PDA

View Full Version : Rain??? Ugh!

AZchick
11-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Ok, I've been cycling for 8 months here in sunny AZ. This weekend is my very first big charity ride and it's supposed to rain! I have a bike that cost a bit of cash, plus I've never ridden in rain... never had to.
Is it bad for my Specialized bike? My shoes? Cleats?
What do I wear?
Are there tips to be safe riding in rain?

Biciclista
11-07-2011, 03:06 PM
the rain won't hurt your bike. if it gets really dirty, wash it off after the ride with gently running water and a soft rag (and clean green if necessary)
your shoes and cleats will dry. dress a little warmer than you normally do, but unless it's really cold, the rain won't bother you (unless it comes down in torrents)
slow down on curves and turns. give yourself more time to stop...

ny biker
11-07-2011, 03:10 PM
For safety, keep in mind that painted lines on the road and metal things like grates and manhole covers are slippery in the rain.

Probably the biggest problem I have is when the rain gets in my eyes. I find it helps to have a visor on the helmet or wear a cycling cap under it. And I keep my sunglasses on, usually switching to lighter lenses.

For wet shoes, stuff something like newspaper or paper towels into them to help them dry faster after the ride.

If possible, put fenders on your bike.

Owlie
11-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Riding in rain is a fact of life for the rest of us. Though those of us who don't live in Seattle will try to avoid it. ;) How much is it supposed to rain?

No, it won't hurt your bike. Clean your drivetrain and brakes when you get home, though. Your clothes and shoes will dry. I'd say leave them out in the sun for a bit, but I don't deal with the beasties that you have to! If you don't have fenders, you may end up with dirt/mud on your back from that "rooster tail" if it's heavy rain. It'll wash out.

Wear what you normally wear, with an extra layer. (I rode 30 miles in rain this summer and was cold and unhappy for the last ten miles.) Perhaps a shell with pit zips.

Riding in the rain's a lot like driving in rain. Give yourself extra time to stop, and take turns slowly. Also, if you're in a bike lane, you may well end up with a nasty mess on your hands because of your lack of storm drains. (DBF lives in your general area. He tells me these things.)

It can be a lot of fun. Just be safe. :)

AZchick
11-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks everyone... NY: I wish I could get some fenders... but I don't think I have time with just 5 days. I can call around and check. Since there are 80 riders, I'm sure there will be lots of bikes with no fenders and lots of splashing. Owlie, thanks for the tip about the shell with pit zips. It's going to be in the 40's or 50's... double whammy. yuck. I was more worried about my bike than myself I think. But I would like to be as comfortable as possible. I appreciate all the advice!

azfiddle
11-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm another Arizonan who thinks I might melt if I ride in the rain. I would not last for long in the Pacific NW, I'm sure.

I looked at the long-term forecast for El Tour de Tucson and though it's 10 days away and probably not an accurate forecast, looks like there is a chance of rain for that.... so I've got the same thing on my mind!

I've seen fenders at Performance Bike in Tucson recently, so maybe you can find some in Phoenix.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

AZchick
11-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I'll check out Performance in Chandler... thanks azfiddle. I'm doing the metric century in Florence for CF. Good luck on the Tour!!!

tangentgirl
11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Riding in the rain is fine, you just have to be careful and know a few things. Can you swim?

the rain won't hurt your bike.
This is only partially true. Your bike will be just fine in the rain, unless it is made of carbon. Carbon is a type of fabric, and what happens when fabric gets wet? It gets really, really heavy. This is a scientific fact, and you could end up with an 80 lb. bicycle at the end of the day. Otherwise, though, you should be fine.

Oh, unless your bike is made of steel. Everyone knows that steel rusts, and bicycle steel rusts extra fast. If you are riding a bike made out of steel, it might rust right out from under you, and you would look quite silly sitting in the middle of the street on just a saddle. I have heard that aluminum and titanium bicycles have similar problems, but that could just be an urban legend.

So, the rain won't hurt your bike, unless, of course, it is made of carbon, steel, aluminum or titanium.

I'm another Arizonan who thinks I might melt if I ride in the rain.

I saw this and thought it was just a metaphor. However, I did a little research and found out that if you live in Arizona or Southern California (like me), there is some danger of actual melting. Well, just a little, and only if the rain gets on your skin.

