PDA

View Full Version : Treating Fleas?

Bethany1
10-26-2011, 06:49 PM
The vet said to buy Knockout E.S. and treat my house after taking my cats to the vet for tapeworms. After reading the label, it almost sounds like you need to wear one of those contamination suits and leave the house for hours.

Anyone used this product and know how to use it properly? How much should be sprayed and how do you know when it's dry? Amazon.com reviews said it took hours and you needed all this safety gear. Or is there something safer and/or better?

Stupid fleas..and my cats are indoor. If my house is infested, my DH's legs would be a mess so I'm not sure it's as bad as my vet insists.

OakLeaf
10-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Well, my situation was different because the animals were outdoors, but this summer I got an infestation of fleas from two feral dogs that we were trying to tame. (We couldn't - they're gone - that's another sad story. :()

I was able to eradicate them by drawing a perimeter in boric acid around all water sources: the basement floor drain, the dehumidifier, and all the commodes that sweat condensation in warmer weather. Fleas can go a long time without eating, but like most critters, they need access to water.

Boric acid isn't completely non-toxic to mammals, but if you could put up gates or something for a few days, to keep your cats from walking through it and then licking their paws, basically as long as they don't ingest it or get a big lungful of powder when you're spreading it, it's safe enough. I'm at high risk for breast cancer (for one thing) so I'm pretty selective about what I'll expose myself to, and I was prepared to keep getting bitten five or six times a day vs. most flea treatments on the market, but boric acid did the trick.

Good luck.

goldfinch
10-27-2011, 05:21 AM
I got a flea infestation in my motorhome last year. I treated the dog with the pills. I vacuumed or washed every surface of the motorhome. I put a piece of flea collar in the vacuum cleaner bag so fleas could not live in there. I thought about trying borax but decided the infestation was too bad. I then used a spot sprayer flea killer, and wore a mask when I sprayed. I lightly sprayed every cloth surface, carpet, couches and drivers cab seats and also sprayed the storage bins. I took out all the bedding and laundry and washed everything. All the bedding got hot water and a hot dryer.

The dog and I left for a very long walk and then we sat outside for a few hours, while I finished the laundry. I opened every window in the MH and ran the fan for a hour or two. Night was here so we went back inside. No fleas and none returned. It was an all day process but it worked.

I wasn't thrilled about using the chemicals but I had a bad allergic reaction to the ankle bites I got from the fleas and the infestation had spread rapidly. This was when my dog was on topical flea killer and it was not quite time to give another dose. Now I only use the pills for the dog. Texas has some nasty fleas.

sookiesue
11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I haven't tried this but my acupuncturist told me that pennyroyal herb can work as a pesticide. I am not sure if you grind up the herb and sprinkle it around, or make tea and spray it around - perhaps the internet can help with those questions - but she advocated its use to get rid of fleas. I have thankfully not had trouble with fleas for many years (that is why I can't remember the details of what she told me!) but if I had them again I would certainly try something natural before getting into the chemical sprays, if possible.
A word of warning, though - Pennyroyal can be a very effective abortifacient - so do NOT use it if you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant, or having visitors who are!

SueDavis
06-20-2012, 02:10 PM
To get rid of them on the dogs, I found that Dawn dishwashing detergent kills them but dries the skin out sometimes. Had gone on vacation and had my dogs at a family members house and after being exhausted from flying home to pick up my dogs, I had to give them a bath in Dawn. The fleas were literally falling off the dogs dead. Was very impressed. As far as the house, I really don't know. Never had a problem with them in the house.

sookiesue
06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Just learned that diatomaceous earth (I got it at my local seed'n'feed store) can combat flea beetles in the garden, mites on chickens, and supposedly fleas on pets. Haven't tried it on pets but thought I'd pass it along.

Also learned that you shouldn't use it on the plants once they start flowering as it is harmful to bees.

lovelygamer
06-21-2012, 04:04 AM
I wish I had advice. We struggle with this in my house. We have three indoor cats and one outdoor dog.

The only 100 % method I have tried is buying the expensive topical treatment from the vet's office.

Good Luck