PDA

View Full Version : heading to the east valley in April

Crankin
11-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi there Phx area riders,

My husband and I will be visiting family and friends during the 3d week in April. We are planning on bringing our bikes, but need some help figuring out where to ride. We are former Tempeans (is that a word?) and cannot really fathom any type of decent riding in the area where we used to live (McClintock s/o Elliot). We are not sure where we will be staying, but we are willing to drive to get in 2-3 good rides while we are there. I know there must be some good riding up in N. Scottsdale, Cave Creek, Carefree, but I am not as familiar with that area. What we don't want is riding in 4 lane traffic with a light every mile. Right now we ride in an area that is pretty much a cycling mecca for the greater Boston area and we are spoiled! I'd like to see some nice desert scenery, if there's any left in the Valley....
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Robyn

ladyjai
12-20-2005, 09:32 PM
missed this one... I can hook you up.

1 awesome ride. Fountain Hills. I'm not sure where most folks choose their starting point, but perhaps around Pima and Shea would sound good to me. Then head east on Shea. Take a left on Palisades. follow the climb up and down then take a left on Fountain Hills (blvd?) Follow that as it becomes a "highway" (this is some gorgeous scenery!) and go until you have no choice to turn left (or right onto a dirt path). left through the city until you come to a choice of civilization to the left, or some kind of recreational facility straight ahead. take a left, then expect a steady climb until you get to go wheeeeeee down dynamite. Lots of scenery there, so bring a camera if you are into that thing. there is mild traffic in the mornings, at least half being recreationalists.

Mummy Mountain ride
http://www.bikejournal.com/map.asp?MapID={8E24B4C9-296E-4B25-B1F6-80DE86EB9BD8}

and ahwatukie loop:
http://sportsfun.com/gaba/maps/AhwaFooty.pdf
(just continue north on 48th when returning to avoid elliot. we ride there so that we can get to the food stop :-D)

South Mountain is another beautiful climb. It is about 7 miles of 4% grade with 2 shorts stints of 6-8% at the top before the peak. Just gear down and you'll make it just fine. If you want a longer ride, our club rides from kiwannis park, and I can dig out the route for you.

All four have climbing, but also scenery and are not on busy thoroughfares. the fountain hills one is the only "exception". Shea can be busy, but if you are riding in the morning, it is not very much so, and the area is littered with cyclists in warmer weather, so the drivers are not as rude. If you are not comfortable taking the lane, dynamite will not be a fun road, you will be going fast enough to need to take the lane for safety. there is another lane, and not enough traffic to concern me, but I'm a commuter as well. Personally, I'd go early and enjoy the beauty.

i'll have to think and see what other options I can find

Crankin
12-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Thanks! I figured that should be some decent riding around Fountain Hills and Ahwatukee. Still not sure if this is definite. I might want to hook up with a club ride, too. I used to take my kids to Kiwanis Park when they were little...
I will keep in touch.
Robyn