It's called rainburn, and if the drops of horrible liquid falling from the sky (ugh) come in contact with bare skin, they will first create a rash. After time, if enough rain falls on you, the affected area will gain a liquidlike consistency. At that point, you will need to treat the skin immediately with a blowdryer for at least 45 minutes. If you neglect this, you may find yourself actually melting away.

Luckily, you can prevent rainburn with a healthy application of plastic-wrap and miracle whip (not mayonaise!). You can also try riding with an umbrella, which has the double benefit of making you extra aerodynamic. This is also a scientific fact.

Probably the biggest problem I have is when the rain gets in my eyes.

This may not be as bad as you think. Last time rain got in my eyes while I was riding, I had X-ray vision for three hours. I was riding at this Phish concert, and it started raining. I kinda felt sick for a little bit, but then I threw up the mushrooms and bam! X-ray vision. I could see through everything, it was epic. I also could feel lots and lots of love for everyone, and I didn't even mind when Honeybear tattooed a Phish fish riding a bicycle on my...well, never mind that. I haven't been able to duplicate this rain-induced transparency, but next time it rains, I will be sure to grab my bamboo bike and saran wrap and head out and see if I can make it happen again.

Written because I, too, live in a low rain climate and am rather sketchy about that horrible liquid falling from the sky. :)

AZchick
11-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the chuckle :D

Desert Tortoise
11-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Oh I know what you mean about riding in the rain. So Arizonan here.

For riding in the rain or soon after with all the puddles I make sure my tires are in good condition. I also have to deal with a lot of sand where I live. Worn down tires don't have as much traction and can be slippery in wet conditions.

I've heard but have not tried yet is the poor man/woman's rain glove. Or something like that. If your long finger gloves are not waterproof, than use latex gloves under your long finger gloves to help keep your fingers dry and warm in the cold rain. Heard about this in one of those, if you are in a jam....

If you do have to dry out your shoes after the ride, remember to remove any insoles before setting out to dry. It will help dry faster.

Good luck and have fun!

AZ Fiddle, good luck with ETT.

tangentgirl
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
You are welcome!

In all seriousness, watch out for people who are not used to driving in the rain. They won't even imagine that there could be bicycles on the road and they won't be looking because they are all in a tiff about the rain.

Have fun and good luck!

AZchick
11-07-2011, 05:15 PM
OK.... I will just be careful, be aware of wacko drivers, try to be waterproof (without mayonaisse), take care to lube the chain and dry my shoes properly afterward... and I WILL relax and have fun.
I just might grab a pair of those thin latex gloves too...

ny biker
11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
I think it helps if your tire pressure is lower than usual, to help with traction.

featuretile
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I went on a bike tour in Japan in September. The last 5 days were the edge of a typhoon (hurricane). It rained so hard and I was so wet that when a truck went by and splashed me, it made no difference at all. It was so hot out that you really could not wear rain gear because you overheated from sweating. The one saving grace was that the rain was warm. And we learned about the newspaper in the shoe trick.

Previously, I had avoided riding in the rain (and I still do when possible). In central California, it does not rain in the summer, so when it rains in the winter, it is cold rain. However, I had thought that it would feel more dangerous than it actually did. You do have to watch for slippery things like grates, and leave more time to stop. I tried to keep more distance between me and the other cyclists, and did not ride as fast. Sometimes it just seemed like such a crazy thing to do. But nobody got hurt and everyone survived. It was a really amazing trip despite the rain. I had to get some rust off my chain when I got home.

happysurfer
11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Since I'm a beginner and have never ridden in the rain, I don't have any comments to help, but I do have a question: If it rains in AZ after a long dry spell (like in Ca where I'm from) wouldn't the streets be extra slick from the oil run-off? It's my paranoia of run-off that kept me indoors last weekend after SoCal's first rain in a few months. Then again, I'm from LA where sprinkling is considered rain!

Crankin
11-08-2011, 03:17 AM
OK, I'm a former Zonie, and though I live in an area where it does rain, I avoid it like the plague. The only times I've ridden in the rain is when I got caught. Would not normally start a ride in the rain, unless it's just a drizzle.
That said, I spent at least 75% of my tour this summer riding in pouring, torrential rain. It sucked. I can't see, my clear glasses get totally fogged and beaded up with rain, and when I the them off, the rain hurts my eyes.
However, you can stay warm and dry if you have the right gear. At the temperatures you are expecting, hypothermia is a real concern. I know some people here don't wear anything special to ride in the rain, but I have been very close to hypothermia after riding in conditions like you describe, to the point, that when I got back to my car, I put the heat on, stripped, wrapped myself in a beach towel that was in the car, and shivered for the 9 mile trip back to my house.
I'd wear a light weight wool base layer, with a rain jacket that has pit zips, waterproof gloves of any kind, and wool socks. If you can, get a helmet cover! It will really make a difference. Also, some toe covers for your shoes.
Yeah, and afterwards, take the innersoles out of your shoes and stuff them with newspaper. I used that trick at least 4 days on my 6 day tour in August.

