PDA

View Full Version : good Christmas presents?

rubysoho
11-02-2011, 06:57 AM
My bf asked me to pick out some cycling items I would like to have for Christmas. Aside from the Tricross with disk brakes that I have been pining over (and I would NEVER ask for... way too expensive for a gift!!) I don't really know what to ask for.

I do need one or two more pairs of tights but I feel like I would want to try those on. Are there any insulated water bottles you would recommend? Brands of wool socks? I like them thin but haven't found any wool socks that are thin. And yes, I would ask for socks for Christmas. :p Rain gear?

What other winter gear would you want for Christmas? What about non-winter cycling stuff?

Thanks!

indysteel
11-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Not knowing what you already have, I'd suggest the things in my own cycling wardrobe and gear kit that I really like or have found a good use for: arm warmers, toe covers, knickers, buff, thermal headband, thermal hat or beanie, full fingered cold or cool weather gloves, top tube bag, rear tail light, light windbreaker, windproof winter jacket, Zen and the Art of Road bike Maintenance, extra set of tires and tubes, Smartwool socks (try their ultra light weight), Smartwool or Ibex baselayer.

bluebug32
11-02-2011, 07:45 AM
I really like Camelbak's insulated podium bottles, especially the 24oz ones, as it means less water stops in the summer. In the winter they keep a beverage on the warm side too (I like green tea and honey).

Woolies makes some thin wool socks as does Sock Guy. Smart Wool has cycling socks, but they are a little thicker.

If you want tights, can't you try them on and tell you bf which ones you like?

Other gift ideas: Jerseys, Road ID, winter riding gear or inside training DVDs.

indysteel
11-02-2011, 07:54 AM
+1 on the Road ID. You'll have to work with your BF to get the right information for it, but it's a must-have IMO.

Trek-chick
11-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm asking for an indoor trainer or a nice hitch mounted rack for transporting my bicycles.

ny biker
11-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I can't wear the Smartwool cycling socks because they have too much elastic around the arch/mid-foot. I like DeFeet Wooleators, which are thin.

Last year I asked for (and received) a gift card from my LBS. They sell them on their website so out-of-town relatives can get them easily. I'm planning to do the same again this year, to help me buy a new cycle computer. I'm also planning to ask for the reflective wrist bands that Road ID sells.

In the past I've asked for arm warmers and Cool Wings .

Bethany1
11-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I just realized that Christmas is next month. Arghhh.

With clothing, try it on or give him specifics, the exact brand, size, and where to get it. It may not be a surprise, but you'll know it's coming and that's almost as good. There is no way my DH could get clothing w/o those specifics or going with him.

Never hurts to ask for the tricross w/disc brakes. It's Christmas after all. :D I told DH I wanted a Surly Pugsley for Christmas and he fell over laughing. That bike would go over anything. I doubt it's coming home, but he asked.

Books, DVDs, bike parts, items for next summer, classes, being able to go to a retreat/workshop of some kind? Again, give specifics on books, DVDs or parts.

Bethany1
11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Ohhh..gift card if your LBS does that. Even better if you aren't sure. Just tell your friends to get you that and you'll have that bike sooner than you think. LOL.

rubysoho
11-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Love all the suggestions!

This is my first winter trying to cycle in the cold weather so I am a bit clueless. I am thinking I should ask for a mini-maintenance kit of some sort because I keep stealing my bf's allen wrenches and I think I lost one of the smaller sizes last time I took it. :o Oops!

And I am definitely looking into the gift certificate idea. Anything to get me closer to that tricross..... it has become an obsession! Lol.

solobiker
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM
+1 on the Road ID. You'll have to work with your BF to get the right information for it, but it's a must-have IMO.

I got myself one last year and love it! I wear it during runs, hikes, walks, and rides. You just never know what can happen.

bluebug32
11-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I say just ask him for the tricross. What's the harm? Or maybe some money toward the bike? I've had family do this for me before.

amb
11-02-2011, 05:28 PM
+1 on Road ID. I ordered my own this Spring but I'm planning to get one for my dad, my husband, my sister and my brother in law for Christmas. They all ride too and need to have one, IMO.

Antaresia
11-02-2011, 05:52 PM
I love getting socks for Christmas!
And I was just drooling over leggings

http://www.blackmilkclothing.com/categories/LEGGINGS/

But $75?!

I love my LightWeights.
pictured here (http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/Candoia/bikereflector.png)

http://www.lightweights.org/

I must say, I love this thread. Since I live far away from the rest of my family, no one really knows what to get me for Christmas. But this is giving me ideas on what to ask for! I did ask for cotton bandanas and those reflective pant-cuffs (I'm always forgetting mine at work).

Miranda
11-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I say just ask him for the tricross. What's the harm? Or maybe some money toward the bike? I've had family do this for me before.

I kinda thought that too before I read this post. It sounds like that is what you REALLY want. If you start adding up all the other gear he might actually get you... well the bike purchase could have a dent in it. Plus same with family as mentioned. I know personally I'd much rather have my gift money spent be on something the person LOVES, vs something that is liked.

Good Luck.:cool:

rubysoho
11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I kinda thought that too before I read this post. It sounds like that is what you REALLY want. If you start adding up all the other gear he might actually get you... well the bike purchase could have a dent in it. Plus same with family as mentioned. I know personally I'd much rather have my gift money spent be on something the person LOVES, vs something that is liked.

Good Luck.:cool:

Well, I am putting together a list but I did put a limit on spending. So the list gives him items to choose from.

Besides, he isn't too keen on expensive bikes. In fact, I think he secretely questions my sanity for buying the Ruby Elite and thinks I am being snobby about gear choice, disk brakes, etc... when it comes to wanting the Tricross. Then he goes and complains that his free bike hurts him after a mile. :rolleyes: But he is willing to be my SAG if I ever ask. :D

Bike Writer
11-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Lights or gift card to purchase lights is something I am going to ask for this year. I have this multi tool http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2284&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=2284 and like it.

malkin
11-11-2011, 11:12 AM
I just ordered ten Burt's Bees hand repair kits to give as gifts.