PDA

View Full Version : The Mysterious Rubbing Noise

Veronica
11-30-2005, 05:13 AM
This morning I finally decide to take a look at Fluffy and see if I can figure out what caused the sudden rubbing on my ride on Sunday. Yeah, I haven't felt like riding the last two days. I've been tired. November is already a banner month for me - most miles ever in a month. Thanks to my friends who kept me busy on weekends with rides. :) So I've been a slug and driving to work. But today I'm ready to get back on the bike. Even if all I do is commute. Parent teacher conferences start today. I need the time outside.

The location of the rubbing is certainly between the fender and the tire, right under the brakes. But I can't see anything that could be causing it. There's plenty of clearance on both sides. But there is a rubbing. I can hear it and feel it as I turn the pedals. It's then it hits me. The rubbing is only on a certain part of the tire. I check the spokes - no firmly attached. But what's this? MUD! A big wad of mud, totally stuck to the tire. It's the spot. My ride was cut short because of mud! So I clean the mud of. It smelled like mud, not something else. And the case of the mysterious rubbing is solved.

V.

mary9761
11-30-2005, 05:20 AM
good to hear you solved the mystery, I have a problem periodically with my kickstand rubbing the sidewall of my tire and making a "quacking" sound. :o

luv'nAustin
11-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Don't ya love it when a mysterious noise is solved? For me it was an annoying clicking sound on the first day of a summer tour that I was doing with my brother in North Dakota. It took me til midday the second day before I discovered that it was the plastic tag (attatched to my seat for identification as a ride participant) that was somehow clicking with every tire rotation! It was a quick fix and nobody missed the noise!

CorsairMac
11-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I'm a-thinking ya'll should frame that hunk of mud, display it proudly as mystery solved! changing your name yet again to "Veronicagathachristie"

bikerchick68
11-30-2005, 09:35 AM
it was a hunka hunka burning mud... :D

mary9761
11-30-2005, 09:39 AM
it was a hunka hunka burning mud... :D

LOL :D :D :D

Bike Goddess
11-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Okay Ms V- now we can REALLY do the Bears! When would you like to schedule your next ride??????????

Veronica
11-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Well, Mr. Zippy comes home on Friday. I don't know how jet lagged he'll be, so I'm not scheduling anything for awhile.

V.

Lise
11-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I check the spokes - no firmly attached. But what's this? MUD! A big wad of mud, totally stuck to the tire. It's the spot. My ride was cut short because of mud! So I clean the mud of. It smelled like mud, not something else. And the case of the mysterious rubbing is solved.
V.

Ha! Mud! I love that sort of explanation! Glad to hear it wasn't anything stinkier! :eek: Lise

mary9761
12-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Ha! Mud! I love that sort of explanation! Glad to hear it wasn't anything stinkier! :eek: Lise

I hadn't had my Little Navigator that could very long when I started commuting to babysit (sounds funny :p ) I didn't SEE what I'd run through, but very quickly KNEW I'd done it. I was soooooo mad :mad: I was sure she was ruined! As mad as I was about the situation with the bike, I DID ruin a good portion of a sketch pad with many original designs and drawings for my cloth dolls (one of my OTHER obsessions) I didn't realize the back pack I'd been using had a hole in it AND that I'd had more than the BIKE get nasty.. :mad: :mad: