PDA

View Full Version : Favorite video for the trainer

Catrin
10-24-2011, 03:17 AM
I've been debating winter cycling shoes vs indoor trainer for a couple of months now; both are expensive and I promised myself that this year I would only get one. After debating and being honest with myself I made my decision and now have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Not the cheapest, far from the most expensive. I took my bike to my LBS and tested out all of the fluid trainers they offer and made my choice. Perhaps next year I will get the shoes, or not. This year I will stick with my toe covers and chemical warmers until I come inside for the winter.

The trainer came with a Spinnervals DVD, several LBS staff warned me to not judge Spinnerval offerings by that particular DVD as it is pretty bad. I also picked up a "scenic" DVD where you are riding the road in southern Indiana and northern Kentucky. These are places in driving distance from me so it is possible I could find myself riding the same places someday :)

I've noted they have a mountain bike DVD, has anyone used that, is it worth the $25? I won't know until I start using the trainer regularly if I will prefer instructional classroom DVDs over scenic, but would appreciate recommendations. They aren't very expensive but with a tight budget I don't want to waste my money.

Becky
10-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Your LBS is right- the later Spinervals options are of much higher production quality than the early ones. I like Hillacious and Time Saver I. I've also heard lots of good things about The Sufferfest downloads.

Veronica
10-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Both Selkie and I have reviewed several of the Spinervals videos. You can do an advanced search using either of names and searching on Spinervals.

Veronica

Catrin
10-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Both Selkie and I have reviewed several of the Spinervals videos. You can do an advanced search using either of names and searching on Spinervals.

Veronica

Sweet, thanks!

gnat23
10-24-2011, 08:43 AM
+1 for Sufferfests. They have a special going right now if you get them all in one big chunk, which I am now regretting getting them piecemeal. They are *hilarious* in addition to being stupid brutal.

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

-- gnat! "That guy's flapping jacket is driving me crazy. Get around him."

Catrin
10-24-2011, 09:35 AM
+1 for Sufferfests. They have a special going right now if you get them all in one big chunk, which I am now regretting getting them piecemeal. They are *hilarious* in addition to being stupid brutal.

http://www.thesufferfest.com/

-- gnat! "That guy's flapping jacket is driving me crazy. Get around him."

Can you burn them to DVD and play them on a normal DVD player for TV? I am looking at their site, but it looks like that might not be possible. I will ask them :)

ridebikeme
10-24-2011, 02:56 PM
I have to admit that I ahve done the Spinervals for so many years that I enjoy them. Although Iwill also say that I downloaded a couple from Sufferfest last year and liked those as well! I actually use both in my trainer class, and "yes" you can play the Sufferfest on the TV. :D

Have fun with the new trainer... it may not be as fun as riding outside, but you'll enjoy the added fitness come spring!:rolleyes:

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Irulan
10-25-2011, 01:21 PM
The heck with spinervals. I'm working my way through Battlestar Gallactica streaming. :D

zoom-zoom
10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Can you burn them to DVD and play them on a normal DVD player for TV? I am looking at their site, but it looks like that might not be possible. I will ask them :)

Yes.

And I loathe Spinervals workouts. Give me Sufferfest or Robbie Ventura's Real Rides series ANY day. I want to shove Coach Troy's stopwatch down his throat...dude is not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

roadie gal
10-29-2011, 05:23 AM
I really like the Endurance Rides DVDs. You have a choice of coached or just music. I did a review of their Las Vegas DVD a while ago that you can check out.

Catrin
10-30-2011, 04:10 AM
I really like the Endurance Rides DVDs. You have a choice of coached or just music. I did a review of their Las Vegas DVD a while ago that you can check out.

I purchased one of these when I bought my trainer, it is the "Hills" DVD that highlights southern Indiana and northern Kentucky...areas where I can easily go ride if I choose to do so :) Typically I prefer to mountain bike when I go south but I am looking forward to checking this out.

solobiker
10-30-2011, 06:24 AM
The heck with spinervals. I'm working my way through Battlestar Gallactica streaming. :D

I am with you on this!!:D I just got off my spin bike..today was interals for me while watching an episode from season one of X Files. I will do another session this afternoon with another episode which will be about 1.5 hrs total time on the bike. I do have some spinervals but needed a break.