PDA

View Full Version : Computer Weirdness

Nanci
11-26-2005, 04:41 PM
So this morning, when I started out on my ride, my cyclocomputer was not reading. I mean, the display would come up,but it wouldn't show a speed. I tried moving it around, but couldn't get a reading. It worked fine yesterday afternoon.

After an hour, it started showing the speed, but it was sporadic and inaccurate. It would show the correct speed, then drop down to 2 mph, then instantly go back to correct, then drop again.

After another 30 minutes, after resuming riding after a potty break, it began working normally, and continued to do so for the rest of the ride, another three hours.

Is it possible that the battery was just cold, and as it warmed up, it began to work? At first, when I was getting the goofy readings, I thought this was typical of a dying battery, but then it started working normally again.

Temp went from 45 to 75.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Nanci

Grog
11-26-2005, 05:01 PM
I'd bet on the battery, even if it started working again afterward... Low batteries are more sensitive to cold (although 45 is not that cold, but it could make a difference)...

Is it a wireless or wired computer? Because if it's wireless then there are two different batteries...

Trek420
11-26-2005, 05:13 PM
uhm, did you check the position of the magnet on the spoke? and/or the little recepter thingy bopper on your front fork (gosh I'm so technical)?

if either one gets moved then no speed shows or wildly innacurate.

on my Cateye wireless if it shows time/date but not speed and/or distance that's it and a simple teeny tiny tweak wll do.

When the battery dies the whole thing's greyed out.

runnergirl
11-26-2005, 08:41 PM
My computer goes whacky in the cold-even around 45 the cadence thing starts to go. Also, on sigmas the little wire thingy can fall out-if it's half in half out it'll act like that. Which brand is it?

Nanci
11-27-2005, 04:54 AM
It's a Topeak Panorama wireless. (Love it) That's what I thought at first, Trek420, and I spent way too much time messing around with it, and then gave up, and when I turned it back on an hour later, because it was driving me crazy to not know EVERYTHING, even though I was on a mile-marked paved trail, then it started up with the crazy readings.

I think I am going to replace the battery. Seems like it shouldn't be going dead yet- it's only three months old. But over 1500 miles.

Nanci

Trek420
11-27-2005, 06:59 AM
Nanci "It's a Topeak Panorama wireless..... it's only three months old. But over 1500 miles."

woah, that's fantastic! I think it took me a year or more to get those kind of miles!

in terms of battery life I think it's hours not miles, but then when we buy these things, there's no telling how long it's been on the shelf.

Nanci
11-28-2005, 06:29 AM
It was weird yesterday morning, too, when it wasn't so cold. I bought it a new battery, and will test it out tonight after work, if I get home in time! When I spun the front wheel, all looked well, though. I actually read the hours, and think it was around 190 or something. I _hate_ riding and not having the miles counted!

Nanci

CorsairMac
11-28-2005, 01:28 PM
It's a Topeak Panorama wireless. (Love it) That's what I thought at first, Trek420, and I spent way too much time messing around with it, and then gave up, and when I turned it back on an hour later, because it was driving me crazy to not know EVERYTHING, even though I was on a mile-marked paved trail, then it started up with the crazy readings.

I think I am going to replace the battery. Seems like it shouldn't be going dead yet- it's only three months old. But over 1500 miles.

Nanci

it's only 3 mnths old - to you! you have no idea how long it sat on the shelf.

DeniseGoldberg
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
If it's a wireless computer - did you change both batteries (computer + transmitter)? If not, I'd recommend changing the other battery too.

--- Denise

Deanna
11-28-2005, 04:04 PM
If everything else checks out (batteries, sensors, etc), did you happen to park the bike someplace where the computer would be close to a magnet? I once left my bike parked at work with the computer near one of those magnetic security key locks and it acted like that afterwards.

Nanci
12-03-2005, 09:34 AM
It _was_ the battery of the sending unit.

