PDA

View Full Version : 2006 MS150 Houston to Austin

KatieBelle
11-23-2005, 04:41 AM
I did it! I signed up for the 2006 MS 150 from Houston to Austin. I also joined Team BP. I am looking forward to raising lots of $$$ for MS. Anyone else riding in this?

Trek420
11-23-2005, 05:28 AM
according to the website the Top Hat will open for registration in Noveber hmmmm, but I'd like to do that this year. Already have some sponsors.

bikergirl42
12-13-2005, 06:22 AM
Me too!!! Had a great first time experience last year and am really looking forward to 06. Riding for BP also. We'll have a pretty big group of us from big V. I hope to do some recommeded rides in Houston getting ready.

texas_emily
12-13-2005, 04:13 PM
I'll be there in the crowd with you! This will be MS150 #3 for me. Being the early morning drop-off and Sunday afternoon pick-up person for my bf and his father 4 years ago inspired me to start *doing* the ride myself.

It's a blast!

TxRider
12-31-2005, 07:07 PM
New member here ... my BF & I will also be riding the MS150 with Team BP. This will be my fifth year to ride - looking forward to another great year!

Anyone else planning to ride the training series?

texas_emily
01-01-2006, 07:00 AM
I'm hoping to make it to some of the training series rides. I'll be out of state until the end of February, but would like to catch a couple after I get back.

If you have the opportunity, I would definitely recommend doing the Hill Hopper. Being so early in the season, the weather can be a bit sketchy, but it is a beautiful route and a well run ride. At one of the rest stations last year, the volunteers held your bike for you with you refueled, etc.

Kyna
02-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Didn't sign up in time last year, made it in before close this year! This will be my first MS-150 and I'm thrilled yet scared at the same time. Training with some friends who have done it before, *crosses fingers*. I have a bit of winter pounds to lose by April. I hope enough riding will take care of that because those extra pounds right now are causing chaffing I never had to deal with before. :eek: :eek:

Signed up for the WUWU and the hill hopper so far. I'm hoping for a good collection of T-shirts this year :p

Any of you train in the Houston area?

TxRider
02-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I am training in the Houston area ... are you signed up w/a team or riding solo?

I don't usually do many of the official MS150 rides because the team I ride w/has a very organized training series, but I would definitely recommend the Bluebonnet Metric Century in March ... I've ridden it the past 3 years & it's always been well-run. I'm planning to ride it again this year.

texas_emily
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
TxRider,

Did you do the Bluebonnet the year it rained so badly at the start? There was so much gunk in my cleats/pedals after being hearded into that livestock arena that I had trouble getting out of my pedals for most of that ride!

It was a lot of fun otherwise...those farms about halfway through the ride are beautiful!

TxRider
02-11-2006, 03:03 PM
Yes - I rode the ride that year & had a lot of trouble clipping out of my pedals as well! I remember trying to stop at one of the breakpoints & not being able to get out of the pedals until a couple of blocks past it ... which meant, no break for me. :(

You're right ... the countryside out there is really beautiful. We sometimes ride out that way from Zube Park. The route includes several distances from 25 up to about 60 miles.

Kyna
02-16-2006, 10:00 AM
I signed up with Team Mission Control. We have about 175 riders from a conglomerate of employees/friends/family of NASA contractors. Mostly though I'm training with my bf and his friends. We keep each other motivated by logging our miles on www.bikejournal.com

Did the West U Warm Up on Sunday (WUWU). OMG cold! I think it was about 36F at the start and 42F at the end. BRRRRR!!! Was fun though!

I think we have the bluebonnet on our "to do" as well as the Gator ride, the Hill hopper, and Space Race.

Aggie_Ama
04-20-2006, 09:20 PM
I just saw this thread ladies! I will be out with ya'll this weekend. I am riding with Ol' Army Cycling and my husband. The weather has been nasty in Austin, hopefully it will clear up for this weekend. :)

luv'nAustin
04-21-2006, 05:42 AM
This thread makes me sad :( I really wanted to ride too, but I knew that I was having a surgery in February that would keep me off of the bike for six to eight weeks.

Just got back on the bike two weeks ago and am happy to be back on the road.

Y'all have a great time and don't forget to give us your post ride report...I'll be looking for it!

texas_emily
04-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Aggie_Ama,

I'm riding with the Mustang/Wood Group team (and I'm a grad student at A&M). I guess we'll be yelling together tomorrow morning!

