PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a rollers workout regimen?

jyyanks
12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
I bought a set of rollers about a month ago and have finally gotten to a place where I don't fall down every 5 seconds!

I'm really not good but I think I can improve with some practice. The thing is, I imagine that it isn't good for me to just jump on and start pedaling (which I've been doing). My guess is that I should warm up first and then see if I can work myself up to a certain speed, or maybe I need to keep changing my gears after 5 minutes?

In any event, can anyone recommend a good training regimen for 30-45 minutes on rollers? I want to get the most out of the rollers and I feel like I need to have some sort of workout plan.

Thanks in advance for your help.

OakLeaf
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
It's been a long time, but pretty much the only structured workout I ever did on rollers was ladder cadence intervals. I'd go one minute at high cadence, one minute recovery, and increase the cadence by 10 RPM every interval until I got to the highest cadence I could maintain for a minute - then go back down the ladder in 10 RPM increments.

It really helped my pedal stroke - a LOT. I should get a new set of rollers just so I can work on that again.

jyyanks
12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks Oakleaf! How long did you warm up for? What did you do for warm up/cool down - did you stretch?

I actually don't have a bike computer on my bike so not sure what my cadence is. Do you have one that you can recommend? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a total biking newbie!