PDA

View Full Version : Minneapolis Women's Bike Races

OJazzy1
12-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Hello ladies!

So glad to have found a place where there are FEMALE cyclists! WOOT!

I am in Bemidji, Minnesota, and I am the only female cyclist in our cycling club. It is a bit lonely.

I am just getting in to bike racing and would really like to dive in this coming season. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should start with? So far I have done a couple of centuries and my first duathlon this past year. I am a pretty aggressive cyclist, I road bike, I am getting my first tri bike here in the next week! I am so excited.

Nice to "meet" you all.

Norse
12-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Welcome OJazzy1! Since the title of your post seemed to imply that you are seeking info specific to Mpls., or the Cities in general, you might want to contact one of the bigger local bike shops (both of which, I believe, sponsor teams): http://penncycle.com/ and http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/. You also might try posting your question on the main "Open Topic - cycling related" board.

OJazzy1
12-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Thank Norsegoddess. Just getting used to things around here, I appreciate the direction.

mmckelly
12-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Hey Ojazzy - I don't post a lot here, but I just noticed your post. I'm a racer in the Minneapolis area and I volunteer a lot with the Minnesota Cycling Federation (the local association of USA Cycling that coordinates the calendar and some programs, etc.).
Have you seen startbikeracing.com? It's a website developed by the MCF with tips, advice, a list of MN clubs, and, when it gets closer to the race season, a link to the MCF race calendar.

The first race of the season, and often the best attended, is the Ken Woods Memorial Race - this year it will be April 27, near Cannon Falls. More information on that will be on mcf.net, startbikeracing.com, and gopherwheelmen.org as it becomes available.

If the trek to Cannon Falls is too much, there are typically a few races in the St. Cloud area each year - however, I don't think the date has been set for those yet. Another good option could be the Memorial Day Weekend races - there is a road race, time trial, circuit race, and crit all in three days!

And, if you were only going to do one race this year, I would say make it the Southside Sprint - a crit in South Minneapolis with awesome prizes, huge support of the neighborhood (people come out and set up grills and lawn chairs along the course!), lots of great places to eat and watch the other races from - something you can really make a day of. This year that one will be July 21.

Another thing I am trying to work on is organizing a series of clinics for new racers, especially women. The first of these is likely to be at a University of Minnesota race, which will be the day after Ken Woods, on April 28, but the location has yet to be determined.

Anyway, I clearly love talking about this, so if you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM or post a response!

OJazzy1
01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I sent you a PM mmckelly