prefer the 'tiels :)

The Chinchillas were cute - but I found I really don't want a rodent. People keep telling me that rabbits can be fully house-broken but I've seen too many friends over the years that had house rabbits who were far from that...nope. They had a large number of rabbits of all sizes, shapes and colors.

They had two pair of 'tiels that I am interested in. A bonded male/female pair and a set of females. It was interesting to watch the male warn me when he got nervous with me getting too close - though he was very curious. The two females were less colorful, but more relaxed and I really enjoyed watching them. We will see, I can't get anything for a month or two, so I've time. They have had most of their birds for quite some time so there isn't a rush. They can stay home alone for the weekend, and I already have a place to drop them off for care while I am on vacation.

Jolt
12-28-2011, 03:25 PM
I used to bike with my Maltese in a pack on my back. He loved it. He was a good apartment dog too - the only downsides were 1) health problems and 2) monthly (at least) groomer visits.

Mental image of someone biking with a little dog in a backpack--cute! I would second the pad thing...friends of mine have a Maltese who was trained to go potty on newspapers, but he sometimes goes in other places in the house instead. I wonder if something more like a litter box would be different/better...more of a specific place to go.

goldfinch
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Spent some good time today around quite a few different animals - and I am pretty sure I will wind up with two Cockatiels...or two Parakeets but I think I prefer the 'tiels :)

The Chinchillas were cute - but I found I really don't want a rodent. People keep telling me that rabbits can be fully house-broken but I've seen too many friends over the years that had house rabbits who were far from that...nope. They had a large number of rabbits of all sizes, shapes and colors.

They had two pair of 'tiels that I am interested in. A bonded male/female pair and a set of females. It was interesting to watch the male warn me when he got nervous with me getting too close - though he was very curious. The two females were less colorful, but more relaxed and I really enjoyed watching them. We will see, I can't get anything for a month or two, so I've time. They have had most of their birds for quite some time so there isn't a rush. They can stay home alone for the weekend, and I already have a place to drop them off for care while I am on vacation.

It is great that you are getting two birds, cockatiels especially need the company. The female pair sounds great if you don't want babies! Either way, both pairs sound like they get along well together. I miss my sweet birdie. :(

malkin
01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Brewer had a pair of female cockatiels that lived long and prospered. We called them 'the sisters' which they were not biologically, but perhaps spiritually. By the time the first one left the building, I had a random flock going and the surviving sister happily joined that motley cage to live out her days.

bambu101
01-15-2012, 03:25 AM
If you are considering getting budgies, or a small parrot such as a cockatiel, please consider a rescue or sanctuary near you that will adopt out. They are filled to capacity with birds that have lost their homes due to no fault of their own, such as their owner's serious illness or economic reasons such as foreclosure.

Many rescues will work with you to find the perfect match in regards to noise level, temperament, and personality.

We have 2 rescued birds here (a macaw and moustached parakeet), and they are wonderful birds!