PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm... breakfast

Veronica
12-04-2005, 07:29 AM
I experimented with my scone recipe this morning and put chocolate chips in it instead of fresh blueberries. Yummy!

V.

margo49
12-04-2005, 11:27 AM
You need *both* for max anti-oxidant FX!
and maybe some brussel sprouts too
Ha ha ha :rolleyes:

aka_kim
12-04-2005, 05:34 PM
And the recipe is ....? (Yes, scones are one of the few things I will make.)

Veronica
12-04-2005, 06:11 PM
I'll make you a copy. It's pretty easy.

V.

Lise
12-08-2005, 04:14 AM
post the recipe? I love my cereal + almonds + raisins (blueberries in season) + soymilk, or bagel + peanut butter, but sometimes, enough is enough! :p L.

Veronica
12-08-2005, 06:01 AM
Combine
2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. table salt

Blend in
12 T unsalted butter cut into small chunks - use your fingers. Make sure the butter does not become too soft and oily

Add
1 cup currants (I use berries - fresh or frozen or chocolate chips instead)
1 T. orange or lemon zest - I often forget to add this, I left it out when I used chocolate chips on purpose
1 cup cold heavy cream

Knead and pat the dough into a circle about 8" across and 1" thick. Cut the dough into wedges and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (last tiime I had run out, it worked fine, but clean up was a little more difficult.)

Brush scones with an egg and water mixture (1 egg, 1 T. water.) Sprinkle with coarse or ganulated sugar (I don't bother with the sugar but the egg and water makes them brown better.)

Bake at 375 for 25 - 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

V.

latelatebloomer
12-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Is anyone else a fan of soup for breakfast? I can't have the delightful old comfort (starchy) foods like pancakes, cereal, scones, etc - and I get tired of eggs (don't tell my hens.) Soup is filling, warming, nutrutious, easy to digest - really great for workout mornings!

Lise
12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi LLB--I've never had soup for breakfast. But it sounds like a perfectly good one to me.

Veronica, thanks for the scone recipe. Have you ever made it with something lower fat than heavy cream? If that's a required element, then I'll be making them only to impress someone! :p If I could substitute buttermilk or soy milk, then I could do it. Also, is that really twelve tablespoons of butter? No wonder I love scones so much! :D Lise

RoadRaven
12-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Yes LLB!

I have had soup for breakfast (though not on days like today - 28' and thats with the fan on, in the shade and all the windows open!!!)

Soup for breakfast is great with a slice of bread.
The other thing I enjoy is left-over stir-fry vegies...

In fact, chops or steak do me well in the morning.

But yes, a warm, chunky soup is delicious, nutritious, low fat and sets me up well for a bike ride.

SadieKate
12-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I was going to say I love NY style cheesecake for breakfast, but I see you want lowfat. That's no fun!

The scones sound good. When will they be delivered? :p

DirtDiva
12-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Apple crumble also makes for a kick-arse (but not necessarily healthy) breaky!

Veronica, thanks for the scone recipe. Have you ever made it with something lower fat than heavy cream? If that's a required element, then I'll be making them only to impress someone! :p If I could substitute buttermilk or soy milk, then I could do it. Also, is that really twelve tablespoons of butter? No wonder I love scones so much! :D Lise

I've never made scones that don't use ordinary old (that's figurative, not literal :eek: ) milk. And I'm pretty sure I've never made scones with any butter/marge. In fact, I suspect I've never made scones that don't involve Alison Holst's Baking Mix. I'm all about simplicity when it comes to cooking. :D

Veronica
12-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Sorry, I don't do lowfat. :-) It just doesn't taste as good. I prefer to eat a little of something that I like. I know that method doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me. The scones are really easy. I often make them on the weekend. I think they are a good pre-ride food.

V.

yellow
12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
Were these not the scones that, once upon a ride, I was to split one with SK and ended up inhaling the whole thing? :rolleyes:

I agree with you, V. Eat what you want. Just eat less/smaller portion/whatever. But diet can be such a mental game...I know I battled with it for a long time whilst changing my habits (that is, transitioning from watch everything! to eat what I want, just less...).

Plus I have a couple of added advantages. Cheesecake would kill me outright (OK, I exaggerate; I'd really only be miserable for days). And while I will eat (dark) chocolate, I'm not very fond of it.

Veronica
12-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Yellow said: Were these not the scones that, once upon a ride, I was to split one with SK and ended up inhaling the whole thing? :rolleyes:

yep - same recipe - but I used fresh blueberries in those I think.

V.

SadieKate
12-12-2005, 02:58 PM
I forgot about the case of the missing scone! Dagnabit! I want a scone!

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=3056&page=2&highlight=scone

Veronica
12-12-2005, 03:12 PM
How about a Cherry Ripe instead?

V.

SadieKate
12-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Can I have both? The combo probably possesses unique therapeutic values. :p As soon as Bubba gets home I'm going try a short drive downtown. If so, I am on the mend!!!!!!

I'm going to ask the boys about tires recommendations after this weekend's fiasco.

Veronica
12-12-2005, 03:50 PM
That's terrific! I'm glad you're feeling better. If you've been a good girl, you can have both.

V

SadieKate
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I've been a very good girl! :p

jjules
12-13-2005, 04:21 AM
the scone talk is probably over...lol but my mum gave me a recipe for scones that is 1 cup of diet lemonade, 1 cup low fat /lite cream, add plain flour until consistency is right for scones... approx 3 cups from memory. thats it. brush tops with milk if you want and bake 20 mins moderate oven :D

SadieKate
12-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Mmm, the non-vegan V version is yummmmyyyy! Made my breakfast very tasty.

Thank you.;)