PDA

View Full Version : Pull Up/Push Up Madness

Veronica
11-29-2011, 05:33 AM
Sometimes Shawna, my trainer, is So evil.

Today's first set - do 1 pull up, 5 push ups, 2 pull ups, 10 push ups... repeat this pattern until 10 pull ups, 50 push ups.

I did one and two pull ups on my own, the rest Shawna assisted. Every pull up I do on my own makes me want to giggle gleefully. :D The push ups were fine until I got to thirty - and the last few of the thirty my muscles were burning. I got through 35 push ups - barely. But I had to break 40 and 45 into two pieces. And sadly 50 was broken into three.

That's 55 pull ups and 275 push ups!

I wonder how sore I'll be tomorrow.

Veronica

Jolt
11-29-2011, 08:25 AM
That is impressive! Do you have any good suggestions for building upper body strength, with no or minimal equipment? I can do about 7 push-ups at a time right now...ugh. Starting to work on it but could use some suggestion for building balanced upper-body strength since I am pretty pathetic in that department. I wish the Y here had a rock climbing gym like my old one did--that was a fun way to build functional strength (I find lifting weights less than exciting...would much rather run, hike etc. which is how I've gotten into the situation I am in now!).

Veronica
11-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Push ups are good. You can do them in various ways - feet on something, hands on a bench, hands really close, or far apart. All those work you in different ways.

I also like tricep dips. We did a bunch of those today too.

Oh and I would never do any of this if I hadn't started with Shawna. Having someone who pushes me really helps. Maybe something like a boot camp class would help.

Veronica

amb
11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
+1 on boot camp. We have one thru my work on Monday nights at a gym around the corner from our office. I LOVE it! We've done 9 weeks now I think and I can tell my wimpy upper body is getting stronger. Last night the push ups were easier. I've been doing them on my knees (the girlie kind) but I might have to give the real deal a shot soon! :)

I'm impressed with 50 pull ups!! I have to use the "rubber band" helper on the pull up bar at boot camp....the rubber strap that helps hoist you up. Oh well.

OakLeaf
11-29-2011, 03:56 PM
You can do eccentric pull-ups - that's how most things I've looked at recommend building. Boost or climb to the pull-up position, then let your feet hang and lower yourself as slowly as you can until your elbows are nearly straight - then repeat.

You can also do pull-ups in a semi-supine position to a low bar, sort of TRX-style. It won't work the exact same muscles as doing them vertically, but it will help build.

I need to do some... V, you are awesome as always!

Crankin
11-30-2011, 04:51 PM
We do so many reps in my strength and core class, it's nauseating. Really, some of it is the time, 5:30 AM, with no cardio warm up. The gym opens at 5:30, the class starts, boom. I have no problem doing cardio at this time of the day, but I am so weak in my upper body, this stuff is doubly hard. Lifting the smallest weighed bar is painful, not like I can't do the reps, but more like it I feel like my my neck is going to implode from just balancing the bar behind me. I have started using teeny weights (3 lbs and 5 lbs) for most of the stuff. I can do about 5 regular push ups, and a lot of the ones on my knees. It's doing them after I've done 5,000 reps of other stuff that sucks. Tricep dips on the step with 2 blocks, I can do. Sit ups, I'm fine with those, in many variations. I can really see how bad my balance is. Even the overweight, out of shape people can do those things and I am putting my foot down or shaking. It's amazing I can ride!
Hey, I am still going, but it seems like my body just hurts all of the time since I started. I will not go to the boot camp class until my foot heals, but I fear that would cripple me!
Not seeing any changes in my body, but it's only been about 4-5 weeks. Generally, when I have done personal training I've seen changes almost right away. I am not sure I want to spend the $; I don't love my new gym. The classes are fine, but the people are not friendly at all.
No wonder I prefer to just do cardio :(.