Be careful. People in AZ freak out when they drive in the rain, the roads get greasy, and there's crap in the shoulder. Allow plenty of time for braking and cornering.

AZchick
11-08-2011, 03:57 AM
Yup Surfer... same thing here.. it does become slick if it hasn't rained in awhile. Luckily (?) it rained here twice this past weekend... and these are rural roads we're riding Saturday, so hopefully the surfaces should be cleaner.

AZchick
11-08-2011, 04:00 AM
Thanks Crankin... I really need to get a base layer anyway.. I'm gonna hit up the bike shop this week and see what I can find that will help.

spokewench
11-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Ok, I've been cycling for 8 months here in sunny AZ. This weekend is my very first big charity ride and it's supposed to rain! I have a bike that cost a bit of cash, plus I've never ridden in rain... never had to.
Is it bad for my Specialized bike? My shoes? Cleats?
What do I wear?
Are there tips to be safe riding in rain?

At least you are two hours south of where I live. We had 5 and 6 inches of snow the last two nights and were down to I think 9 degrees last night. Just be happy that you can ride

AZchick
11-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Yuck! Snow!!! C'mon down here and ride with us spokewrench! (on a sunny/warm day)

azfiddle
11-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah, but Spokewench can gloat in July and August when we have to get up at 5 am to beat the summer heat!

AZchick
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
hahahaha... Yes!!! Those days are still fresh in my memory... along with the humidity!!!

marni
11-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Thanks Crankin... I really need to get a base layer anyway.. I'm gonna hit up the bike shop this week and see what I can find that will help.

as always the two magic words are wool underlayers. Wool breathes very easily. I wear a wool underlayer anytime it is under 70 degrees here in Houston. Have gotten caught out in a rain storm unprepared only once- I spent three days recovering from hypothermia. The temperature was 55. Keep your core warm.

marni

AZchick
11-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I really need to find some wool in the next three days.

Crankin
11-09-2011, 01:08 AM
Go to REI or any other outdoor store. This does not have to be cycling specific.

AZchick
11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
I got wool!!! Yeah for REI! Got weatherproof gloves and wool socks too. I kinda want it to rain now... At least I'll be warm.

marni
11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
believe me, too warm is better than being cold, you can always shed a layer or unzip if you get too warm, but it's hard to warm up once your core temp starts to drop.

withm
11-10-2011, 05:58 AM
believe me, too warm is better than being cold, you can always shed a layer or unzip if you get too warm, but it's hard to warm up once your core temp starts to drop.

Exactly. It's much easier to STAY warm than to GET warm.

spokewench
11-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Exactly. It's much easier to STAY warm than to GET warm.

I've never had great clothes to ride in the rain like the Pacific Nwesterners we have on this forum, but I swear by the cheap clear plastic raincoats with velcro on the front that they sell in bike stores. You may get hot from within, but at least it will keep you warm.

PamNY
11-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I got wool!!! Yeah for REI! Got weatherproof gloves and wool socks too. I kinda want it to rain now... At least I'll be warm.

When you do experience rain-on-wool, if you are like me, you will be delighted at how well it works to keep you warm.

I'll never forget the first time wool tights kept me comfy on my bike during a chilly, drizzly day. I became a believer.

Dogmama
11-19-2011, 02:38 AM
Your ride is probably over by now - however - be sure to watch braking. Your rims will get wet & braking may be compromised.

Somebody suggested lowering your tire pressure. This is good for gripping the road but bad because you're more likely to pick up those sticky things that cause flats. In AZ, we don't get a lot of rain so the road edges tend to accumulate lots of flat-makers.

breeze
11-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Any non-wool base layer suggestions for cold, damp riding? Sadly I'm allergic to wool/animal fibers. For skiing, I generally stick with Lightweight Polartec, but it doesn't really get wet. Would that work as well as wool?