Nanci

Nanci
12-11-2005, 04:46 AM
So yesterday morning was the third day of the new battery. Cold- about 50. I guess that isn't cold for some! I _did_ manage to ride without hat or windproof tights...

I slid the computer into its mount. I take it off the bike when the bike is on the rack, since I've found out the hard way that anything that _can_ fall off _will_ fall off.

So I take off for my ride and am disgusted to find out it isn't picking up. I HATE this for some reason, irrationally, since I am on a mile-marked trail. So I fiddle around with the sending unit/magnet, and take the battery out and warm it up, and after five miles of misery, take the computer out of its mount and mess around with it and slide it back in, and CLICK IT INTO PLACE, duh!!!!! It immediately starts reading.

So, another thing to check would be that it is actually connected to the mount securely.

I didn't start riding until 9:30, late enough apparently for the crazies to be out and about. Walking down the bike path like Dawn of the Dead or something. I rode 80 miles, and as a special treat, 5 miles from my car at the end, saw that Creepy Guy with the sombrero again, riding the opposite direction. Fortunately, he kept on going.

Nanci

uk elephant
03-16-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm having trouble with my wireless computer thingy too and did a quick search and found this thread. Maybe it is just batteries? It has been pretty cold around here lately (right around freezing). I did work for a couple of seconds when I was on the train home the other day, but hasn't worked since. The display lights up and shows time and the stopwatch works, but it's not sensing anything from the little sender so I don't get distance or speed. Somebody mentioned magnetism....could it have anything to do with the train? (I commute most of the way to work by train, then ride the last 3 miles). Or is it just batteries dieing? I'll try getting new batteries this week-end.

Deanna
03-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Now that I sit next to the customer service rep for a company that sells electronics, I now know to check the batteries first. Also, LCDs do have difficulty in cold weather (the liquid crystals slow down or "freeze"), which would explain why it would work inside on the trainer and not so well outside. Magnetism would more likely cause wacky readings.

DebW
03-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Riding in wet weather can cause some weirdness as well. I once biked home in the rain and found that my max speed had been 99 mph. The next unit I bought was waterproof.

Nanci
03-16-2006, 11:01 AM
It turned out my computer problems were caused by it not being clicked into the mount completely...

Nanci

Joy
03-17-2006, 02:45 PM
So far, I'm not getting a good impression of wireless computers. Mine acts just like everyone here was saying. I just went to Radio Shack and got a new battery for the sensor but I havn't tried it out yet. I know it at least sends the signal now as I did spin the wheel. Not sure if it will be giving out crazy readings as before. It worked great for the first few months and then went crazy. Next inline is to reset the entire computer.

moo bean
04-15-2006, 03:38 AM
I just haven't had any luck with my wireless computer. The distance and orientation between the magnet and the sending unit seems to be so specific that even the simple vibration of the wheel against the road is enough to knock it out of the required alignment.
I've reverted to the wired version, and all is good.

ridebikeme
04-15-2006, 10:54 AM
I agree with everyone that suggested that you replace the battery. I have used wireless computers for 5-6 years now, and it seems that they do have a tendency to go through batteries a bit sooner than the wired models. :o

li10up
05-01-2006, 09:36 AM
It was weird yesterday morning, too, when it wasn't so cold. I bought it a new battery, and will test it out tonight after work, if I get home in time! When I spun the front wheel, all looked well, though. I actually read the hours, and think it was around 190 or something. I _hate_ riding and not having the miles counted!

Nanci
Nanci, You should be able to go into the computer and change the odometer reading. Just add in the miles that it didn't record...that way you'll have an accurate record.

Nanci
05-01-2006, 09:43 AM
You mean I could if I didn't have cyclocomputerphobia! I don't know why I can deal with all other technology easily, but I can't deal with bike computers. I am afraid to even adjust the clock!

I did manage to get it unlocked after I locked it by accident, though, a couple weekends ago...

Lava is going to turn 4000 on her next ride!

Nanci