PDA

View Full Version : Maybe not epic, but I did laugh

cusepack
11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
So yesterday, I'm out for my ride. I always greet everyone, whether they're cycling, running, walking . . . I just so enjoy weekend morning rides and seeing so many people out enjoying what they love. Anyway . . . Another cyclist and I pass one another (opposite directions), I nod my head, say "Good Morning" and carry on. About 1/2 hour later, I came upon him again, only this time, I was about 5 car lengths behind him. I continue at my pace, not thinking about passing, catching up, etc., just keeping at my pace and enjoying the ride. I began to catch up, and soon thereafter, we were side by side, I nodded my head again, and continued on. No sooner had I gotten about one car length ahead of him, then he shifted up, mashed his pedals and passed me. Honestly, I had to laugh (and I did, out loud!). I thought to myself, "geez, did I really threaten his manlihood that much that he felt the need to catch up and pass me?" Granted, I could tell he was an extreme newbie as he was dressed for arctic cycling (it was about 60 here in Miami), and he kept shaking out his hands due to what I think was numbness, and although he may have his gear in order, his cycling etiquette leaves something to be desired. I suppose like everyone else, he'll learn along the way. Mind you, I'm relatively new as well, but I respect every cyclist, no matter how slow or fast they go. I respect them for their love of the sport, just I love it.

Kathryn

Trekhawk
11-27-2005, 07:51 PM
So yesterday, I'm out for my ride. I always greet everyone, whether they're cycling, running, walking . . . I just so enjoy weekend morning rides and seeing so many people out enjoying what they love. Anyway . . . Another cyclist and I pass one another (opposite directions), I nod my head, say "Good Morning" and carry on. About 1/2 hour later, I came upon him again, only this time, I was about 5 car lengths behind him. I continue at my pace, not thinking about passing, catching up, etc., just keeping at my pace and enjoying the ride. I began to catch up, and soon thereafter, we were side by side, I nodded my head again, and continued on. No sooner had I gotten about one car length ahead of him, then he shifted up, mashed his pedals and passed me. Honestly, I had to laugh (and I did, out loud!). I thought to myself, "geez, did I really threaten his manlihood that much that he felt the need to catch up and pass me?" Granted, I could tell he was an extreme newbie as he was dressed for arctic cycling (it was about 60 here in Miami), and he kept shaking out his hands due to what I think was numbness, and although he may have his gear in order, his cycling etiquette leaves something to be desired. I suppose like everyone else, he'll learn along the way. Mind you, I'm relatively new as well, but I respect every cyclist, no matter how slow or fast they go. I respect them for their love of the sport, just I love it.

Kathryn

Good for you Kathryn keep smiling and nodding. I love seeing other riders that give a nod or wave even if sometimes its just the pinky finger. Funny about the passing thing - do woman ever do that or is it just a man thing do you think?

Grog
11-27-2005, 09:57 PM
I don't think that's what your guy was doing (considering how he was dressed!) but I know that my own behaviour on the bike can seem erratic to some sometimes. When I do intervals I ride extremely slowly, then as hard as I can for a minute, so I pass other cyclists, then I slow down again, etc. I never do that on busy roads, though, only where there is an extra wide shoulder, but I know it must seem bizarre to some because they have to pass me because I'm so slow and then ... I pass them again. Annoying I know.

SadieKate
11-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Without knowing his training plan, I wouldn't assume anything. When I ride by myself, I would appear to have pretty random speed also. I pick all kinds of weird things to use as interval markers. If he's used to a much warmer climate and is visiting for the weekend, 60 could feel cold. At 60 I'd have on knee warmers or tights and a long sleeve jersey at a minimum. And if his hands are sensitive to cold who knows what he was trying to do. Just say hi and pedal on your own pace.

Trek, the passing thing -- I do it also if another cyclist is the "weird thing" I've picked out as my marker. I do usually try to say something nice as I pass so that I don't offend and they know what I'm doing.

RoadRaven
11-27-2005, 10:40 PM
I always try to nod and grin (though I often wonder if its a grimace...)
If I am really concentrating I just raise the fingers on my rights hand (we drive/ride on the left here) in a psuedo wave... if I'm not pushing myself I call out good morning.

I have never had the urge to "catch" someone who has passed me, unless it is my partner or one of my sons

cusepack
11-28-2005, 02:39 PM
True, I have no idea what his training routine was for that day, I guess I just thought it rather odd since he never once acknowledged any of my greetings, and had looked over his shoulder three times prior to my riding side by side with him, and then, after passing, he stepped it up a notch or two. I've never experienced anything like that with other cyclists here in Miami - there's always a first for everything, right?!?!

And as far as his clothing, if he wasn't local, he sure must live closer to the equator than I do, because I was sweating just looking at his gear!!! Hey, and who knows, if he was a newbie, he may have just been overly excited to try out the new duds!!

caligurl
11-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Granted, I could tell he was an extreme newbie as he was dressed for arctic cycling (it was about 60 here in Miami)

i'm a relative newbie too (only been riding a year and a half) but if its 60 degrees out.. i have on leg warmers.... long sleeves.. a jacket.. and ear covers! heck... even in the 70's i have leg warmers and long sleeves (and full finger gloves.. but may.. that's MAY forego the ear covers for a regular sweatband!

CorsairMac
11-29-2005, 11:18 AM
I'm with you Cuse - last week during my commute home I passed a young man on the bike trail. He was just noodling along, no real hurry, not even pedalling hard. Next thing I knew here he came barrelling past me riding as hard as he could! I just started laughing! I was just trying to ride home - it wasn't a race. I'm figuring I was his "interval" trainer that day! I did feel sorry for him tho - I caught him at every cross street! :rolleyes:

Geonz
12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I do sometimes get "shrinking butt syndrome," though I can control it. I've seen it happen *lots* on group rides. We're doing a nice job holding our advertised pace, and everybody's promised to be good 'cause it's supposed to be a level 1 ride... but then one person puts on a burst of speed. That sight of their hindquarters getting further away activates something (both men & women) and suddenly there's a whole group taking off.

I confess, I *do* get the urge to catch people sometimes - just because it's fun. I'll say howdy, though, especially if they catch me on those cross streets!