See you bright and early.
-Emily

Aggie_Ama
04-21-2006, 06:28 AM
Awesome, Emily! I started a Rhodes stadium last year, but this year I will be starting at Mustang Engineering with the team. I didn't ride with Ol' Army last year, but I did pop in for their yell practice. It was a blast.

TxRider
04-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Good luck to everyone this weekend! Stay safe out there! Looks like the weather is going to be great (although a bit hot), but a nice tailwind the whole way if the forecast holds true! :D

Robbin_G
04-21-2006, 07:33 PM
The promos for this are awesome!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b1C3u9LKak&search=WeFIghtMS%20Brokeback%20MS150%20Fundraising

TxRider
04-24-2006, 06:55 AM
Hope everyone did well ... thought everyone who rode would appreciate this ...

Top Ten signs you did the MS 150

10. Your legs hurt.
9. You learn that the connection between rocky road and spare tires is not just about excessive ice cream consumption.
8. You start liking small town cops.
7. You've actually heard of Beeville, Fayetteville and Industry.
6. You know that sweaty people in tight clothes are at places other than night clubs.
5. You realize that the effects of gravity, being over the hill, and sagging are not always bad things.
4. You yell "ON YOUR LEFT!!" at the produce aisle in the grocery store.
3. Your family members ask you why you haven't been flushing the toilet lately.
2. You think motorcycle dudes are pansies.
1. Two words: Tan Lines.

texas_emily
04-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Hehe! That's a pretty good list!

I hope that everyone had a fun and *safe* ride this weekend. Mine was a blast :D . Even better, as I was unloading my bike in the parking lot of my apt complex last night, one of my neighbors (who was out walking her dog) approached me and asked if I had ridden the MS 150 this weekend. When I told her that I had, she said, "Thank you so much! I have MS and I can't tell you how much it means to me that you did this!"

It was the perfect ending to a great weekend. I felt like such a hero.

Aggie_Ama
04-24-2006, 07:31 AM
TXRider- did ya get lost? Beeville? That would be a wrong turn putting you near Corpus! :p Definitely a good Top 10 list.

Emily- What a great way to end the weekend!

Did ya'll happen to see the man in the long pants unitards? On day one is was snake print. Day two is was tiger striped. :eek: Definitely one of the oddest outfits I have seen.

Did you guys go through the park? I got there earlier this year and it was much safer! What a blast.

Kyna
04-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Wow OMG that was sooo much fun! That list is perfect!!

11) your left (or both) hands hurt from shifting too much on those hills!

Crossed the finish line for my first MS-150 on my birthday. Great B-day present, right along with the ziplock bag of advil. :)

Grats everyone!

BTW anyone else see the unicyclists out there. :eek:

Aggie_Ama
04-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Congrats on finishing your first MS150. Was it not the most amazing experience?

Unicycle? Goodness, I didn't see that. :eek:

My top amusing things I saw:

1. The unitards take the cake.
2. A guy with a hole right in the crack of his shorts. It was about the size of a nickel and you just couldn't take your eyes off it! I kept wondering if it would rip! :eek:
3. A cyclist with a curly fro wig (or maybe if was Howard Stern) over his helmet.
4. The guy blowing past everyone in his Discovery Channel time trial suit, TT helmet and Discovery Channel Trek. Everyone went "Did we just get passed by Lance?" :D
5. The guy with the Arkansas Razorback covering his helmet. How hot must that have been?

TxRider
04-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I noticed that Beeville should have probably been Bellville but I just did a copy & paste. Or, someone was making a reference to the Bike to the Beach MS150 where the overnight is in Beeville ... not sure which!

I also saw two unicyclists this year & a couple of rollerbladers. The thing that took the cake though were the guys pulling their dogs in trailers! This one guy was pulling what had to be a 80 pound (or more) German Sheppard behind him (& passing me at one point :eek: ). Another guy was pulling what looked to be a lab or lab mix. Anyway, both large dogs - I can't imagine towing them up the hills!

There was an article in the Houston Chronicle last week highlighting the oldest & youngest riders. The youngest rider was a 6 year old girl riding with her father & the oldest was a 92 year old man. Both were riding for the first time. Today's paper had a picture showing this man crossing the finish line - what an inspiration!

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/3814158.html

Aggie_Ama
04-24-2006, 05:43 PM
I saw the German Shepard last year. He was so miserable by the end of both days. It got so hot and you could tell he wasn't happy. He was wimpering in his trailer. I felt sorry for the dog. It was probably the same guy because his owner had legs of steel.

Last year I saw a team of rollerbladers. They were cruising in a paceline outside Austin. They seemed to be taking the hills with no problem.